Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.. I am new the forum, sorry if I am posting in the wrong place. Let me know.

I was looking for some help on things I should look out for or expect to plan for in terms of service as I am looking to purchase a 2009 Honda Pilot Touring. It is in pretty decent shape. It has about 93,500 miles on it. Asking price is 12,900.

It hasn't had the water pump or timing belt replaced so that is likely going to be a $1K add on there. The front tires likely will need to be replaced in a year.

Anything else I should look out for? Appreciate the first hand experience and wisdom from folks that are familiar with this vehicle.

·
Registered
453 Posts
No, you should buy two Ford Escape turbos. Then when the first one overheats, blows the head gasket, and burns out at 50k, you can switch over to the second one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What state are you buying your pilot from? $12900 is a little steep considering it needs to have the works in maintenance. Timing belt, water pump, tensioner belts and pullys. At 100k miles you’re pretty much fair game for anything, including alternator, starter, battery, suspension everything. Dont mean to put you off, but unless you do your maintenance yourself or have a really really trusted mechanic, a second hand car can be a money pit, especially if your paying 10k plus dollars. My suggestion is to have a mechanic look it over before purchase.

Main issues to look out for are engine mounts, compliance bushings, check for spark plug fouling, Check valve train of the head nearest to firewall, you can have a lot of sludge and crap due to the VCM crap (disable it right away). Also check if you get pulsing from the brakes at high speed, our pilots tend to warp rotors.

·
Registered
171 Posts
1. If the vehicle has been in a road salt state, check the rear subframe mounts aggressively for rust. See the current thread for what they look like when they fail.

2. Search for "100k maintenance". You'll find a raft of things people have suggested replacing beyond the basics. Alzeal covered most of it, but you should be aware of the details behind each item.

3. Unless it looks new, has been driven in southern California since purchase, and has full, immaculate maintenance records, I also think the price is high. The need for a timing belt and water pump is a $1500 deduction from a fair price, and if the front suspension is original (possibly why the front tires are worn), that's another $1000. Don't be reluctant to keep looking - there's lots of Pilots out there.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hello.. I am new the forum, sorry if I am posting in the wrong place. Let me know.

I was looking for some help on things I should look out for or expect to plan for in terms of service as I am looking to purchase a 2009 Honda Pilot Touring. It is in pretty decent shape. It has about 93,500 miles on it. Asking price is 12,900.

It hasn't had the water pump or timing belt replaced so that is likely going to be a $1K add on there. The front tires likely will need to be replaced in a year.

Anything else I should look out for? Appreciate the first hand experience and wisdom from folks that are familiar with this vehicle.
Bought new 2009 touring. Currently 175k. Have done all work myself except leaking tranny seal which was done by dealer and they totally botched job. Not getting into that one now because there were about 10 F-ups they did on my truck. So far have replaced the timing belt, water pump, both front axles, front sway bar links and bushings, about 5 sets of front rotors, front struts, rear shocks, rear cat, alternator, compliance bushings, front steering rack slightly leaking, drivers seat opened at seam, spark plug tube seals leaking, possible crank seal small leak, and maybe some other small jobs which I cannot think of right now. I don't think Honda has the quality it used to have.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would look for a 2012 even if a little more $ or miles. It has updated styling, better mpg, and some other reliability improvement/fixess over the 09-11 Pilot. Will hold its value better as well. If it has a few more miles the timing belt may be done already.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all! I actually ended up going the other direction. I found a very well maintained a 04 pilot and 4x less of the 09 cost. I am doing mostly local driving and was priced fairly with the owner keeping very good logs of recent and routine services oil changes, timing belt. Newer tiers and brakes recently done.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks all! I actually ended up going the other direction. I found a very well maintained a 04 pilot and 4x less of the 09 cost. I am doing mostly local driving and was priced fairly with the owner keeping very good logs of recent and routine services oil changes, timing belt. Newer tiers and brakes recently done.
Nice congrats, I'm sure it'll serve you well!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow, I had no idea that the 09-11s had such issues. My 2013 has been great (other than brake rotors which I will replace once it gets cooler). I came just to say to check out the compliance brushings as that would've cost me $1100 before getting Honda to goodwill the repair.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Neither mine or my daughters 2011 have had any of these problems. Outside of normal upkeep all Iv'e had to change is sway bar struts, took all of an hour.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts