Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are like me, I open and close the rear hatch at least 4 times a day (dog in/dog out). One thing that really bothered me was that the license plate frame rattled and whacked the paint each time. Definitely not kosher.

So I bought a couple of 3M Bumpon clear rubber bumpers from the local PPG store. They are the same used for the FormFit air deflectors. Stuck them underneeth the edge of the plate frame, and viola, no more hitting the paint when the hatch is closed.

Eventually I will be replacing the dealer frame with something else, so I left them a little below the frame edge. If you do it, don't use cabinet bumpers that you find in the hardware store. They will eventually harden, turn yellow, fall off, and may damage your paint. Get the 3M Bumpons, guaranteed not to harm the paint if you want to remove them later.

PS- yes, the Pilot is filty and dusty. I wanted her really dirty to try out the new pressure washer this weekend :D

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
Threadhead said:
If you are like me, I open and close the rear hatch at least 4 times a day
Same here. My dealer (or Honda) put some foam rubber bumpies there for me.

The two things that bother me about the hatch is that there is no center handle. I'm usually on the left side (because of the way its parked in the garage) and find it hard to close with the right-side handle. Also, the gas shocks that keep the hatch open honk like an elephant. And when you get it 3/4 way down, how do you slam it closed without getting your grubby little hands on the nice painted finish?

Okay, maybe three things get me. All fairly trivial too...

PS. It's a quarter to midnight and I'm getting stuff off my chest. Gotta love the Internet. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Ferdball,

I was wondering about that myself. Honda should have designed a better way to close the rear hatch. maybe a handle on the outside to grab when I pull the hatch down.

Threadhead,

Great idea about the licence plate frames.
Where did you pick up those 3M Bumpon clear rubber bumpers?

I'm new to message boards and I'm still trying to figure out what
the local PPG store is. :confused:

Thanks

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Uh ... I think he meant the "PrG" store ... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip ...

PPG ... uh ... I mean PrG !

:2:

·
Registered
77 Posts
you can pull the interior handle and give it enough force to carry itself shut... just get your hands out of the way.

or you can push on the honda emblem...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Threadhead said:

PS- yes, the Pilot is filty and dusty. I wanted her really dirty to try out the new pressure washer this weekend :D

Whoa! :eek:

Please be REALLY careful using a pressure washer on a car, it can remove paint, molding or even tear rubber seals around windows. I highly discourage it, I actually blew a dime sized piece of gelcoat off my boat using one.:3:

Al

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey thanks for the tip Threadhead. This has been bugging me too. I can hear it rattle even going over big bumps. I guess a trip to HomeDepot is in order :)

SkyPilot
---
03 Pilot EX-L SS w/RB
01 Audi S4

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tony said:
Where did you pick up those 3M Bumpon clear rubber bumpers?
PPG- automotive paint. I'll bet Pep Boys might have them as well. Also, I would think just about any automotive paint store would have them.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: Tip of the day #1

AlH said:
Please be REALLY careful using a pressure washer on a car, it can remove paint, molding or even tear rubber seals around windows. I highly discourage it, I actually blew a dime sized piece of gelcoat off my boat using one.
The one I bought has adjustable pressure, so there's no problem.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Threadhead said:
Eventually I will be replacing the dealer frame with something else, so I left them a little below the frame edge. If you do it, don't use cabinet bumpers that you find in the hardware store. They will eventually harden, turn yellow, fall off, and may damage your paint
I did away with the dealer frame and attached vinyl bumpers to the back of my license plate. Worked great.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Watch the bumpers

You want the bumpers on the paint not the plate.
If you put them on the plate they will wear a spot on the paint!

·
Registered
920 Posts
I simply left the plastic dealer plate on and installed the state plate over it...no rubbing or rattling here...plus the plastic acts as a sort of washer...

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Good idea on the bumpers...the frame rattle is maddening!

Couple of hatch-closing ideas based on X'er experiences:

- The car is pretty airtight; try cracking a window (or close the hatch before closing all the doors) and it'll prolly go down a lot easier. The "throw" method wildpanda mentioned works best when the air doesn't compress and has somewhere to go (out).

- I'd discourage pressing the H symbol to close the hatch. Sheet metal there is pretty thin; it is possible to leave indentations. The plate itself has worked best for me.

YMMV.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Keeping my plate from rattling

I wanted a black frame around my plate. No screws on the bottom meant that it rattled loudly upon closing the gate. I found some black plastic license plate screws at Albertsons, cut the screw off flush with the nut on the backside of the plate, and placed 1/2 inch weatherstripping along the bottom of the backside of the plate. The weatherstripping goes over the bottom nut, and acts as the bumpon. When I reattached the plate to the Pilot, the top m6 screws held it all in place very firmly, no rattles at all, and I push the plate to finish closing the gate.

N_Jay, do you think that weatherstrip will scuff the paint? It's pretty soft.

Threadhead, I'm sorry but I can't imagine having the bumpons showing from beneath the plate as yours do.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Keeping my plate from rattling

casdas said:
Threadhead, I'm sorry but I can't imagine having the bumpons showing from beneath the plate as yours do.
They are barely noticable in real light. The flash makes them appear, that is why I used it.

Second, I plan to replace the dealer frame with maybe a 'Pilot' frame when they become available. Most are a little larger on the bottom, that is why I installed them so they stick down a little. Just thinking ahead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
SkyPilot said:
Hey thanks for the tip Threadhead. This has been bugging me too. I can hear it rattle even going over big bumps. I guess a trip to HomeDepot is in order :)

My Starlight Silver came with 2 rubber bumpers - Delivery Date - 08/26 -

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would think again about using a pressure washer on a car. If it is set to high a PSI it could damage the paint. I would not take that chance. You may not notice it at first but over time it could take a toll on your paint. People underestimate the power of some of these washers. Maybe if you can adjust it down it would be ok.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Re: Re: Keeping my plate from rattling

Threadhead said:

I plan to replace the dealer frame with maybe a 'Pilot' frame when they become available.
I got mine a few weeks ago from H and A accessories. Just waiting for my plates to come in...

·
Registered
804 Posts
TheWorm said:

- I'd discourage pressing the H symbol to close the hatch. Sheet metal there is pretty thin
Sheet metal? More like sheet plastic. Good ideas about closing the hatch last or pushing on the license plate.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Ferdball said:

Sheet metal? More like sheet plastic. Good ideas about closing the hatch last or pushing on the license plate.
Yea, sorry 'bout that. Was just looking @ a pic w/the piece w/the H emblem and see it's plastic not metal (I was thinking the A logo on the X). That plastic around the H will ultimately break or come loose since the hatch does require some force to close (with all the windows and doors shut). On the X, it sez "Acura" on that piece -- someone broke it early on (like early in the 01 MY) and warned us.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts