Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Tinting question....

4K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  kemosabe 
#1 ·
I'd like to have the windows on my Pilot tinted a little deeper (everything but the front driver and passenger windows).

I'm surprised Honda didn't add a deeper tint like other SUVs. This isn't a complaint, just more of an observation (the '01 old Mazda Tribute that I used to own....piece of garbage, by the way....came with a nice deep tint right out of the dearlership).

Is there anything that I need to be concerned with regarding the rear window tinting. Will the rear defogger have any issues with it?

Thanks.

#2 ·
The state (and maybe the county) you live in has limits on how deep the tint can be. Your local shops can tell you for certain, but here is a link to a site which lists them. Just make sure you go to a respectable shop so they don't get you in trouble and they do a good job.

I think the factory tinted windows are already pretty close to the max. If the driver's window and front passenger window are not tinted, then there may be more light entering the car than you are used to (if Mazda has tint on these windows). The result may make the other windows seem "less tinted" because there is more ambient light inside the Pilot, especially since the front window is so large.

I had the driver's window and front passenger window tinted to the legal limit and it made the rear windows seem darker.

#3 ·
I had mine tinted. The tint was the next shade in tint darkness you can get. the driver side window and the passenger side are factory 2 shades different. I had it added to all the windows which made everything still legal. According to the tint shop, the rear sides can be as dark as you like, same as limos. I haven't had any problem with the rear defroster effecting the windows. If it does however, I have a lifetime warranty and they will be replace.

#4 ·
It is possible that Honda left them a little lighter shade for night time driving. My wifes 98 Jimmy has a darker shade and you cannot see out the back rear view window at night. Pilot, no problem.

#5 ·
Question About Tinting

I have a question about tinting... when the shop "tints" your window(s), what exactly do they do? Are they adding a layer of "dark Saran Wrap" type of material or are they spray painting a film onto the window or what??? Pardon my ignorance in advance...

Thanks for an education...

#6 ·
I find the Pilot's tinting to be just right (for me). If it were any darker I think it would be difficult to see while backing up at night.
My Mountaineer was darker and I put in halogen backup lights because I couldn't see. Our Highlander is too light, it's easy to see into.
In southern climates it might help keep it cooler inside but that raises a question. Does the darker tint help keep the interior cooler or does it just make it look cooler?

Kemosabe, It's metallized saran wrap.

#7 ·
well, i believe it does keep the interior a little cooler, and it does look cooler :) . i haven't tinted the windows on ours yet, since it's not hot yet.

BUT, the tint also blocks UV rays, which can fade the interior. But if it's garaged at home and at work, that shouldn't be a problem. :)

#8 ·
two front driver & passenger side tint

I had mine tint the first day of delivery on two front doors; Drivers and Passenger side door, to State legal. See the Pics

:cool: 2003 Pilot SS EX-L RES,Fog Lights with Lower Trim,Crossbars for Roof Rails,Half Nose Mask,Rear Splash Guards,Running Boards,Rear Back-Up Sensors,Wheel Locks,Auto Day/Night Mirror,Wood-Grain Trim Panel—All Interior Trim,EX Emblem, VTEC Emblem,Gold Exhaust Finishers,Fog & Head Light using XD5 5100K Bulb, AutoShade Ventvisor,Fender Flare

Attachments

#9 ·
:cool: 2003 Pilot SS EX-L RES,Fog Lights with Lower Trim,Crossbars for Roof Rails,Half Nose Mask,Rear Splash Guards,Running Boards,Rear Back-Up Sensors,Wheel Locks,Auto Day/Night Mirror,Wood-Grain Trim Panel—All Interior Trim,EX Emblem, VTEC Emblem,Gold Exhaust Finishers,Fog & Head Light using XD5 5100K Bulb, AutoShade Ventvisor,Fender Flare

Attachments

#11 ·
If you tint all around 1 shade darker, it will work out great. that's what I did. the driver's window from the factory is the lightest, passenger next and then the back windows. 1 shade darker is the way to go. the back windows look almost as dark as limos with 1 sgade more.f

#12 ·
A hint about tinted windows - DO NOT use any ammonia based cleaners to clean the inside of the windows after tinting. If you've seen tinted windows that exhibit a purple look, you've seen the reaction to using these type of cleaners. Use the cleaner recommended by the tintiong shop or a cleaner that does not contain ammonia...

#13 ·
4603pba said:
If you tint all around 1 shade darker, it will work out great. that's what I did. the driver's window from the factory is the lightest, passenger next and then the back windows. 1 shade darker is the way to go. the back windows look almost as dark as limos with 1 sgade more.f

Yeah, that's what I meant. Go 1 shade lower all around.

Just curious, but what do they cost per window? This is my first tinting job on a car, believe it or not, and I just want to make sure I'm not getting rooked! :D

PS thanks Older than dirt for the info on the cleaning solutions to avoid for tints!

#14 ·
Tint cost

I paid $200 to get the "back 7" windows tinted - all but the windshield, driver's and front passenger's door.

Price was the same for any level of tint. Most shops charge about the same - it's almost all labor, so they'll negotiate some if they know you're shopping. Ask for the wintertime special price if you're in a cold place, since you have to wait a long time (weeks) for the tint to dry here.

#15 ·
I had all windows done, including driver & passenger for $270. Lifetime warranty included, at least as long as I own the vehicle. It does vary some dealer to dealer but I looked at 1 that has been in business for many years..

#16 ·
If your just tinting the driver's window and the front passenger window, you should expect a price between $50 and $70. The shop will probably have different different grades (same darkness) which vary in price because of the material quality. Get one that has a lifetime warranty.

#17 ·
Got a quote from a local guy. $200 for 35% darker on the front driver/passenger side and as dark as possible for the rest.

Sounds good (although, I'd probably leave the fronts as is) except for the 2yr warranty that he told me.

Need to shop around for lifetime warranties.

#18 ·
brooklynpilot said:
Got a quote from a local guy. $200 for 35% darker on the front driver/passenger side and as dark as possible for the rest.

Sounds good (although, I'd probably leave the fronts as is) except for the 2yr warranty that he told me.

Need to shop around for lifetime warranties.
Sounds about right for all windows. For just the front 2, mine were $70. For 5 windows on my wife's Sebring he charged $139. Also had her son's Ranger SuperCab done for the $139 price.

Not sure how much darker you can go on the rear "factory tinted" windows.

Good luck! :)

rod

#19 ·
Re: Question About Tinting

kemosabe said:
I have a question about tinting... when the shop "tints" your window(s), what exactly do they do? Are they adding a layer of "dark Saran Wrap" type of material or are they spray painting a film onto the window or what??? Pardon my ignorance in advance...

Thanks for an education...
They put a "wrap" type of material on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.