Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult is it to match the factory tint shade of the rear windows to the front?

The dealership quoted 125 for it; I realize that price is highway robbery. However, he had one on the lot already done and it looked great. Plus it is guaranteed forever.

I read in another thread to expect to pay 50-70 . That sounds more in line to what I was initially expecting. If I could be sure that someone else could get the match right, I would tell the dealership to keep their tint.

Is there a specific 3M shade that I could request?

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
$125 seems a bit pricey since you are only talking about 2 windows. Sounds like your dealer is trying to get his mark-up in there too. I would expect to pay no more than about $75. Color match should not be too bad, although it is usually pretty difficult to EXACTLY match factory tint with aftermarket film. I was planning to contact a local shop sometime this week and get a quote, so if I learn of a close match, I'll pass it on. I'm also going to check prices on the invisible bra.

rod

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Is it possible for aftermaket to get the same brand film as Honda? Or is it only Honda that uses that film? I really want to do this too and have been hestitant to use aftermarket because of the possible color difference. Haven't looked into it at all at my dealership (the less I see of them the better off I am... :rolleyes: )
but will do when I get my first service visit.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just had ours done a couple of weeks ago, and the match is almost exact to the factory tint. Cost $70 with lifetime guarantee.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
70 sounds good to me. Where in Houston did you (Aggie Pilot) have it done?

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Sage said:
Is it possible for aftermaket to get the same brand film as Honda? Or is it only Honda that uses that film? I really want to do this too and have been hestitant to use aftermarket because of the possible color difference. Haven't looked into it at all at my dealership (the less I see of them the better off I am... :rolleyes: )
but will do when I get my first service visit.
The factory tint is not film - it is the glass itself that is tinted. That is why it is sometimes difficult to get an exact match when you apply tint on the "other" windows. Honda should not be as hard to match as others - such as the bronze you see on the Lexus RX300.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had mine done from the dealer for $96.00 for both front Driver & Passenger side. The dealer only tint 5% dark because of the law in Mass. 5% is legal tint here in Mass.

SS EX-L RES #35211

·
Registered
226 Posts
Since the windows are naturally made darker (and do not actually have a film on them), I decided to go darker all around.

Got a quote from someone in my neighborhood of $225 with lifetime warranty. It was a shade darker on the fronts, the rears and the back window.

Not sure if I should go max allowable tinting on the rears and back window as it might cause some difficulty with nighttime driving.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Dealer Done

The dealership I bought my PILOT from tinted the front two windows as part of the deal. The tint shop did a great job of matching the two front windows with the rest.

I don't know what it costs because I gotta freebie!!!!

It looks good though!

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
If the Dealer has one on the lot already tinted, check the color from the inside and out. If it looks okay, try to find out where they had it tinted (look in the glove box for a warranty card), you can go there yourself for half the price (~$65). The brand of the tint used, the tint grade (dyed verses metalized verses sputtered), and the LTV level you pick will affect the final appearance.

I had mine done at a place that uses Llumar brand and I choose a metalized grade with a lifetime warranty. I think the color match is good outside, but there is a slight color difference on the inside (I think this is because of the UV screen already on the driver and front passenger windows) which you only notice when looking toward the sun.

·
Registered
144 Posts
rtresco said:
70 sounds good to me. Where in Houston did you (Aggie Pilot) have it done?
Cy-Fair Auto Tint & Alarm
6830 N Eldridge Pkwy (Eldridge and FM 529)
Phone: (713)466-4242

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea... wish I would have worked this into my deal.

I was just quoted $60 from a really good shop for premium tint on both windows (5 year warranty). They are telling me they'll be able to match the shade.

Think I will go with them and save that $65.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Someone on Ebay is selling Pre-Cut film in Charcoal 22 color. I assume this the same color everyone else got - or close to it.

Is this tint legal? Some states have rules about how much tinting is allowed on the driver/passenger windows and other rules for the rear passengers and rear windows.

·
Registered
226 Posts
gksmith said:
Someone on Ebay is selling Pre-Cut film in Charcoal 22 color. I assume this the same color everyone else got - or close to it.

Is this tint legal? Some states have rules about how much tinting is allowed on the driver/passenger windows and other rules for the rear passengers and rear windows.
Try this link on what tinting is legal per state:

http://autowindowtintings.com/main.cfm?action=laws

·
Registered
481 Posts
Darn, no tinting allowed in Illinois.
Now I'll have $140 extra to go and by the crossbars for the roof rack, the trailer hitch, the rear-mounted bike rack, the sunroof, the....

Rob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine is in right now getting front window tinting from the dealer for $85. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I think this is a pretty good deal from the dealer. I think, however, I may have gotten too good of a deal. My salesman was canned a few days after I bought my car for many reasons, including promising too much to customers.

I feel bad for the guy, but not too bad!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
toytalker said:
Mine is in right now getting front window tinting from the dealer for $85. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I think this is a pretty good deal from the dealer. I think, however, I may have gotten too good of a deal. My salesman was canned a few days after I bought my car for many reasons, including promising too much to customers.

I feel bad for the guy, but not too bad!
Good luck. That sounds like a much better price from the dealer, considering mine was going to charge me 40 more.

I'm set up with a local tint shop this coming Saturday for 60 (premium grade tint). They claim to be able to match the shade, plus they did an awesome job on my buddy's black 540 (twice). He asked for a chromed tint, and they did a great job putting that on; but when he pulled out of the shop, he looked like a drug dealer. He ended up turning back around and having them redo it in a dark smoke color - MUCH better. They were nice enough to give him a discount, even after having to rip off that chome stuff from the first go around. :1pat:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank God for Competition.

This morning, the Honda dealership beat the other tint shop's price by 5 dollars. So, instead of 125, they are doing it for 55.

Once again, I wonder how the dealerships derive their pricing...

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
You know Honda is just sending it someplace else anyway... probably to the same shop that gave you the quote.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good point, tracy

... or they're using Saran Wrap and Elmer's Glue instead of real tint.

Will definitely be looking at it closely when I pick it up this evening.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts