Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had the timing belt and water pump and other associated parts replaced in my 2013 Pilot. After about a month or maybe 6 weeks I noticed a sound that I most often associated with the vibration from a loose heat shield. Not a serious issue, so put off getting if tacked. About 2 months later the timing belt gave out, less than 5k miles on the belt. Needless to say the motor was shot and now $6200 later I am looking for answers. The guys who put the new motor in could find no evidence a faulty belt installation, and pump and tensioners were all functioning as they should. Now I am driving the vehicle with the new motor, and I just realized that the sound of a loose heat shield is no longer present. My question now is what was the sound I was hearing. The motor install guys say they did not touch a heat shield and there are none loose.

Thanks for any insight you can offer here.

ps, the belt was not an OEM part, lesson learned there that is for sure...

·
Registered
116 Posts
At least one person here got burned by a counterfeit belt that fell apart after a short time. As far as the noise, unless it was the belt itself, I'd suspect bad idler or tensioner bearing, bad water pump, or the tensioner pivot bushing. The belt retaining ring on the crank sprocket would shred the belt if it was installed backward, but I think it would have happened much more quickly.

These belt replacements that fail soon after replacement scare me; mine's going to need one soon!

·
Registered
992 Posts
If it was a metallic rattle, a bad idler or loose idler or pulley bolt. loose engine mount; basically something caused in reassembly. If more like a fluttering noise, then likely the TB tensioner. In this failure mode, the tensioner still has the substantial spring tension (stiff when pressed on), but will have lot some to all of its damping fluid, which allows the belt to flutter and more or less beat itself to death.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
534 Posts
whoever who did you TB job used faulty components. with new high quality components like OEM or those found in a non-counterfeit aisin kit the engine will be smooth and quiet, as in the only sound you should hear are the fuel injectors clicking and the valve train. noises should not be ignored unless you know 100% what is causing the noise is a non-issue

·
Registered
854 Posts
Probably the tensioner was junk and let the belt move the tensioner pulley creating the metallic rattle. Eventually the belt jumped due to lack of tension and BOOM - new motor time. Unfortunately even the Honda branded OEM tensioners from the dealer aren’t the “best” or rather don’t seem to hold up terribly well with the way Honda is using them.

My original tensioner was leaking when I did mine at about 65k miles and 7.5 years old. IMHO it’s the weakest part of the design. Many others have had early leaks and failures too unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Echoing briantii's excellent guidance above: There's another thread today discussing the rattling and similar sounds, especially when cold, that can be traced to a failing timing belt tensioner. It seems the quality and consistency of the replacement tensioners, especially some of the aftermarket units, can be poor. Often the noise is accompanied by the damping fluid (oil...) leaking out of the tensioner, so an early diagnostic step for the noises might be a visual inspection of the tensioner area for that fluid leak. You can see at least the rear half of the tensioner through the right front wheelwell, without removing anything except the wheel. Regardless, the telltale noises deserve immediate attention.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
29 Posts
When doing any of the timing belt and components, always use OEM parts. I believe it was aftermarket water pump that fails all the time, forgot the make of the water pump.

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
140 Posts
At least one person here got burned by a counterfeit belt that fell apart after a short time. As far as the noise, unless it was the belt itself, I'd suspect bad idler or tensioner bearing, bad water pump, or the tensioner pivot bushing. The belt retaining ring on the crank sprocket would shred the belt if it was installed backward, but I think it would have happened much more quickly.

These belt replacements that fail soon after replacement scare me; mine's going to need one soon!
Honda or Aisin kits only for timing belt replacement.

Astrobuf

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recently had the timing belt and water pump and other associated parts replaced in my 2013 Pilot. After about a month or maybe 6 weeks I noticed a sound that I most often associated with the vibration from a loose heat shield. Not a serious issue, so put off getting if tacked. About 2 months later the timing belt gave out, less than 5k miles on the belt. Needless to say the motor was shot and now $6200 later I am looking for answers. The guys who put the new motor in could find no evidence a faulty belt installation, and pump and tensioners were all functioning as they should. Now I am driving the vehicle with the new motor, and I just realized that the sound of a loose heat shield is no longer present. My question now is what was the sound I was hearing. The motor install guys say they did not touch a heat shield and there are none loose.

Thanks for any insight you can offer here.

ps, the belt was not an OEM part, lesson learned there that is for sure...
I had a related story on my 2011, but better outcome. My wife heard a loud "clacking" sound... which was the tensioner slapping back and forth. We parked the vehicle immediately. I went and got an Aisin kit from NAPA and re-did the timing belt & water pump job. Now several years later and no issues. I had gotten a "cheap" kit off eBay for maybe $100. Clearly bad/counterfit etc. Interestingly though I couldn't find anything really wrong with the tensioners or bearings. The belt just got way loose inside of 2000 miles. Had I left it, it would have definitely jammed up / broken very soon.

Check out Eric the Car Guy on youtube from this week. Same exact story on his Acura TL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts