Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Scary way is too... It hurts to say it but it works...
Breakers bar on an impact socket.
With the tire off jack it down low.
Set the socket in ace with it wedged between the floor and suspension.

When you have it jammed up really good. Just hit the starter!!!
Yiu will either break the bar or the bolt will come loose.
Not recommend but like i said before... It works.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts

Or a tooth or 2 off your flywheel or starter. (The fear)

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
304 Posts
I had hoped that I could take a break from maintenance on my Pilot for a little bit after all the suspension and axle work, but I'm pretty sure my timing belt tensioner is going bad. This past weekend I started getting really bad engine rattling/tapping coming from the right side of the engine whenever I applied gas when maintaining speed going up a hill, and only when the engine was warmed up or hot. There's no noise when it's cold, or when cruising on level ground. Watching youtube videos of Pilots with timing belt noise sounds exactly like what I was hearing. So I'll be ordering the kit and all these tools and supplies and attempting this once everything arrives.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

Or a tooth or 2 off your flywheel or starter. (The fear)
Sounds like the kind of tactic my grandfather would use... which would work every time for him but the first time I try it something catastrophic happens.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Sounds like the kind of tactic my grandfather would use... which would work every time for him but the first time I try it something catastrophic happens.
That Crankshaft Pulley bolt is torqued to 181 Foot Lbs. It's been exposed to 100k miles of extreme temps and the elements so it's likely tighter than that after several years. I cringe at the thought. I've had a family member who had a flywheel with broken teeth replaced on a 2013 Accord he bought used from a dealership. Thankfully they covered it.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
304 Posts
I'm ordering all the parts for doing the timing belt replacement on my 04, so I'm getting the AISIN kit from RockAuto. Also getting 2 gallons of Honda coolant from the local dealer, and replacing the accessory belt and power steering belt since they're also 7 years old and have 80k miles like the timing belt. Is there anything else I should replace at this time, like the acc belt tensioner or idler pulleys? If they're not making any noise now, should I just leave the OEM ones on the car, or should I just replace them while I'm in there?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I wouldn’t do the acc tensioner unless it is causing a problem. I think I changed mine around 200k. I usually do the upper and lower radiator hose when I do the water pump and timing belt. You could probably do them every two timing belt changes but the hoses are cheap and you will already have the coolant out anyway. I also do the plugs and PCV valve when I do the timing belt. Basically, this stuff I do every 100k.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
304 Posts
I wouldn’t do the acc tensioner unless it is causing a problem. I think I changed mine around 200k. I usually do the upper and lower radiator hose when I do the water pump and timing belt. You could probably do them every two timing belt changes but the hoses are cheap and you will already have the coolant out anyway. I also do the plugs and PCV valve when I do the timing belt. Basically, this stuff I do every 100k.
Thanks. I think I'll do those radiator hoses for good measure. I already did the plugs and PCV and EGR valve last month. Will be replacing the leaking valve cover gaskets this weekend when I do the valve adjustment, and also starting the process of switching to MaxLife ATF this weekend along with replacing the ATF filter. The timing and accessories belts are the last major project I'll do, but won't be till next weekend once the parts arrive.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,525 Posts
If they begin to leak, keep in mind that you will be undoing and redoing all this work out to get to them at a later time. If you do all of the work now its time effective and if you are having the work done then it is cost effective.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Only if they're leaking? Or as a preventive maintenance kind of thing?
If they have never been replaced, it makes sense to replace them because of age. I've got a small rear main seal leak on my 04 Civic, but I'm not in a hurry to split apart the engine and transmission to fix it. Not yet anyway. The front is nice and clean with new seals.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
304 Posts
Does anyone know the Honda part number for the front crankshaft seal? I easily found the camshaft seals on Hondapartsnow, but can't find the front camshaft seal in any of their diagrams.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Does anyone know the Honda part number for the front crankshaft seal? I easily found the camshaft seals on Hondapartsnow, but can't find the front camshaft seal in any of their diagrams.
This might help.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
304 Posts
Nevermind, I finally found it by looking at every diagram and saw it on the "Oil Pump - Oil strainer" diagram. Funny that searching for "crank seal" on Hondapartsnow only gives you the rear seal, but when you finally find it on the oil pump diagram and click on the part, the part description says "front crank seal". You'd think that their search function would find that, but apparently not.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
304 Posts
If they have never been replaced, it makes sense to replace them because of age. I've got a small rear main seal leak on my 04 Civic, but I'm not in a hurry to split apart the engine and transmission to fix it. Not yet anyway. The front is nice and clean with new seals.
Will I need any special tools for removing the crank or cam pulleys?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Will I need any special tools for removing the crank or cam pulleys?
I use a small bent regular screw driver to extract the old seal. (They make seal extractors if you can find one small enough). I find a socket that matches the seal size to tap on to press in the new one. I use a pipe wrench (wrapped in cloth) to hold cam pulley while removing the bolt But they do have a tool for that.

Cam Pulley tool.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
304 Posts
I use a small bent regular screw driver to actually extract old seal. I find a socket that matches the seal size to tap on to press it in. I use a pipe wrench (wrapped in cloth) to hold cam gear while removing the bolt But they do have a tool for that.
So no gear pullers are necessary? Just wasn't sure how tight those pulleys are installed once you break the retaining bolt loose.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
So no gear pullers are necessary? Just wasn't sure how tight those pulleys are installed once you break the retaining bolt loose.
The cam pully slipped right off on my 04 Civic. I've never owned a Honda V6 long enough to replace seals. I "assume" they will slip off.

Reactions: Daltongang
21 - 40 of 45 Posts