Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For us third gen guys at what milage did your timing belt need changing? My 19 isn’t even close yet just picking y’all’s brain, lol.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I believe the factory specification per the Maintenance Minder is around 105000 miles. You should have a MM code "4" pop up around then. It will be for spark plugs, timing belt, check valve clearance adjustment, and check water pump.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would say 90-100k range listen and inspect for rattle and coolant leaks. Im at 80k on my but it was bought with 69k last May. I plan to do it around the 90k range just for peace of mind. I hate the fact Honda still using timing belt rather than chain like most manufacture. Chain makes it so much easier to just swap out the water pump and pulley and your done.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
I've never done a timing belt water pump job on a Honda that does not have a power steering fluid pump. I wonder what the work around is with the new power steering equipment.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,402 Posts
It's cheap insurance on an otherwise trouble free (most of the time) car. Most you'll pay is $1,500. I would rather continue with timing belt engines rather than Honda try and redesign their V6 engines and have to work through the problems that always come from newly designed anything.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Honda told us it was at 80k so I did it around 77k, With new water pump and serp belt it was about $1500 but they also needed to do some sort of oil pump seal as well so out the door I was almost $1600. I have the extended warranty as well so I like to keep things within Honda intervals but I am sure it could go till 100k miles.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Honda told us it was at 80k so I did it around 77k, With new water pump and serp belt it was about $1500 but they also needed to do some sort of oil pump seal as well so out the door I was almost $1600. I have the extended warranty as well so I like to keep things within Honda intervals but I am sure it could go till 100k miles.
So the dealership lied and told you 80k? And then hit you for $1600? That's really dishonest.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I did at 100k and 200k.. They told me to do water pump at 200k, and I did.. It was $1500 with oil change, timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, etc...

I think my 100k one was in the 1k range..

Reactions: adscarbro

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did at 100k and 200k.. They told me to do water pump at 200k, and I did.. It was $1500 with oil change, timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, etc...

I think my 100k one was in the 1k range..
Your original water pump lasted till 200K? Pretty awesome.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Your original water pump lasted till 200K? Pretty awesome.
I've chanced it to 180k before and without a doubt, there are lots of perfectly good water pumps being thrown in the trash for peace of mind.

Reactions: adscarbro and Sha93

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've chanced it to 180k before and without a doubt, there are lots of perfectly good water pumps being thrown in the trash for peace of mind.
Awesome. Yeah water pumps are one of those things. I do crawl underneath every oil change to check things out. As longs as it ain’t leaking, send it...lol.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The water pump rec. is because it is driven by the t belt, and requires the t belt to be removed replace it. We have a high rate of leaks shortly after doing only a t belt, then the customer is upset because it all that labor over again. As long as we're talking about it, I also replace a lot of gates kits water pumps due to a grinding noise at about 700 miles after replacement.

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The water pump rec. is because it is driven by the t belt, and requires the t belt to be removed replace it. We have a high rate of leaks shortly after doing only a t belt, then the customer is upset because it all that labor over again. As long as we're talking about it, I also replace a lot of gates kits water pumps due to a grinding noise at about 700 miles after replacement.
That’s also my general rule...while your in there.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts