Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard Scotty Kilmer say that all Honda engines after 2018 have timing chains, not belts. I also read this somewhere. Is this true for the V-6s?

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
I heard Scotty Kilmer say that all Honda engines after 2018 have timing chains, not belts. I also read this somewhere. Is this true for the V-6s?
The Texas heat must have gotten to ol' Scotty.
Even the 2020 Pilot owner's manual still calls for periodic timing belt replacement.

He mentions a 2021 Crosstour, but that supposedly will only have 4-cylinder engines.

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
He mentions a 2021 Crosstour, but that supposedly will only have 4-cylinder engines.
Crosstour come back in 2021 ! ? 😃

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
I have a family member who has 2018 Civic 4cyl turbo and it has a chain.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Gents, I'm going with what XGS said, maybe Scotty has a little heat stroke. The service manager where I take mine said the same thing, V6 still has a belt. And that sucks, I'm probably not going to buy another Honda V6 because of this.

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
Thanks Gents, I'm going with what XGS said, maybe Scotty has a little heat stroke. The service manager where I take mine said the same thing, V6 still has a belt. And that sucks, I'm probably not going to buy another Honda V6 because of this.
I want the V6 because its easy to service and if maintenance properly you can get 300k miles.
The turbo charged stuff just burns up faster.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,234 Posts

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
Bingo, listen here...

First, he says that Honda went cheap and this 2011 V6 Crosstour has a rubber timing belt.
Then, he says that Honda switched their 4-cylinder engines to timing chains long before that.
Then, he says that for some reason Honda kept the timing belt on the V6 engines.
Finally, he says that the newer ones - apparently referring to the V6 engines - have chains, too.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,317 Posts
Proof positive that Kilmer is not a trustworthy source of information. Personally I can't stand his voice it's like nails on a chalk board... (which ages me)

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
Bingo, listen here...

He slams the car for having a rubber timing belt, but then likes it and questions why Honda quit making them. He was also wrong claiming the car has no back up camera (unless it was broken). The model he was in has the monitor in the rear view mirror.
I'm a Scotty fan. He puts out some useful info and brings a lot of awarness to the public. I like that. He's entertaining to watch.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
The best advice anyone can give you is to take anything Scotty Kilmer or almost all Youtube people says with a gigantic grain of salt. He's forgotten more about how to fix cars than I'll ever know but half the stuff I've seen him say I don't agree with or wouldn't do. Also his voice makes me want to hurt things so I don't watch him.

Only guy I mostly trust is Jason from Engineering Explained, he's a great ambassador to my chosen profession and lets legitimate research and facts drive his videos rather than opinion and speculation.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I want the V6 because its easy to service and if maintenance properly you can get 300k miles.
The turbo charged stuff just burns up faster.
I agree on the Turbo charged 4 poppers, and am not a yuge 4 popper fan anyway. I'm thinking of going Toyota 4Runner or Tundra on the next go around. I asked the question because I was casually interested in the 2020 Ridgeline after the fixed some of its shortcomings(I was willing to stock up on Pepto Bismol). I thought maybe the "Earth Dreams" version of the 3.5 swapped the belt for a chain.

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
I agree on the Turbo charged 4 poppers, and am not a yuge 4 popper fan anyway. I'm thinking of going Toyota 4Runner or Tundra on the next go around. I asked the question because I was casually interested in the 2020 Ridgeline after the fixed some of its shortcomings(I was willing to stock up on Pepto Bismol). I thought maybe the "Earth Dreams" version of the 3.5 swapped the belt for a chain.
I guess for me. Staying ahead of the fear if a TB failure let's me sleep at night. I change mine at 90k. I aim for 90k because sometimes it ends up being 95k before I get to it. I've had many Honda's with TBs. Never once have I had one fail. While your changing it, it gives opportunity to maintainace other components. Then your good for many more miles. Some of those chain engines are not easy to work on.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,849 Posts
The best advice anyone can give you is to take anything Scotty Kilmer or almost all Youtube people says with a gigantic grain of salt. He's forgotten more about how to fix cars than I'll ever know but half the stuff I've seen him say I don't agree with or wouldn't do. Also his voice makes me want to hurt things so I don't watch him.

Only guy I mostly trust is Jason from Engineering Explained, he's a great ambassador to my chosen profession and lets legitimate research and facts drive his videos rather than opinion and speculation.
Agreed, if he was that good he would have taken over for Click and Clack when their show ended.

·
Registered
11,371 Posts

Agreed, if he was that good he would have taken over for Click and Clack when their show ended.
I dont agree with everything Scotty says. I don't care for some of the products he's pushed. I like how he keeps his old vehicles going. He still does work on other people's cars. He's very good at using a scanner and diagnosing. That should give him some credibility. More than what some give him. I find it interesting how some find him irritating. Who has the problem?
In a Scotty Kilmer voice...,
REV UP YOUR ENGINES! 😃

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I dont agree with everything Scotty says. I don't care for some of the products he's pushed. I like how he keeps his old vehicles going. He still does work on other people's cars. He's very good at using a scanner and diagnosing. That should give him some credibility. More than what some give him. I find it interesting how some find him irritating. Who has the problem?
In a Scotty Kilmer voice...,
REV UP YOUR ENGINES! 😃
🤮 🤮 🤮

Reactions: bdozer1965

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
1 - 20 of 58 Posts