Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,865 Posts
Why?
The cost of a timing belt service is about $1,200. Any sort of conversion would likely cost way more and require significant work to be done on the engine. Return on investment would take a while I'd imagine.

·
Registered
169 Posts
What mod are you talking about? I've never heard of an aftermarket mod to do that. The number of modifications to the engine to supply the means to lubricate the chain and provide an oil return, as well as being able to contain the oil under a redesigned timing cover and keep it out of the crank sensor would be extensive. Although I can think of a certain awful GM engine in my wife's Equinox that has a chain driven water pump that leads to a quick demise if it leaks antifreeze into the oil, I don't think you'd want that.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I've never seen it, check on V6P or the Bisimoto Ody to see what they use potentially... It would be a pretty complicated design and manufacturing process, which would likely make it cost prohibitive... there are plenty of aftermarket timing gear/chain kits that cause problems on Small Block Chevys and that is two gears with no tensioners, guides, etc.

It's actually an easy DIY for anybody.

Find a 2010 or later Toyota 4-runner. Trade your Pilot for it. Cost of the trade won't be much more than modifying a Honda V6 to be something it's not, and reliability will be way better.

Otherwise, "no" is definitely the right answer.
Well pretty much EVERYTHING else in the class has chains...

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Ok, so it’s not possible. But I wish there was something more durable than a belt. Just saying.
It’s baked into the DNA of the Honda J-engine. There are a lot of really good features of the J engines. If you like the performance, economy, smoothness, and longevity of a Honda J V6, you will have to accept the timing belt. If you can’t stand a timing belt, you need to get a different ride. No engine design is perfect, but some are better than others. Honda J engines are pretty damn good.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot LX 2WD
66 Posts
The amount of money you’d spend on an upgrade will most probably be high. Just get the tools necessary to make the job easier and invest in learning and doing the labor. I can only imagine, if it’s doable, it will be a heck of an expensive upgrade that makes no sense in the end. Cool though.

·
Registered
Home of the 302k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,122 Posts
Proven durability for 100k miles, unless your in a harsh climate or really working the engine hard. L.., change every 60k. I’ve installed this kit on multiple Hondas with V6 engines with no issues.
Font Metal Fashion accessory Logo Advertising

Mitsuboshi Timing Belt
Aisin Water Pump
Aisin Tensioner
Koyo Tensioner Bearing
Koyo Idler Bearing

Purchase through a reputable dealer like RockAuto to ensure it’s genuine.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
153 Posts
Proven durability for 100k miles, unless your in a harsh climate or really working the engine hard. L.., change every 60k. I’ve installed this kit on multiple Hondas with V6 engines with no issues.
View attachment 160519
Mitsuboshi Timing Belt
Aisin Water Pump
Aisin Tensioner
Koyo Tensioner Bearing
Koyo Idler Bearing

Purchase through a reputable dealer like RockAuto to ensure it’s genuine.

Yep, second time this kit has gone into our 2011 EXL, the one removed has no signs of wear to speak off.
I'll take the J-engine with a belt over any friggin' VAG chain-driven V8 with plastic guides and chains located in the back "because they would never fail" (curses in German).......

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Hi! Handygander,

If you are somewhat handy as your avatar says.The timing belt kit is not that difficult to do.This is were Youtube is your friend. Eric O at South Main Auto has a great video and 1AAuto also.You'll only need to do this at every 105,000 miles or 7 years. When I did mine the timing belt looked like it could have gone a lot longer (gates kit purchased to do the job). Even so I'd not chance going much longer but I'm sure others have:)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
It should also be noted that a chain isn’t inherently better and in some cases wear out faster than belts even. They wear out “stretch“ and the guides wear / break as do the tensioners. At least with a belt it’s designed to be replaced and is typically much easier than replacing the chain on a car. Some of the newer cars are even putting the chain on the back of the engine instead of the front which means you have to pull the engine and trans to get to it.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
It should also be noted that a chain isn’t inherently better and in some cases wear out faster than belts even. They wear out “stretch“ and the guides wear / break as do the tensioners. At least with a belt it’s designed to be replaced and is typically much easier than replacing the chain on a car. Some of the newer cars are even putting the chain on the back of the engine instead of the front which means you have to pull the engine and trans to get to it.
Spoken like a true german car (Audi with the firewall timing assembly) owner!

This has been true for many vehicles with chains, for some reason they didn't get proper lubrication or leaky tensioners or guides that break and the cost to replace the timing chain and parts is way more than a timing belt. But some (looking at Honda K series, for instance) are damn bulletproof and hundreds of thousands of miles without a hiccup.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Spoken like a true german car (Audi with the firewall timing assembly) owner!

This has been true for many vehicles with chains, for some reason they didn't get proper lubrication or leaky tensioners or guides that break and the cost to replace the timing chain and parts is way more than a timing belt. But some (looking at Honda K series, for instance) are damn bulletproof and hundreds of thousands of miles without a hiccup.
Heh yeah but it's not JUST the Germans doing it. I seem to recall a GM and a Ford engine that had it at the back too. I think the GM 3.6's fail even sooner than VW's were - like 70k miles. Even the worst VW's would make 80k. :ROFLMAO:

Also even the mighty K series isn't immune - I've read of some of those needing chains in the 100k - 150k range. Also the VTC actuators are a really common problem on the CRV and Accord.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts