Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,848 Posts
Why?
The cost of a timing belt service is about $1,200. Any sort of conversion would likely cost way more and require significant work to be done on the engine. Return on investment would take a while I'd imagine.

·
Registered
156 Posts
What mod are you talking about? I've never heard of an aftermarket mod to do that. The number of modifications to the engine to supply the means to lubricate the chain and provide an oil return, as well as being able to contain the oil under a redesigned timing cover and keep it out of the crank sensor would be extensive. Although I can think of a certain awful GM engine in my wife's Equinox that has a chain driven water pump that leads to a quick demise if it leaks antifreeze into the oil, I don't think you'd want that.

·
Registered
757 Posts
It's actually an easy DIY for anybody.

Find a 2010 or later Toyota 4-runner. Trade your Pilot for it. Cost of the trade won't be much more than modifying a Honda V6 to be something it's not, and reliability will be way better.

Otherwise, "no" is definitely the right answer.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
I've never seen it, check on V6P or the Bisimoto Ody to see what they use potentially... It would be a pretty complicated design and manufacturing process, which would likely make it cost prohibitive... there are plenty of aftermarket timing gear/chain kits that cause problems on Small Block Chevys and that is two gears with no tensioners, guides, etc.

It's actually an easy DIY for anybody.

Find a 2010 or later Toyota 4-runner. Trade your Pilot for it. Cost of the trade won't be much more than modifying a Honda V6 to be something it's not, and reliability will be way better.

Otherwise, "no" is definitely the right answer.
Well pretty much EVERYTHING else in the class has chains...

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Ok, so it’s not possible. But I wish there was something more durable than a belt. Just saying.
It’s baked into the DNA of the Honda J-engine. There are a lot of really good features of the J engines. If you like the performance, economy, smoothness, and longevity of a Honda J V6, you will have to accept the timing belt. If you can’t stand a timing belt, you need to get a different ride. No engine design is perfect, but some are better than others. Honda J engines are pretty damn good.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot LX 2WD
36 Posts
The amount of money you’d spend on an upgrade will most probably be high. Just get the tools necessary to make the job easier and invest in learning and doing the labor. I can only imagine, if it’s doable, it will be a heck of an expensive upgrade that makes no sense in the end. Cool though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. I’m new to the Pilot scene so learning the ropes. Had a Element but it didn’t work well for pulling my boat. So the Pilot is my upgrade

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have no idea about failure rates, but in general, the common philosophy is to replace the water pump when doing the timing belt which is likely a pretty expensive job on it's own.

·
Registered
300k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour Owner
13,542 Posts
Proven durability for 100k miles, unless your in a harsh climate or really working the engine hard. L.., change every 60k. I’ve installed this kit on multiple Hondas with V6 engines with no issues.
Font Metal Fashion accessory Logo Advertising

Mitsuboshi Timing Belt
Aisin Water Pump
Aisin Tensioner
Koyo Tensioner Bearing
Koyo Idler Bearing

Purchase through a reputable dealer like RockAuto to ensure it’s genuine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts