Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious! How many members (or percentage thereof) who have changed (or not ever?) their timing belt? I wonder at what mileage (or years) before they ever did their first one? Just figuring out the average mileage or years did this occur! My "05 was in 2011 at 96k miles. It now has 140k miles. I know it's due. Hmm...

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
good luck :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! But do you wish me luck getting the answers or keeping my timing belt which is now 8 yers old? lol!

·
Registered
282 Posts
its not just the belt, its also the water pump, tensioner pulley, etc. So your guessing which component will fail. Statistically speaking I bet you can go a long time since they set the replacement interval to prevent 99.xxx% of the failures.

I have changed two, both around 105K, not a bad job after getting the crank pulley bolt loose.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,934 Posts
I thought I rolled the dice waiting until 80k miles at ~11 years on my wife’s 2005 Pilot. OP, you’re more of a risk taker than I am. ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
While on the subject of timing belts, how about time? my belt been on for 5 years but only 20,000 miles on it, should I change it?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Honda's got better data than any of us so the standard 105K (give or take.... the MM governs if the car is 2006 or later, but seems to pop the code around this time) is probably the best guide. That's the theoretical crossing point where the risk starts costing more than the repair. But I'd bet that the majority of Pilots, especially those in benign climates/environments, would go double this without failure. Having said this, the issue to consider is that the belt fix costs $1K, but the failure costs $5K+ not including the hassles of breakdown, downtime, finding a replacement engine, etc. And there is the issue of ancillary failure (water pump, tensioner, etc.) that while not causing as catastrophic a failure as the TB, still can result in breakdown and higher expense by putting one in a jam to get it done.

Assuming you're not selling the car in the near future, at 140K, I'd do it when convenient or you see a good coupon. No need for panic, but don't put off much longer. I did mine at 110K.

- Mark

·
Registered
289 Posts
While on the subject of timing belts, how about time? my belt been on for 5 years but only 20,000 miles on it, should I change it?
Honda used to spec a 7-yr calendar limit, but beginning in 2006, the MM governs which has no calendar tracking capability. Perhaps their cumulative field experience started to indicate that calendar time was not a factor in breakage, or perhaps they improved the belt construction to have the belt age better. Who knows?

5-yrs and 20K miles is well below any reasonable limits, so I wouldn't worry about it at all. Beyond 10-yrs or so, I I might start thinking about doing a premature replacement even if mileage was low. Might not too.

- Mark

·
Registered
27 Posts
Honda used to spec a 7-yr calendar limit, but beginning in 2006, the MM governs which has no calendar tracking capability. Perhaps their cumulative field experience started to indicate that calendar time was not a factor in breakage, or perhaps they improved the belt construction to have the belt age better. Who knows?

5-yrs and 20K miles is well below any reasonable limits, so I wouldn't worry about it at all. Beyond 10-yrs or so, I I might start thinking about doing a premature replacement even if mileage was low. Might not too.

- Mark
thank you for the input, that makes me feel a little better

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And of course, we also want to know any consequence (bad, or none) to not changing (or delaying) TB per maintenance schedule. That will be the purpose of this post.Thanks!

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Lol! But I did change it in 2011 at 96k miles.
Woops, I misread that. I guess I’m a bigger gambler than you are.?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ha, Ha! But I gambled on my radiator! I had planned to replace it 5 years ago but didn't follow. Last month I had a transmission leak. Luckily, no mixing with coolant took place. Well, I guess, we all play this Russian roulette when it comes to different parts of our vehicles. Hmm, what's next, I wonder...

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
And of course, we also want to know any consequence (bad, or none) to not changing (or delaying) TB per maintenance schedule. That will be the purpose of this post.Thanks!
Having said this, the issue to consider is that the belt fix costs $1K, but the failure costs $5K+ not including the hassles of breakdown, downtime, finding a replacement engine, etc.

- Mark
I think Mark said it best a few posts back. A timing belt breakage, with an interference engine, has a high probability of being a very expensive or catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yes, I agree! However, many here knew about the radiator issue (especially '05 Pilot) and continue to roll the dice, nevertheless. And many didn't have any problem, as well! I have done my maintenance ahead of their schedules for most of the time. I realize that the price of freedom (to roam, lol) is continued vigilance! Many of us who own the first gen Pilots are at the "breaking point" (no pun intended) when it comes to spending/chasing troubles. Should we just dump it, roll the dice by spending more or keep driving it without further fixing or pay for pricy maintenance? Hmm... Thanks!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yes, I agree! However, many here knew about the radiator issue (especially '05 Pilot) and continue to roll the dice, nevertheless. And many didn't have any problem, as well! I have done my maintenance ahead of their schedules for most of the time. I realize that the price of freedom (to roam, lol) is continued vigilance! Many of us who own the first gen Pilots are at the "breaking point" (no pun intended) when it comes to spending/chasing troubles. Should we just dump it, roll the dice by spending more or keep driving it without further fixing or pay for pricy maintenance? Hmm... Thanks!
In my opinion, if you have a well-maintained, mechanically sound, rust-free first gen in 2019, this decision just comes down to being realistic about your plans for the vehicle.

If you want to keep it for at least a few years, keep doing the maintenance. The number of first-gens still on the road suggest that your odds of maintenance dollars being a good investment are pretty good. There's ample evidence of Pilots going 250k miles.

If, realistically, you want to sell it in the next year, (maybe the small issues have become a nuisance, or maybe you just miss that new car smell or want the tech in something newer), the resale value on a good first gen is pretty high for what they are. Don't spend more on maintenance, or wait for something else to go wrong. Cash out now and move on.

Doing nothing is a waiting game for terminal failure. With a car that already has issues, that may be a good strategy. But with one that has been maintained well, as you indicate yours has, it makes no sense to me.

The '05 radiator thing is an excellent example. If you have an '05 that is in otherwise solid condition with an original radiator, you should either get around to replacing it to eliminate a known elevated risk factor for terminal failure, or get your money out of it and walk away. Hoping for the best while nature takes its course is often a good strategy with kids, but not so much with machines.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
A valid point that you bring up here most of us do have many long and enjoyed miles on these gen 1's . I'm also at the crossroads on this subject..The boss owns on of the 06's at our house she claims it's paid for so whatever she puts in it's hers. She also dropped her jaw when I pointed out that the amount i already invested in time and parts I would have purchased a new vehicle already and no P note .. As for my 2015 it's a pos ... soon as my warranty runs out i'm dumping it ... would rather go back to a Gen 1 knowing the crap that came out in the later years. Maybe things have changed for the 2019's But it looks now of a mini van versus looking like a truck.. right now almost every part other than the engine , trans , and chassis has been either repaired or replaced.. so much money just to keep it on the road. On the other hand i can bet any money my pilot would make any trip tossed at her. ..just my 2 cents

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Whoa! I didn't know this! Spending a lot of time lately gazing at the new Pilots wondering what if. Well, for sure, the older our vehicles get, the "more damn if you do and damn if you don't" moments that will take our breath away, lol! When I dropped $2k in the summer of 2016 for a new ac compressor, starter and a rebuilt alternator, I was hoping just to keep her for another 2-3 more years. Then the airbag light came on and it's another $400, new set of tires for $600, both this January. This summer, $1,500 for 4 new brakes, alignment and struts. Last month, new radiator for $600 after a major transmission leak--luckily, without mixing of coolant (I blamed myself for not goin thru my plan to replace it 5 years ago and every years since then--I rolled the dice and almost paid for it). I didn't see these when I plopped $2k just to hang on for 2-3 more years. But I'm firmly decided this time to not spending another $1k for a new TB (It's been changed once in 2011 but since this is not an issue for many first gen and frankly, I really don't care anymore at this point and because of the age of the car). If she only lasts for just one more year, I'll take it. I'm cutting my losses! However, I'm not turning a blind eye on safety--she will not be roaming far from home anymore. And this is where the "great compromise" happens--she's on light duty from now on! Rolling the dice, rolling the dice...Keeping my fingers crossed! We all want to have our cakes and eat it, too, eh? At what price, brother? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts