Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Man I gotta try the Lisle socket. I'm still doing the Jack Stand method with extentions and cheater pipe.
You of ALL People ..your just as bad as someone else we know... couph plplplpl couph 🤪

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
couph plplplpl couph
Need some help with your cough, there?

BTW, never used a cheater pipe. You can save on some knuckle busting if you choose the second option here.*

* I hereby declare that to be this forum's version of being rickrolled. :p

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
BTW, never used a cheater pipe.
If you own a large Pittsburg floor jack from Harbor Freight, you own a cheater pipe by default. The handle can be removed a used as such. So don't be afraid to add it to a breaker bar to bust the ATF fill bolt or the Crankshaft Pulley bolt. 💪

·
Registered
5,112 Posts

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Ah, your college frat brothers.
Mine was...

I θ π

“I. Eta Pi”

I ate a pie.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
2,516 Posts
If you own a large Pittsburg floor jack from Harbor Freight, you own a cheater pipe by default. The handle can be removed a used as such. So don't be afraid to add it to a breaker bar to bust the ATF fill bolt or the Crankshaft Pulley bolt. 💪
They way things are going over at HF if you own anything from Pittsburg that is in any way related to lifting a vehicle, you are looking to make the wife a very wealthy woman.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
HF 6T stands have been holding my summer car up at winter storage height for a couple decades now. They didn't make the recall lists. Maybe mine were made before the "tooling wore out"? They work great so far, but have always gotten a careful lever set once at height and before weight went on.

I use a couple of the older 3T stands under the center carriages on my lift too, especially if the car will be off the ground for more than a short while on the lift. MaxJax medium-rise two-post lift. Stands still get a workout.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Man I gotta try the Lisle socket. I'm still doing the Jack Stand method with extentions and cheater pipe.
I was surprised. Worked really well. I’m even a little bit air starved on the gun.

To tighten it I used the torque wrench then marked the degrees required and impacted to the specified 60 degrees. I know Honda says not to tighten it with an impact but I can’t see much difference if you’re just using it to get the required angle after proper torquing. I used a regular impact socket for that to ensure I didn’t go over.

I use a 6 foot pipe for my Lexus with the 2JZ and hold the pulley with a section of old belt and a chain wrench.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
In my casual collection of things I have some 3/4"-drive stuff that allows for a 4 or 6-foot bar on a socket. Half-inch stuff is a bit shaky when you need more than a couple feet of "leverage". Breaker bars in half-inch are like pretzels with cheaters attached.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I was surprised. Worked really well. I’m even a little bit air starved on the gun.

To tighten it I used the torque wrench then marked the degrees required and impacted to the specified 60 degrees. I know Honda says not to tighten it with an impact but I can’t see much difference if you’re just using it to get the required angle after proper torquing. I used a regular impact socket for that to ensure I didn’t go over.

I use a 6 foot pipe for my Lexus with the 2JZ and hold the pulley with a section of old belt and a chain wrench.
I tighten with an impact using a regular socket and never have had a problem. In fact 90k miles later to do the job again, it's back as tight as it was from the factory.
Same with that silly ATF fill bolt.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
In my casual collection of things I have some 3/4"-drive stuff that allows for a 4 or 6-foot bar on a socket. Half-inch stuff is a bit shaky when you need more than a couple feet of "leverage". Breaker bars in half-inch are like pretzels with cheaters attached.
I've twisted off a couple of three 1/2 inch drive extensions that were made in China. Twist snapped a Craftsman once. The impact grade Harbor Freight ones do quite well. They dont flex near as much as chrome ones.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
I tighten with an impact using a regular socket and never have had a problem. In fact 90k miles later to do the job again, it's back as tight as it was from the factory.
Same with that silly ATF fill bolt.
That ATF bolt... the one that allows you to say just about every stupid curse word you can think of on how Honda is built .. just make sure no little toddler on a 3 wheeler from the neighbor hood is standing there watching you when you turn into a gorilla trying to get that bolt OPEN...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yep. Safety glasses are a must. When I hear an explosion I always wonder if my breaker bar blew apart or if the bolt came loose. So far the breaker bar has always won.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts