Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The noise is there only when the engine is cold. Timing belt was last replaced at 130k, 5 years ago using a Dayco kit. Now at 175k so I should have at least another 2 years/60k miles left to replace.
Took the back timing belt cover off to check the tension on the belt. It is nice and tight. Looking at it when engine was running I did not see any flopping around.
Next I took the drive belt off and the noise was still there.
Is it possible to have TB tensioner noise even if the belt is tight? Where else should I look?

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
The noise is there only when the engine is cold. Timing belt was last replaced at 130k, 5 years ago using a Dayco kit. Now at 175k so I should have at least another 2 years/60k miles left to replace.
Took the back timing belt cover off to check the tension on the belt. It is nice and tight. Looking at it when engine was running I did not see any flopping around.
Next I took the drive belt off and the noise was still there.
Is it possible to have TB tensioner noise even if the belt is tight? Where else should I look?
A TB tensioner exerts a lot of force. Even at half its strength, it'd still make the belt tight. A failing tensioner will usually have hydraulic fluid leaking out the plunger side.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
Change it for an Aisin kit. Not too sure about Dayco. You're going to have to change it in just a couple of years anyway. You could just change the tensioner, especially if you DIY, but otherwise while you're in there you may as well just do the whole kit and get it over with.

·
Registered
32 Posts
And are we sure that's where the noise is coming from? Valves needing adjustment will often clatter when the engine is first started cold.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And are we sure that's where the noise is coming from? Valves needing adjustment will often clatter when the engine is first started cold.
I am not sure about that. I adjusted the valves less than a year ago. I know for sure that the noise is coming from the TB side.
Funny thing is that after valve adjustment once engine warms up I hear ticking. I added a bottle liqui-moly anti friction last time I change engine oil and it took care of it for a while but it's back now. but since an engine additive took care of it temporarily I assume the ticking is just a loose valve and should be fine. No check engine light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts