Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I had my timing belt, water pump, tensioner done at a shop. Water pump was oem the component kit was gates and the hydraulic tensioner was aisin. After less than 500 miles it was making a ticking noise that with a stethoscope was comming from the hydraulic tensioner so he replaced that with another aisin one and still the same noise. Then changed out the tensioner pulley assy. And still same noise so I got mad and went to Honda dealer and purchased everything besides the water pump since that was already oem (belt,hydraulic tensioner and tensioner pulley assy. And idler pulley)and had them all installed and now that everything is back to oem I still have the same noise. The hydraulic tensioner is basically hammering against the tensioner assy. making the noise. So is there anything else that can be causing this issue with the same rattle/hammering noise no matter what brand parts are being used? It’s holding tension the belt isn’t loose at all but still has the rattle noise. The spark plugs were also changed with same oe ones and the passenger side motor mount was replaced with aftermarlet one as well. It is louder after it’s been sitting a few days and its noticeable at lower speeds between 20-30 around 200-2500 rpms. I’m almost to the point of just getting rid of it but don’t want a car payment it only has 110k miles

·
Registered
129 Posts
are you absolutely certain it's a timing belt related issue? The serpentine belt tensioner pulley bearings go frequently. It's not clear if you replaced that assembly or it's bearings.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Maybe you could post a sound clip or video so we can hear.
With all that's been done, it's likely not timing belt related.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
are you absolutely certain it's a timing belt related issue? The serpentine belt tensioner pulley bearings go frequently. It's not clear if you replaced that assembly or it's bearings.
I replaced the serpentine belt tensioner assy this morning and still same noise

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Every time I try to take a video clip I cannot hear it in the video
Well, we can't hear it either! I suspect that something else is causing the ticking sound. There is a power steering pump, an alternator, and an AC compressor all living in the same area, and all rotating with the engine at the same RPM. I suggest that you take a good look at all these rotating systems for the clicking noise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, we can't hear it either! I suspect that something else is causing the ticking sound. There is a power steering pump, an alternator, and an AC compressor all living in the same area, and all rotating with the engine at the same RPM. I suggest that you take a good look at all these rotating systems for the clicking noise.
The noise is there even without the serpentine belt on

·
Registered
129 Posts
This may sound weird but perhaps try and remove the engine top cover and see if it goes away. If the rubber plugs are missing that thing can bounce around and telescope an unusual number of sounds and vibrations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts