Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Timing Belt skipped 5 teeth on rear head. Took off from a Light. And it started running like cr*p. Drove a mile to the mechanic. Took it apart, and told me that the belt skipped in the rear head 5 teeth. He put on a new belt. Tensioner was shot, replaced all the parts. Calls me up telling me that the motor is toast. Not worth fixing. If valves got bent on the rear head. Is it possible to just replace the head? Mechanic says that it's not worth it. I just bought this Pilot 7 months ago for 10k. Carfax shows that the Timing belt was done by a Honda dealer 30k miles ago.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
How much for a remanufactured head? Has he checked the other head? The Timing belt covers both heads.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
The head(s) can be replaced and is worth looking in to.

It be intresting to know if they reused the old tensioner. You never heard loud rattling? That's usually the symptom of a failing tensioner.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
If the valves contacted the piston I would have little confidence in that engine's future. If you can grab a junkyard head cheap and have the know-how (which it sounds like you don't if you didn't attempt the timing belt) you may find everything is fine but if it damaged a rod bearing or the piston or the cylinder wall it could die very quickly.

Pistons and valves aren't meant to contact, sure the bottom end is a lot more substantial than the top end but that doesn't mean it wasn't damaged in all of this.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I have a family member who is driving an 06 Accord with rebuilt heads after a timing belt break. That's been years ago and is a daily driver vehicle.

·
Registered
312 Posts
First, I would make sure that the front head is ok. A leak down check should be good enough.

If it only needs a rear head I can’t imagine how that would not be worth it to me. I would either repair the head I had by putting valves in it or get a used one. Before I put the used one on I would still have someone go through it.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
279 Posts
wonder what his diagnostic tests were that made him say the engine is toast? if the timing ONLY jumped a couple teeth I doubt that would be enough to cause damage, just rough running. reset the belt with a new tensioner and see how it runs. then do a leak down test on the cylinders and compression tests on them all as well before you just go replacing heads or worse, purchasing a new engine

·
Registered
570 Posts
Mechanic says that it's not worth it. I just bought this Pilot 7 months ago for 10k.
"Worth it" is all relative.

Even if you have to replace the whole motor, you'll be in it for more than your insurance would pay you, but your incremental spend will be less than it will cost to get another Pilot.

If it's in otherwise good shape and you're easy on your vehicles, it's probably well worth fixing. But as others have suggested, until you know exactly what's wrong, you're just guessing.

If you really trust this mechanic, get his report on what's wrong, not his appraisal on what it's worth. If you're not sure about his trustworthiness, it might be time for a second opinion.

·
Registered
740 Posts
5 teeth = bent valves. I would 100% get a used Honda head before a reman. I have installed 15 or so customer supplied reman heads almost everyone had some issue. Many are decked enough to change compression enough the ecm flags a misses randomly on that bank. Good luck finding that as the cause unless you know what your looking for. I cc every combustion chamber before install for 2 reasons 1. so I know if the compression ratio is going to be altered. 2. To check valve sealing.
If the customer still insists on using reman heads they are told and sign they understand that there is no warranty of any kind.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
5 teeth = bent valves. I would 100% get a used Honda head before a reman. I have installed 15 or so customer supplied reman heads almost everyone had some issue. Many are decked enough to change compression enough the ecm flags a misses randomly on that bank. Good luck finding that as the cause unless you know what your looking for. I cc every combustion chamber before install for 2 reasons 1. so I know if the compression ratio is going to be altered. 2. To check valve sealing.
If the customer still insists on using reman heads they are told and sign they understand that there is no warranty of any kind.
And this is exactly why the mechanic recommended a new engine. Even with all of the caveats you just listed and signing a waiver, how happy is that person going to be if they get their vehicle and it throws a bunch of codes and runs like garbage? I know if I were the mechanic I would highly discourage this.

·
Registered
2007 EX-L
404 Posts
"motor is toast" sounds like he is done working on it. I wouldn't take anything else there. I suspect bent valves, so I would pull the head and take a look. Actually, I would pull the whole engine to get a good look at it, but that's me.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
"motor is toast" sounds like he is done working on it. I wouldn't take anything else there. I suspect bent valves, so I would pull the head and take a look. Actually, I would pull the whole engine to get a good look at it, but that's me.
I'd pull the heads. Check for piston damage or scoring on the cylinder walls. If scored, I'm looking for an engine. If it checks out, replace head(s).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I second the used heads over reman. This is a more common vehicle so parts are more plentiful but I helped a buddy of mine "save" a 91 Mitsubishi 3000gt VR-4 that jumped time. Parts for something like that are harder to come by so we did a reman job and the extra labor/worry of it all if I had to do it again I'd find a used head (which we ended up having to do anyways after an overheat.) As far as the engine, I say it ain't over till it's over. Barring piston/cylinder damage as mentioned above, I dont see any reason why the vehicle can't be saved.

·
Registered
740 Posts
If you have the time and a GOOD machine shop available, I would have your heads checked and repaired. Very rarely is the piston or lower end damaged. Few new valves and refresh and you should be back in business.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts