Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just throwing a data point out there if anyone is interested. I just had the timing belt replaced at the local honda dealer on our 06 pilot w/ 101k miles. They did the timing belt, water pump, tensioner and an oil/filter change and the total cost was $1434 (including fees, tax, etc), after a $150 coupon.

They recommended a spark plug change, which they quoted at $460 (!!!!!) and fluid changes (ATF, brake, steering, rear diff and coolant) for another abt $820.

Keith

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,931 Posts
Does your bill for the timing belt and water pump replacement also specify coolant being replaced? If it does I’d be questioning why they are recommending a coolant change.

You might consider finding another repair shop, unless that is the going rate in your area. For reference it cost me ~$1200 for timing belt, serpentine belt, tensioner, water pump, and coolant two years ago. Shop rate was $155 then, now it’s $170. I’m curious what shop rate is in your area since I thought I live in one of the most expensive regions in the US.

And if you have basic mechanical skills you can replace atf (drain and fill), coolant, and VTM fluid for about $130 in fluids/crush washers and two hours of your time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I had my choice, I would have done the timing belt replacement myself. I will not have them do the fluid changes as those are smaller jobs that I can do myself without having to worry about scheduling my wife and kid's transportation to be offline (the reason I didn't do the timing belt myself). This post was mainly for letting people know what costs are like (I searched for pricing information, so I assume others do as well). This is in southeast Virginia. I don't have any idea what their shop rate is.

Coolant is included on the bill for the timing belt but I suspect that's just replacing what drained out, as opposed to flushing all the old coolant out of the radiator, heater core, etc, which is what I'd expect from the coolant flush they quoted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts