Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I know theres a lot of threads about this but heres my story. It's sort of time sensitive. I just got my rig and the timing belt was done at 85k and its not necessarily time to get it done at 122k on the clock 2011 EX-L. Long story short, the dealership that the vehicle has historically been serviced at runs a special for timing belt service with visual inspection of tensioner for 285.00 with doesnt include a 10% off service coupon. Two reasons I'm considering it are it seems a great deal
almost too good to be true, even with not doing the tensioner which was replaced at the 85k service and also the fact that in several weeks I will be driving 1200 to get my kids from Dallas for the summer, then will be going back at the end of July so thats a lot of miles. The other dealership in town is offering the exact same service for 800. I get there may be extra cost but should I risk it? Visual inspection looks good, the plugs arent fouled although theres a little more oil consumption than i would like so I slapped a svcm on it but any input would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
If that's a dealer that's an excellent deal. I'd just have them do the tensioner no matter what while they are there (And the water pump).

Where are you getting this deal, I'm sure others would happily drive a couple hours for that kind of discount. I've been seeing $1,400+ around me in MD.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, This is at El Paso Honda In El Paso, Texas. I've enclosed pictures of the service listings for both EP Honda and their sister dealer Rudolph Honda for comparison. EP Honda does by default include an oil change with their default mileage service which brings the total to 420 but I'm sure you can omit that. Rudolph by comparison charges 820 which from what I've seen here is more in keeping with the standard cost which is why I'm a little skeptical. I'm only considering it because the last TB service was done at this dealership at 85k and they did the who shebang at that time. I cant say how long this deal is gonna be going but at face value its a GREAT deal yes?

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Yes, great value. Replace the water pump and tensioner while in there, the cost should be parts plus an hour of additional labor for both (they may try to charge more). It says they will inspect valve clearance for that price, for an hour more of labor just have them adjust while inspecting.

I'm jealous.

Reactions: CKJacen1982

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what I was gonna be hoping but in my experience but in my experience if it seems if it seems too good to be true, it usually is :-\ so i was wondering if anyone anyone came across and additional charges or anything with a deal like that. I think Im gonna bite the bullet before my trip just to be on the safe side for piece of mind even though I have almost 60 k on my existing TB even though I dont need it I dunno when a deal is gonna come along like this again. If anyone else wants to take advantage of this then I'm more than happy to help!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For what its worth Honda did replace the coolant right before I got the vehicle although they didnt do the hose package.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Seems too good to be true, I would confirm in person. Offering timing belt, spark plugs and checking valve clearance for $285 when an ATF and transfer drain/fill (this takes about 20 minutes and maybe $30 of materials once on the lift) is listed at $243 seems very odd.

·
Registered
107 Posts
something doesnt sound right.
The tensioner alone is 130-150. Maybe the price was mis-typed. I'd take advantage of this special for 285 but BE READY. cause it sounds like there will be a lot of upselling.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
No. I would not let them touch the timing belt after 32k miles, if there is no problems. Unnecessary at any price.
If any of these have not been done..., I'd replace the spark plugs, serpentine belt, PCV valve, clean the MAF, inspect coolant, drain and fill ATF, replace power steering fluid, inspect brakes, replace brake fluid.
I would not do a valve adjustment if there is no valve clatter. This can create other problems like possible oil leak or intake manifold/plenum leak if gaskets are not replaced with it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Even if they upsold a tensioner and a WP that would still be considerably under the 1200$ that most dealerships are charging right?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No. I would not let them touch the timing belt after 32k miles, if there is no problems. Unnecessary at any price.
If any of these have not been done..., I'd replace the spark plugs, serpentine belt, PCV valve, clean the MAF, inspect coolant, drain and fill ATF, replace power steering fluid, inspect brakes, replace brake fluid.
I would not do a valve adjustment if there is no valve clatter. This can create other problems like possible oil leak or intake manifold/plenum leak if gaskets are not replaced with it.
I get that, I was more so thinking about being proactive in case this went away but noted. As far as the other maintenance that's all actually already done. I did a lot before the 100+ el paso heat has hit us 🔥. Brand new ps pump/resevior, coolant swap, brake fluid swap right before I got the vehicle, I did the valvoline transmission swap at your recommendation along with 0w20, new belt before the ps pump when I was chasing an engine rattle/idle problem, I always clean the MAF as I've had one actually fail before. The plugs will be done next week though cuz of some excessive oil consumption before I installed svcm. Did I miss anything? I just thought that was a good deal for a good dealer service, especially considering that's the dealer where this car has historically been serviced at before I got it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I suspect the answer is in the "some models extra" note in the second screen shot.

If it really is that cheap and they didn't do the water pump before, I would consider it. My water pump wasn't replaced and started leaking about 40k miles after the previous owner had the timing belt done, so I had to start over.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
I get that, I was more so thinking about being proactive in case this went away but noted. As far as the other maintenance that's all actually already done. I did a lot before the 100+ el paso heat has hit us 🔥. Brand new ps pump/resevior, coolant swap, brake fluid swap right before I got the vehicle, I did the valvoline transmission swap at your recommendation along with 0w20, new belt before the ps pump when I was chasing an engine rattle/idle problem, I always clean the MAF as I've had one actually fail before. The plugs will be done next week though cuz of some excessive oil consumption before I installed svcm. Did I miss anything? I just thought that was a good deal for a good dealer service, especially considering that's the dealer where this car has historically been serviced at before I got it.
Laser Iridium spark plugs and a S-VCM, are really important ones. Sounds like your on top of it. Should be good to go.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,856 Posts
The “oh, by the way while we were in there we found &&& and suggest you also replace @@@“ will likely drive the price of that service up. If you can really get it done for that price it’s a great deal. Also confirm that an OEM belt is being installed.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,068 Posts
What? Are you reading what you wrote:

I read: 'timing belt service with visual inspection of tensioner for 285.00'

To me, that means they're just going to take it a part and LOOK at the TB tensioner?
What good will that do? It's not working or it is.
They probably won't even take it apart! And just say it needs a 'complete TB job to those who they think they can scam!

What comes with this TB service?

IMHO- SCAM written all over it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What? Are you reading what you wrote:

I read: 'timing belt service with visual inspection of tensioner for 285.00'

To me, that means they're just going to take it a part and LOOK at the TB tensioner?
What good will that do? It's not working or it is.
They probably won't even take it apart! And just say it needs a 'complete TB job to those who they think they can scam!

What comes with this TB service?

IMHO- SCAM written all over it!
Looks like somebody's wearing their sensitive shirt.....My bad, I had a typo when I wrote tensioner when I should have wrote "water pump." My question is have YOU read the literature and service outline because by Honda's own advisement they only do a VISUAL inspection of the "water pump" at the MM4 service as STANDARD and the enclosed pictures outline exactly what the service entail so I don't understand why you would ask again.. Whether you change the WP everytime regardless of proper service or not isn't the question I asked. Contrary to popular belief you can tell quite a bit through a simple visual inspection. Weeping coolant perhaps and to indulge the tensioner for a minute, last I checked it leaks & loses tension prior to failure. Correct me if I'm wrong but if I SEE leaking that's a bad thing right? Let's not be so shadetree in the future and just assume They aren't gonna do the job they're asked of. For your education I've enclosed the Honda guidance on MM4 service recommendation:

5 Speed Automatic 2WD EX w/Leather & Navigation - Recommended service:

• Replace spark plugs
  • Replace timing belt and inspect water pump
    If you drive regularly in very high temperatures (over 110°F, 43°C), in very low temperatures (under -20°F, -29°C), or towing a trailer, replace every 60,000 miles (U.S.) / 100,000 km (Canada).
  • Inspect valve clearance
  • Independent of the maintenance messages in the information display, replace the brake fluid every 3 years.
  • Inspect idle speed every 160,000 miles (256,000 km).
  • Adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3 only if they are noisy.
I appreciate everyone else's input and thoughtful opinions. Theres to be a degree of upselling expected but I think that could be said if more than half of of shops. As NG pointed out these too few miles on the belt to justify changing it out now but I think that when it comes time I'll see if this is still the set price but for now after all that I think this thread has run it's course.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Even if they upsold a tensioner and a WP that would still be considerably under the 1200$ that most dealerships are charging right?

I found my receipt of when i did my timing belt service.
02/16/2019

total cost 698.25
included: timing belt, water pump, & coolant.
I also provided them with passenger side motor mount which they replaced at no cost.

Freehold Honda is where I got it done. They're located in Freehold NJ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts