Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I just purchased a 2007 Honda Pilot EX-L with 102,900 miles on the clock. I'm happy to report that this vehicle is in fairly pristine condition, especially for it's age. It appears to have been a 1-owner vehicle. While I don't believe the classic sales guy line of "old lady only drove it to church and back" (haha!) I can certainly tell the previous owner cared for the vehicle and got all the work done on time. One of the reasons I can tell this is because they seem to have gotten all/most of the work done at the dealer -- as indicated by the Carfax report.

On to why we're here: I do *not* see timing belt service on the list of services in the Carfax report. From the reading I've done on this vehicle so far, seems like Maintenance Minder will tell you to perform this service somewhere before or up to 105,000 miles (from what I can gather that's the max mileage before the service is due). I've read how to put Maintenance Minder into "forced activation" mode (ie, to tell you what upcoming services you can expect). When I do this, I only see a service B (oil and filter) - and no sub services listed.

It's quite possible that the 3rd party dealer I bought this vehicle from may have cleared/reset Maintenance Minder to sell it with no maintenance indicators showing (oil life also shows as 100%). It's also certainly possible the previous owner did this at some point, but... The drive belt seems somewhat old - it has some wear, but isn't in terrible shape either. So my *guess* is we're probably still working with the original timing belt.

SO: should I just replace the timing belt for peace of mind? Should I wait until Maintenance Minder tells me to do so? Waiting seems somewhat risky. Final thought -- is there an easy way to inspect the timing belt without removing a ton of stuff in the engine bay?

Thanks for your help, appreciate any insight you've got!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when in doubt, replace.
Makes sense, I'm not going to disagree with that logic. :)

Is there an easy way to inspect the belt prior? Or does one need to remove enough just for inspection that you might as well replace by that point?

·
Registered
174 Posts
based on your comment that the dealership did most of the service, I would expect to see it on the carfax report. You can always call the dealer and ask. guessing the seller wanted to unload it before the major service.

·
Super Moderator
4,259 Posts
You really can't tell by just looking at it. You're right, if you've already removed a lot of the stuff to take a look at it, may as well go all out and replace it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone! I've called the dealer, turns out they can send me the service records (which they are in the process of doing). If I don't see timing belt listed, I'll go ahead and do that.

Last question -- how do I update Maintenance Minder that I've just replaced the timing belt? My concern is -- if/when I replace this part -- the computer will believe it's been done at a different time than in fact it was done. Any way to reconcile?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
check to make sure it's listed. I had the same issue with one of my 06's timing belt was replaced out at 90k due to a leaking water pump . Was not listed on the carfax when i purchased the Pilot.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
(oil life also shows as 100%)
What are the odds? :surprise:

You're due. If you have it done by the dealer, they'll reset the MM for you.

If you need to reset it yourself, here's how:

Start with the key in the off position.
Press and hold the trip odometer reset button
Turn the ignition to the on (II) position
Wait until the maintenance light goes out

By the way, it wouldn't be a surprise if your "3rd party dealer" had access to this covert:wink: procedure as well.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
What are the odds? :surprise:

You're due. If you have it done by the dealer, they'll reset the MM for you.

If you need to reset it yourself, here's how:

Start with the key in the off position.
Press and hold the trip odometer reset button
Turn the ignition to the on (II) position
Wait until the maintenance light goes out

By the way, it wouldn't be a surprise if your "3rd party dealer" had access to this covert:wink: procedure as well.
Agreed this procedure is so top secret that some 3rd party places can't even reset the MM :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
a good way to tell if the timing belt wasnt replaced is shine a light on the timing belt tensioner , if it looks like it is " stained " on the tensioner body than most likely it is leaking which means it hasnt been replaced

The tensioner is the weakest link of the timing belt system

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
In my opinion the only way to know for certain if the timing belt was replaced is to either have done it yourself otherwise have service records proving it was done. Anything else is speculation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts