Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 Pilot is at 95k miles.

I got a quote from Melloy Honda in Farmington.

Thoughts? Should I shop around to mechanics? I could get the job done in Salt Lake City or Denver as well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The cost for timing belt, tensioner, and water pump job (whatever half tuneup means) is not terribly out of line, but it a bit on the high side. Their markup on the parts is probably typical and I would negotiate that.... their parts markup is almost 50% higher than online retail from Honda dealers.

I am assuming you left out the actual service being performed in the first one (full tuneup) which I am going to assume covers a valve adjustment, since they are replacing the intake manifold gasket and both valve cover gaskets. $2300 for that is high, I have seen it from $1600 to $2000.

Personally, I'd ensure the timing belt service is done, and do the spark plugs. Adjusting the valves adds a lot of labor time and "probably" isnt necessary. It isnt a terrible idea to have them inspected and adjusted if necessary, but I'd venture most Honda owners never get theirs done.

I bet you could shop that around or negotiate a better deal.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I paid $1800 for all that at my Honda dealer for our 2012.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Why would you replace a bunch of gaskets if they do not leak? To me that is just throwing money out the window. Tune up? Sounds like that dealer is doing a bank account fill up. Gasket replacement is not part of the 100K service. I could see the valve cover gaskets IF they were doing valve adjustments, which is not listed. Everything to to do a timing belt is on the passenger side of the engine. The only gasket needed is the one that comes with the water pump if you choose to replace it at 100K. I took my original up to 195K and changed it at the second timing belt service. No leaks. Items that I see missing are the idler pulleys for the timing belt. Who foots the bill if one of those idler pulleys fails a few months after the changing of the belt? A good independent mechanic in my area charges just about 900 for this service. It is about a 6-8hr job. If you do it yourself, the TB kit with water pump, new accessory belt and plugs will be around 400 in parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts