Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased a 2013 Pilot with (at that time) around 129,000 miles on it. The dealer assured us that the previous owner had done the Timing Belt/Water Pump/Etc., back around 100,000 or so. My question is two-fold. First, why doesn't it have a sticker in the engine bay to verify this, and second, when would be a good time to plan on doing this again? It's only got like 138,000 or so now. In my experience dealerships will often tell you exactly what you want to hear, so I have no real way to verify that the repair has been done. I've even asked a friend who previously worked as a mechanic for Honda about this. He said "check the serpentine belt. If it looks fairly new that can be an indication that the timing belt replacement has been done." Any thoughts?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I agree with your friend. If the timing belt looks new and if the water pump looks replaced, they have probably been done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, neither of those is visible from the top. If I could see them, I wouldn't have needed to ask. But thanks anyway

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
carfax has this carfox feature enter your vin and it tells you all the shops the pilot has been in since day one under the maintenance tab.. you would know if the TB was replaced or not since it also lists mileage when the repair was done.

·
Registered
574 Posts
We purchased a 2013 Pilot with (at that time) around 129,000 miles on it. The dealer assured us that the previous owner had done the Timing Belt/Water Pump/Etc., back around 100,000 or so. My question is two-fold. First, why doesn't it have a sticker in the engine bay to verify this, and second, when would be a good time to plan on doing this again? It's only got like 138,000 or so now. In my experience dealerships will often tell you exactly what you want to hear, so I have no real way to verify that the repair has been done. I've even asked a friend who previously worked as a mechanic for Honda about this. He said "check the serpentine belt. If it looks fairly new that can be an indication that the timing belt replacement has been done." Any thoughts?
Maybe ask the dealer how they knew this? Records? Was it done at the dealer? Assuming it was done, you’re good for a while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts