Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When should I consider changing the timing belt on my 2012 Honda Pilot with low milage (65k)?
The dealer keeps sending me messages is time to replace.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
When should I consider changing the timing belt on my 2012 Honda Pilot with low milage (65k)?
The old guideline, before the maintenance minder was introduced, recommended timing belt replacement every seven years or 105K miles, whichever came first.
So, start checking the dealer websites in your area for any service special or coupon deals on the timing belt job.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The old guideline, before the maintenance minder was introduced, recommended timing belt replacement every seven years or 105K miles, whichever came first.
So, start checking the dealer websites in your area for any service special or coupon deals on the timing belt job.
thanks

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
The motor minder system will prompt you for that service a bit north of 100k miles, but has no calendar to refer to to remind you earlier. There have been many discussions here on the need for a time-based replacement. Honda seems to think that time is no longer a critical factor, else they would have figured out a calendar for the MM system. Be Aware that, prior to the MM system, the change interval recommendation suggested seven years as a service interval limit.

To your question... Why don't you ask the Honda dealer who's sending you their suggestion? Ask them why they thinks it's needed, and where the recommendation comes from. If it's from Honda, I'd love to know where they find it. Share back their answers please. I too have a low-miles example and would love to know if there's a justifiable concern.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
944 Posts
I would guess that they send out reminders based on a time interval. I would also assume that it is an automated reminder as opposed to someone actually caring about the car.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Dealers are notorious for sending out service reminders for unneeded service that goes way above and beyond anything Honda recommends. They're just trying to keep their service bays full and drain your wallet faster. These reminders should be IGNORED.

Follow Honda's recommendations. Which in the case of a 2006 and later Pilot is to follow the MM which will probably trip somewhere between 100K and 110K miles. If you want to be ultra-conservative, you could follow the 7-yr calendar time replacement interval that was in force for 2005 and earlier models but Honda says this is not required. I'd judge the chances of your having a timing belt failure in the next few years as near zero.

- Mark

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
170 Posts
I had the same dilemma, had mine done on my 2012 EX-L around 70K miles. Why chance destroying my engine on my super clean vehicle for $1,400. Pretty easy decision for me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
all the other plastic and rubber stuff that lies deep down there with your timing belt is approaching 8 years of age. if any of that other stuff needs to get replaced in an emergency then you are still looking at the full labor costs to pull everything out

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I just had the Aisin kit installed on my 2012 with a new Serpentine belt, antifreeze change included. Total cost out the door was $815.22.
Private ship or dealership?

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Follow Honda's recommendations. Which in the case of a 2006 and later Pilot is to follow the MM which will probably trip somewhere between 100K and 110K miles. If you want to be ultra-conservative, you could follow the 7-yr calendar time replacement interval that was in force for 2005 and earlier models but Honda says this is not required. I'd judge the chances of your having a timing belt failure in the next few years as near zero.
Given that the Pilot has an interference type engine, such that extensive/expensive damage can occur if the timing belt fails, how are you suggesting the length of time be determined that you can wait before the timing belt replacement becomes necessary?
Suppose you drive only 5K miles per year, will the timing belt last for 20+ years?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Suppose you drive only 5K miles per year, will the timing belt last for 20+ years?
In Honda's view, the answer is yes. The incidence of calendar-related timing belt failure is low enough that they've eliminated the need for a calendar-time replacement interval.

Of course, there are no absolutes in this game..... some small percentage of timing belts are going to fail well below 100K miles and some are going to go 300K. Any replacement interval is somewhat arbitrary. I presume that Honda has the best data to make the judgment.

And, sure timing belt failures are expensive, but so is replacing them and there's a non-trivial chance that the repair itself will cause problems. The riskiest place for catching a disease is the hospital.

- Mark

·
Registered
58 Posts
In Honda's view, the answer is yes. The incidence of calendar-related timing belt failure is low enough that they've eliminated the need for a calendar-time replacement interval.

Of course, there are no absolutes in this game..... some small percentage of timing belts are going to fail well below 100K miles and some are going to go 300K. Any replacement interval is somewhat arbitrary. I presume that Honda has the best data to make the judgment.

And, sure timing belt failures are expensive, but so is replacing them and there's a non-trivial chance that the repair itself will cause problems. The riskiest place for catching a disease is the hospital.

- Mark
But, it is a hell of a lot cheaper to replace the timing belt than the engine after the timing belt breaks while driving.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Every seven years or 100,000 miles. I was informed of this earlier this year when my 2012 Pilot was in the dealership for an oil change. I had it changed shortly after that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do it now. 105K OR 7 years. It's time. But also, depends on how long you plan to keep it. If you do it now, it won't need it again until 170K. Or maybe never for you. And BTW, don't settle for NOT doing the water pump now, very cheap compared to doing it by itself. You bought a really nice car, don't gamble on an aged belt ruining your day... (Also, I believe the car knows when you are treating it well, and responds in kind.)

·
Registered
603 Posts
How much longer do you plan to keep the vehicle? If I were selling it in the next 3 years, I push my luck, no question. I'd probably feel compelled to change it around the 10 year mark tho.... or consider that a good time to trade it in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts