Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I recently bought a 2008 Honda Pilot EXL AWD. It has 144k miles on it already. I took it in to Honda and had the front brakes done, fluids, etc a bunch of stuff. Spent about 853$ on making sure the car is safe to drive. Now I also have my eyes set on getting the water pump and timing belt replaced because the Pilot is over the 105k timing belt service and I can’t find any records of whether or not it’s been replaced already.
The Pilot is in excellent condition. The interior looks as if no one ever sat inside it. So my question is should I replace the belt or try to find out some other way if the belt has been replaced or what do you all think? I would hate to spend $1100 on a belt that doesn’t need replaced.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hello everyone, I recently bought a 2008 Honda Pilot EXL AWD. It has 144k miles on it already. I took it in to Honda and had the front brakes done, fluids, etc a bunch of stuff. Spent about 853$ on making sure the car is safe to drive. Now I also have my eyes set on getting the water pump and timing belt replaced because the Pilot is over the 105k timing belt service and I can’t find any records of whether or not it’s been replaced already.
The Pilot is in excellent condition. The interior looks as if no one ever sat inside it. So my question is should I replace the belt or try to find out some other way if the belt has been replaced or what do you all think? I would hate to spend $1100 on a belt that doesn’t need replaced.
Replace the belt and water pump, timing belt drives the pump. AISIN kit: 28755-05239568 (pump/gasket, tensioner w/ pulley, idler pulley, and belt), and have valve lash adjusted. Exhaust valves tighten up with carbon deposits, intake valves loosen up.

Lash J35A9

Intake: 0.20-0.24 mm (0.008"-0.009") go for 0.22 mm
Exhaust: 0.28-0.32 mm (0.011"-0.013") go for 0.30 mm

Lash: J35Z1

Intake: 0.20-0.24 mm (0.008"-0.009") go for 0.22 mm
Exhaust: 0.28-0.32 mm (0.011"-0.013") go for 0.30 mm

·
Registered
800 Posts
Odds of someone doing the belt and not putting the sticker on the firewall aren't high.

If it's a good car you want to keep, do the job now and amortize the cost over the long haul.

#1 Piloteers guideline for maintaining first gens: find a good independent mechanic if you don't want to tackle the jobs that will come up by yourself.

·
Registered
Home of the 301k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
13,757 Posts
I’d find someone to install an Aisin timing belt water pump kit TKH-002. This can be purchased on RockAuto.com at a fair price. I’d also drain the radiator at the same time for a 2 gallon flush of the system.
Spark plugs should have been replaced at 100k. NGK Laser Iridium or NGK Ruthenium HX or Denso Iridium Long Life are less expensive alternatives to OEM. All else is substandard.

I’d not say a valve adjustment isn’t needed, especially if the engine is running poorly. Removing the plenum and valve covers to do a valve job is not a small thing. I’d replace the plenum/intake gasket, valve cover gaskets, grommets and spark plug tube seals if doing this job.

·
Registered
55 Posts
So my question is should I replace the belt or try to find out some other way if the belt has been replaced or what do you all think? I would hate to spend $1100 on a belt that doesn’t need replaced.
You can register on the Honda Maintenance site and run the Pilot's VIN. If the belt was done by a dealer the records of the service would have been posted. If it was you can save $1100+ for now. If the service cannot be verified then I agree that it should be done.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Agree with the advice already given - the Pilot has an interference engine - if the belt fails, it usually takes other things with it (sometimes just a few valves, sometimes quite a bit more) - it's an expensive service if you aren't able to do it on your own, but it's necessary maintenance, and critical in the long run. It can be difficult to tell if a belt has been changed recently or not, and at 144k miles/14 years, it's way overdue... (105k miles/7 yrs is the interval Honda gives for the 05, which has the same engine as the 08) (if you know someone that wrenches on cars, the Aisin TKH002 kit is around $200 from Rockauto - that, along with a couple of gallons of coolant and a new serpentine belt and you'll be good to go. (I'd suggest replacing the thermostat as well while you are in there)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Sometimes timing belt changes will show up on a carfax if the shop reported it. If it were mine and I could not verify it had been changed I would change it. You could pull the upper timing belt cover and see if it has a Honda belt. If it has a non-oem belt it has been changed. You just don’t know when. If it has a Honda belt and there is no record in the Honda Service records, I would change it.

If it still has the owners manuals in the glovebox you might thumb through it. I have seen ppl write it on the inside cover a couple of times.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
6,135 Posts
Timing belt/water pump install - $900-$1500.

New to you rebuilt engine if the timing belt goes - $4000-$8000

You decide.

·
Registered
55 Posts
We had an independent shop do our 2010 odyssey timing belt service recommended by our pastor at our church. They used non-OEM (Dayco) and the thing broke after 15k! :mad: Ended up taking it to the Honda dealer here and they replaced the entire top of the engine after the pistons and valves hit each other. Thankfully I had purchased an extended warranty through Car Shield! All I had to pay was my 100-dollar deductible. Being a cheapskate WILL come back to bite you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Odds of someone doing the belt and not putting the sticker on the firewall aren't high.

If it's a good car you want to keep, do the job now and amortize the cost over the long haul.

#1 Piloteers guideline for maintaining first gens: find a good independent mechanic if you don't want to tackle the jobs that will come up by yourself.
where is the firewall? Where should I check for a sticker exactly?

·
Registered
800 Posts
If I recall correctly, guidance for our first-gens was 105k miles or 7 years. If yours has never been done, you're way overdue. Make sure they put the sticker on for you and fill it out (date and mileage), so you can remember easily.

·
Registered
12,672 Posts
Replace the belt and water pump, timing belt drives the pump. AISIN kit: 28755-05239568 (pump/gasket, tensioner w/ pulley, idler pulley, and belt),
I’d find someone to install an Aisin timing belt water pump kit TKH-002. This can be purchased on RockAuto.com at a fair price.
This is the kit to get. If you don't DIY, have a trusted indy shop do it. No sense in paying dealership labor rates.

More Information for AISIN TKH002

Save even more with the PIloteers "secret" 5% discount code. :)

5% Discount Code: 5D1145DA8E1A7C
Expires: August 11, 2022

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It needs the valves adjusted if you don't have records and have them check out the motor mounts. Find a solid independent shop. I used the dealer forever not finding an honest independent shop Finally,I found one run by a former 10 year Honda tech.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Only use OEM timing components get them at alldiscountparts.com at wholesale prices

·
Registered
13,757 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I will only use OEM parts for the timing as I've seen others fail and destroy engines! Fortunately my local Honda dealer (Fisher Honda/Acura Boulder Colorado) sells parts online at wholesale
( alldiscountparts.com) and I can just pick them up at the dealership and not even pay shipping.
Honda is already my favorite brand but with the parts discounts buying a Honda or Acura makes the most financial sense. I was looking at a Toyota next but I can't get my parts at wholesale for a Toyota so my next vehicle will definitely be Honda/Acura again. I'll be keeping my 07 Pilot currently at 431,501 miles engine has approx 190,000 Trans has approx 130,000. I'm on my 3rd Trans, first one went to 268,000 miles hauling lost luggage filled to the ceiling over the continental divide in multiple places every day, I just replaced the second Trans that made it to 243,000 (installed used when it had 111,000 on it) while hauling drunk college students all over Boulder and in the snow and mountains (mostly city driving fully loaded)
Engine isn't original because of defective water pump that the pulley was pressed on too far when manufactured and had a lip that prevents the belt from coming off that pushed the belt into the body of the water pump and over time Shredded the belt, timing slipped and bent the valvetrain.

·
Registered
13,757 Posts
I’ll take a Mitsuboshi timing belt over a OEM Gates/Unitta any day. Recall, see attached.

Aisin is an OEM Manufacturer.
Bicycle part Auto part Tool Metal Nickel

The bearings in the Aisin kit are Koyo, original equipment.

Attachments

Reactions: Daltongang
1 - 20 of 23 Posts