Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It really sucks. I started the job last night, lined up all the timing marks. I clearly remember both top rear and front cams are lined perfectly at 12 O'clock position. Took the timing belt off and replace the water pump. It was too late, so I decided to finish it this morning. Today after put the timing belt on, then double checked everything found it out that the rear cam timing mark is off, but front cam and bottom are lined up perfectly.

Is it possible the cam moved by itself overnight? Now what can I do? can I take the timing belt off and turn the
rear cam counter clockwise to line up the timing mark? I don't want to do any damage to the valve and pistion. Any input will be really appreciated.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yes, probably moved during the night with the belt off. Take off the belt and realign your marks. Then roll the motor through by hand multiple revolutions to make sure it all worked out.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Was the car in the same spot you left it the night before?

Just kidding but it's possible the cam moved when you put the belt on (or took it off) and you didn't notice it then. And it's also possible the spring loading on the valves pushing on the lobes in the high position was enough to nudge the camshaft a little. Assuming it's just off a little bit, you should be able to take the belt off and move it back. You'll feel or hear anything touching and a lot of resistance before anything bends or breaks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for your inputs, my friends. It's my first timing belt job, it's a really challenging job for me.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
So you already pulled the grenade pin in the new tensioner?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nail, I have not done it. It's raining outside, I can not get it done today.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Nail, I have not done it. It's raining outside, I can not get it done today.
Ok. That's good.
So your old belt is still on and never been removed? If so, rotate the crankshaft clock wise and line up the timing marks again. Removing the spark plugs can make this easier to do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last night I removed the belt and installed the new water pump, but it was too late to finish it. Installed the new belt this morning found it out the rear cam timing mark is off. The front cam and crankshaft timing marks stayed the same. I guess when the belt was removed the rear cam moved by itself during the night. Thanks.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Last night I removed the belt and installed the new water pump, but it was too late to finish it. Installed the new belt this morning found it out the rear cam timing mark is off. The front cam and crankshaft timing marks stayed the same. I guess when the belt was removed the rear cam moved by itself during the night. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Sorry to make you repeat yourself.
I know a cam can spring forward, just don't recall one jumping that much.
I've never turned a cam that far back, but if @Slvr7 says you can, then it must be ok to do.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Same thing happened to me, I would have sworn it didn't move, but I learned the rear bank sits under some tension when at the timing mark and the slightest bump will make it rotate back two teeth. Just move it back. Rotate the engine by hand once after you think you have it and make sure the marks still line up after the rotation. I was puckered up the whole time but it all worked out for me. I learned why one should mark the old belt prior to removal and transfer the marks. This lets one spot this issue immediately.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yep it's position is held by tension between 2 lobes, overnight it finally moved. You only need to back up the cam that moved until your marks line up.
Same thing happened to me, I would have sworn it didn't move, but I learned the rear bank sits under some tension when at the timing mark and the slightest bump will make it rotate back two teeth. Just move it back. Rotate the engine by hand once after you think you have it and make sure the marks still line up after the rotation. I was puckered up the whole time but it all worked out for me. I learned why one should mark the old belt prior to removal and transfer the marks. This lets one spot this issue immediately.
These are the correct answers. The cam may jump slightly because of the spring tension. DON'T rotate the crankshaft. Your crankshaft and other cam are both lined up properly, just move the cam that jumped. From the picture it looks like it only moved 60 degrees, just move it back to where it's supposed to be as you're installing the new belt.

Did you remove the spark plugs before doing the job? It doesn't matter either way, however it is much easier to turn the engine over manually when the spark plugs are all removed.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
You may have a hard time getting that bank to line up perfectly and stay that way when you're turning it backwards. You may overshoot it going the opposite way too, it's tough to be precise with it and get it to stop as it doesn't fall into a specific slot. Keeping the spark plugs in it may make your life a little easier and give it the pressure it needs to stay put. That back cam is right in between strokes when it's lined up, so you have to be super precise to get it stay there. Try it with plugs in and plugs out, only move the rear one, going backwards is OK, if you feel any resistance, stop because your valves are hitting the piston - in this case, I doubt that's happening since it went forward on it's own.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
When the rear cam is turned counter clockwise back to the timing mark, it jumps back to 9 O'clock position. When it is turned clockwise back and approaching the timing mark, it jumps back to 3 O'clock position. It had gone back and forth for several times. I was very patient and worked it very slowly, eventually I got it aligned perfectly. I have to say it's not an easy job. I thought I needed another person to hold it in position so I can put the belt on, but I got it done by myself. It stayed there long enough for me to put the belt on. Rotate the crankshaft pulley 6 times, all of them are aligned with the timing marks 3 times. I could not finish it today since it was raining. Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I did some research on this, found someone said this will make it easier to turn the rear cam. Just don't know
if it is true or not.

·
Registered
586 Posts
When the rear cam is turned counter clockwise back to the timing mark, it jumps back to 9 O'clock position. When it is turned clockwise back and approaching the timing mark, it jumps back to 3 O'clock position. It had gone back and forth for several times. I was very patient and worked it very slowly, eventually I got it aligned perfectly. I have to say it's not an easy job. I thought I needed another person to hold it in position so I can put the belt on, but I got it done by myself. It stayed there long enough for me to put the belt on. Rotate the crankshaft pulley 6 times, all of them are aligned with the timing marks 3 times. I could not finish it today since it was raining. Thanks for everyone's help.
Sometimes they can be a pain like that. I don’t recall our Pilot wanting to jump too much but I’ve for sure had it happen with my is300. Ultimately a little patience and practice will get it done as you’ve seen. Some of the German cars actually have special tools to physically lock the cams in place. Ultimately great job though! Sounds like you’re well on your way to successfully completing your first timing belt job. It’ll feel great when you’re done and you know you did it on your own.

·
Registered
301 Posts
this happens. It also happens on my GL1000 bike. I've done the belts 4 times on it and after the first I learned you can use a box end wrench and a zip tie to hold the cam from rotating upon removal and re-install. just have to have the new belt in behind it ready to go before you pull the old belt off etc. also someone mentoined marking the old and new belt teeth where the line up with the timing marks, this helps too.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts