Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in the process of replacing the timing belt on my 2008 Honda Pilot. I am following this Video . I am unable to loosen the camshaft pulley nut. I have tried using 1/2” extensions with break bar, as shown in the video. I broke two extensions. I have tried from under bracing myself with my foot on the lower control arm and pulling and I snap the socket. I have tried bolt penetrating fluid. Nothing is working. The bolt was put on by Zeus himself. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am gong to buy an impact wrench tommorw and try that, before I give up and take it to the shop and waive bye-bye two my next two paychecks. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
74 Posts
They can be a bear to get loose sometimes. I typically am able to get them off using a 1/2“ breaker bar and extension out the wheel well like he shows in the video. I can’t remember ever not having to put a piece of pipe on the end of the 1/2” breaker bar. I bought a very long 3/4” breaker bar about 2 years ago and it makes it go much easier. I also have a 3/4 impact that works better but sometimes I don’t have a compressor when I am doing them. My IR 1/2” impact will not break them loose if I can’t get it with the 1/2” breaker bar and a piece of pipe.

I have a friend of mine who would go by a shop he typically uses for alignments and stuff and they would break it loose for him with an impact and tighten it up enough for him to get home and he would finish the job himself. He did it that way on several cars before he got better tools. Not sure if you could do something like that or not.

I did do one where the person who did the belt before used Loctite when they put it back together. That really sucked.

·
Registered
2006 EX-L RES 2WD
51 Posts
Sounds like you need an impact grade extension and socket. They are more durable than the ones that typically come with the wrench sets. If you are using those already, then an impact is definitely next.
Extensions

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had to use 2 extensions to get out of the wheel well and use a jack under the head of the breaker to take all motion out but twisting, and use about a 3 ft extension on the breaker bar handle and it finally broke loose.

I bought one of those high mass impact sockets but it wasn't breaking that bolt loose.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I use a 3/4 drive breaker bar with an 18 inch extension to get into the wheel well. I slip a 5 foot long piece of one inch water pipe over the bar for a cheater, with a jack stand supporting the pivot point. It still takes all of my 200 lbs to break it loose sometimes! That adds up to 1000 ft-lbs of torque required to break the crankshaft pulley bolt loose.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I use a 3/4 drive breaker bar with an 18 inch extension to get into the wheel well. I slip a 5 foot long piece of one inch water pipe over the bar for a cheater, with a jack stand supporting the pivot point. It still takes all of my 200 lbs to break it loose sometimes! That adds up to 1000 ft-lbs of torque required to break the crankshaft pulley bolt loose.
used the identical set up.....1000 ft-lbs is pretty close to what I applied the first time as well

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I use a 3/4 drive breaker bar with an 18 inch extension to get into the wheel well.
That's what I did as well: 3/4" 3' breaker bar. 2x 12" 3/4" drive extensions. Jack stand. No cheater pipe. Came off after dropping my entire body weight of 200 lb onto the bar's grip. The Honda 50mm pulley holder was held in place by a 1/2" drive 2' breaker bar and by the LCA. Pilots certainly require the 3/4" drive tools for the TB job and to loosen the tranny filler bolt. They have their uses around the suspension as well, but these 2x jobs absolutely require them.
Or if you are filthy rich, you can buy Makita 3/4" drive cordless impact hammer with the extra powerful battery packs and they will do the job too. My local scrap yard boys swear by them.

·
Registered
248 Posts
also, made a pretty loud noise when it finally broke loose, at first I was wondering if I was going to find a bolt broken in the crankshaft.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You need the lisle Honda crank pulley socket that’s super thick and an impact, preferably one that’s over 600ftlb. Sold on Amazon. It will spin off any crank pulley bolt in seconds. Regular sockets won’t work.

·
Registered
583 Posts
You need the lisle Honda crank pulley socket that’s super thick and an impact, preferably one that’s over 600ftlb. Sold on Amazon. It will spin off any crank pulley bolt in seconds. Regular sockets won’t work.
This only works if you have a 5 HP air compressor to drive your gun. My 3HP Ingersoll Rand compressor with a 650 ft-lb gun and Lisle socket did not do it! That's why I use a 5 ft cheater bar.

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
35 Posts
I had to use 2 extensions to get out of the wheel well and use a jack under the head of the breaker to take all motion out but twisting, and use about a 3 ft extension on the breaker bar handle and it finally broke loose.

I bought one of those high mass impact sockets but it wasn't breaking that bolt loose.
Your problem was the use of the long 1/2" extensions. Those twist so much that the impact wrench transfers little or no torque to the bolt head. A stiffer, 3/4" extension would have made it work much better

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like you need an impact grade extension and socket. They are more durable than the ones that typically come with the wrench sets. If you are using those already, then an impact is definitely next.
Extensions
use the balancer sucker super thick sucker that creates frequency shaken to get loose. Exact name (oh harmonic balancer socket)

·
Registered
136 Posts
If all else fails use the starter method since these engines rotate clockwise. That's what I did and it popped that sucker loose on the first try. Yeah, it's frowned upon but it works....and I've had no problems 70,000 miles later.

·
Registered
583 Posts
If all else fails use the starter method since these engines rotate clockwise. That's what I did and it popped that sucker loose on the first try. Yeah, it's frowned upon but it works....and I've had no problems 70,000 miles later.
I don't agree. Too easy to damage the crankshaft pulley bolt head. Then you are totally screwed. Either a high power impact with Lisle socket, or use the pulley holding tool and a long lever on your breaker bar.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't agree. Too easy to damage the crankshaft pulley bolt head. Then you are totally screwed. Either a high power impact with Lisle socket, or use the pulley holding tool and a long lever on your breaker bar.
Okay I was scared first coz it say Camshaft bolt. Since we are talking crankshaft, I will recommend the $20 thick walled socket on Amazon. It is specially weighted so that every impact force is increased and equally so across the whole bolt so you don't risk breaking the crankshaft. I used the starter method with my Pilot , but on my friends Pilot I had to buy that socket, it would not move till I got that socket. ⁹
20200318_223300.jpg

·
Registered
733 Posts
Sorry, I would have chimed in yesterday. You can edit the title of your post to Crankshaft Pulley Bolt instead of Camshaft.
I'm assuming you have the tool to prevent the crankshaft from turning because you have twisted extensions.
I have used the jack stand method but was only successful with impact grade extensions. The Harbor Freight Pittsburgh brand worked fine with a 6 point impact grade socket.
Another time (on a Honda Crosstour V6), when I had the front bumper cover and wheel liner off (Not hard to remove) my son saw that I was struggling with the jack stand method. With the car jacked up high enough that the break over bar cleared the floor, He took a short as possible extension and socket, sat down on the floor (row boat style facing the rear of the car), placed his feet on the back of the fender well and Hulked it. I was quite impressed to say the least, after I had been standing on the end of a 4 foot cheater pipe and it would not break.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am currently in the process of replacing the timing belt on my 2008 Honda Pilot. I am following this Video . I am unable to loosen the camshaft pulley nut. I have tried using 1/2” extensions with break bar, as shown in the video. I broke two extensions. I have tried from under bracing myself with my foot on the lower control arm and pulling and I snap the socket. I have tried bolt penetrating fluid. Nothing is working. The bolt was put on by Zeus himself. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am gong to buy an impact wrench tommorw and try that, before I give up and take it to the shop and waive bye-bye two my next two paychecks. Any help is appreciated.
Been there, did buy tools and new larger impact tool and no success. The socket I bought from Amazon was to loose in the internal hex so I made my own using a plumbing hex reducer and a tee and filed the hex on the reducer to fit snuggly and then reconnected battery and used the starter to loosen the bolt. It took three tries and the bolt came loose.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts