Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had some work done on the Pilot at 32475 miles.

Had the timing belt recall fixed by the local Honda dealer in Marietta, GA. The dealer had to replace the tensioner only. See TSB 03-064 - http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5585

Had the dealer replace the driver leather seat and added more padding/foam. Feels firm now.

Had the dealer replace the door seals based off Honda's Servicer Bulletin 03-054 - http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5093. Report there is no scrunch - YET. Time will tell.

The dealer also told me there's another TSB out from Honda as of Tuesday Oct. 30th. It concerns the SRS system. Honda is forwarding a CD with updated software to update the SRS system. Something to do with air bags not deploying fast enough. Not sure of all the details but the dealer will call me when the software is in.

·
Registered
360 Posts
pilot4me said:

Had the timing belt recall fixed by the local Honda dealer in Marietta, GA. The dealer had to replace the tensioner only. See TSB 03-064 - http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5585

Had the dealer replace the driver leather seat and added more padding/foam. Feels firm now.

Had the dealer replace the door seals based off Honda's Servicer Bulletin 03-054 - http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5093. Report there is no scrunch - YET. Time will tell.

The dealer also told me there's another TSB out from Honda as of Tuesday Oct. 30th. It concerns the SRS system. Honda is forwarding a CD with updated software to update the SRS system. Something to do with air bags not deploying fast enough. Not sure of all the details but the dealer will call me when the software is in.
GOOD NIGHT! Talk about growing pains! I never expected Honda to have so many problems crop up in one model, in one model year, this is insane. It's got me wondering what afflictions the '04s have/will have.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Re: Timing Belt Recall update

gymeni said:
GOOD NIGHT! Talk about growing pains! I never expected Honda to have so many problems crop up in one model, in one model year, this is insane. It's got me wondering what afflictions the '04s have/will have.
Still in all, I think Honda and Toyota build a great vehicle. Just for comparison, check out the threads here or on other sites about the Trailblazer/Envoy/Bravada, and its ongoing problems.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Saggy Leather Seats

pilot4me said:

[snipped]

[snipped]

Did the dealer perform this work under warranty?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sfhondapilot

Did the dealer perform this work under warranty?

Yes, the leather was done under warranty. The seat was stretched so much that it was bending over on itself. The passenger side looks brand new with no stretching. Hardly anyone sits in the passenger seat of course.

I still put in a ¾ inch piece of plywood under the seat frame and cushion to firm it up more even though the dealer said they added more padding themselves. Personally, I don’t believe they added more padding just a bunch of lip service.

Anyway, you guys and gals do what you want… Personally the ¾ inch plywood works great!!! It firms the seat up nicely and you don’t feel the plywood. It definitely puts me up higher in the seat. If you’re interested in doing it yourself, cut the plywood 9” X 9” which slides in the area under the seat between the wire frame and padding. You will first have to pull back the fabric covering the under side of the seat from the back. Move the seat all the way to the front position so you have room from the second row floor board. There are two plastic hooks located ¾ to the front of the seat that need to be unfasten. They are hard to unfasten… just play with a few minutes and they will come lose. Pull the fabric back and you will see the under side of the seat where to place the plywood. Slide the plywood in the area, replace the fabric and test the firmness. You will not be disappointed.

For those of you who think Honda should own up to the problem… your singing to the choir. You will only get Honda to say it’s a normal characteristic of the SUV… yada, yada… BS!

Get your dealer to replace the leather and fix it yourself or take it into an upholstery shop. It’s your choice.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just out of curiousity, has everyone affected by the recall received their letter from Honda? I think that my VIN # is in the group, but I have not received my letter yet. I know that they were scheduled to go out on Monday, but today is Friday and still nothing. :( If anyone could shed some light on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
149 Posts
No letter. I did the recall by telling my dealer about the service bulletin and the looked up the VIN range.

·
Registered
307 Posts
No letter here yet either, and I am in the range

·
Registered
725 Posts
Interesting Conversation With My Dealership....

I haven't received my letter from Honda, but I called my repair dealership today and they informed that yes, my vehicle is under the timing belt tensioner recall --- but my PILOT is also requiring additional recall work.

Not only will my timing belt auto-tensioner need to be replaced, I was also informed that Honda will also be replacing my water pump and timing belt!!!!

Hmmmmmm, sure sounds a lot like the recall from last year that Honda said my vehicle wasn't involved with!!!

I also found out that my PILOT is also under a "safety" recall to have the software updated for the SRS system.

My dealership says they haven't received any of the parts, but is expecting a large shipment of those "goodies" next week and that they'll call me when the parts are in so I can get scheduled for the recall work.

Oh Happy Joy!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Any Canadians Affected By The Timing Belt TSB?

When I dropped off my Pilot this morning for some fluid changes, the service advisor told me that Honda Canada just sent them 50 timing belt units even though they didn't order it. So, he figured that there's gonna be a TSB issued for it. I told him how there's one out already but he said that they haven't received anything yet. But considering the number of timing belt units Honda sent them even though the dealer didn't order them, he thought that a TSB was imminent.

I'm wondering whether the TSB that was posted in this forum was just for the US? Are TSB's usually issued separately for the US and Canada? Anybody know?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Mine is also gonna get the SRS recall...I just TT Honda...a letter will be sent for that as well.

Man, that's alot of f**king recalls---

·
Registered
725 Posts
MG Pilot

So far the PILOT's history has only 3 recalls... which in the big picture isn't a big deal.

Consider the Chevy Trailblazer/GMC Envoy/Olds Bravada - they've already had 13-recalls on major mechanical problems... so we're lucky

Ford Focus: 16 recalls since the car hit the road for the 2000 model year - one of which was for possible engine fires.

So, considering what we could be dealing with - this ain't nuttin'!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Re: MG Pilot

PILOTinginCO said:
So far the PILOT's history has only 3 recalls... which in the big picture isn't a big deal.

Ford Focus: 16 recalls since the car hit the road for the 2000 model year - one of which was for possible engine fires.

a little addition to this one.. I guess the powertrain is so bad that Ford had to extend the manufacturer's warranty on this to 5yrs/100K miles. :eek:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I read through the Service Bulletin for this recall. Just wanted to check with others to make sure my interpretation is correct. If I already had the water pump and timing belt replaced with the previous recall I should be OK.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You will need your local dealer to replace the tensioner. You had the water pump and timing belt replaced just like I did. The tensioner is a different part.

Call your dealer and let them tell you if you need the service.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the information. I stopped by the dealership yesterday and made an appointment to have the repair done along with the SRS upgrade.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'm All Fixed Up...

Took my PILOT in today for the Timing Belt Tensioner Recall. Found out that my water pump is okay and that my timing belt is in groovy shape.

So, my dealership replaced the tensioner and did the SRS update... and now I'm told I'm good to go!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Any Canucks Receive The TSB/Recall Letter Yet?

I just have and instead of making a duplicate post, I thought I'd just provide this link, which also covers the SRS software update issue.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts