Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Home of the 302k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,192 Posts
Don't know if my CH air impact wrench will take it off, but I suppose I could dial up the air pressure a bit if it doesn't work. Plan B would probably be use the crank holder (which I'll need anyway to put the bolt on), my longest breaker bar, and possibly heat the bolt with the propane torch to help persuade it.
The Lisle socket is a great tool. If your crankshaft pulley bolt has never been busted loose, it's likely going to a lot of torque. The jackstand method is doable. It used to be the only way I busted it loose. I learned to use impact grade extensions. You will need a cheater pipe to slip over the breaker bar. The less extensions the better.
Is it necessary to replace the idler pulley and tensioner bolts? I know the idler bolt needs some Loctite, but I seem to read mixed opinions on replacing the bolts. I suppose if they're not expensive I'll just get them from the dealer, but I'm curious if dealers usually replace them.
I don't plan to replace these. I replace if corroded. I live where corrosion is not an issue. Most of the time I reuse.
Any idea why the torque specs for the crank bolt changed? Was a fixed number for older model years, but now is a lower number plus an angle. Wouldn't the older torque spec work if I have a calibrated 250 lb-ft torque wrench?
Your torque wrench is adequate. I've never been one to torque this bolt to specs. Even then, when it's time to do the timing belt again, the bolt is crazy tight again. Some will fret over this torque spec, I never have. The bolt simply can't be over tightened by hand. Stop when it can't turn anymore.
I take it genuine Aisin kits or parts from the dealer are the way to go for the belt, tensioner, and water pump. I'm just nervous about a) getting that crank pulley bolt off, and b) hoping I don't get a defective belt, tensioner, or water pump, or having a catastrophic failure before the next time it's due.
Before you buy your parts, attempt to bust your bolt loose. If you get it broke loose, tighten back knowing you have the means to do it.
I use Aisin kits only. Never had one fail. They always go the distance. Just make sure it's a Genuine Aisin kit. I buy from RockAuto with a 5% discount or buy from the Aisin Store. Sold and shipped by Amazon.

·
Registered
Home of the 302k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,192 Posts
That looks so familiar!! I twisted the extension into a pretzel! I think I weigh less than those guys, so I must have had a longer cheater bar. I'm guessing I twisted the extension close to 90 degrees. Was afraid to use heat because the crankshaft pully is a vibration dampener and has rubber in it. I also wonder if you use heat - does that mean you should not re-use the crankshaft bolt?
I twisted broke some low quality cheap made extensions. When I got black impact grade, it made the difference. Less flexing, the bolt broke loose.
Heat does help. I've reused bolt and pulley after heating. If it starts to glow red, that's way to much heat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.