Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day. I have a 2006 Honda Pilot, very satisfied. The car has 213,000 miles and still runs perfectly, however I found some problem that I don’t know how to fix. When it got to 200,000 I changed the timing belt as I should have (including bearings and tensioner) and it started making noises, on high rpm, like an old alarm with no bells, I ignored that until now. I removed the covers and found that timing belt is lose, but if I turn the shafts it tightens back as it should be. I know for sure that it is the timing belt problem because I started the car with only one belt and the sound was present. Is it the belt tensioner? The belt itself looks very good and still has clear white labels on it. The parts were not OEM and maybe the tensioner was poor quality.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sounds like a bad tensioner. I would change the tensioner and timing belt. Even if the belt looks ok I would not chance it if the tensioner was failing.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
What kit did you use, Gates or Aisin or other?

Did you also change your water pump?

Did you use a now current but occasionally defective hydraulic tensioner or a good ol' spring tensioner?

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Sounds like a bad tensioner. I would change the tensioner and timing belt. Even if the belt looks ok I would not chance it if the tensioner was failing.
Indeed. The cost of the belt is negligible in the context of getting a kit and the labor to open everything up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts