Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
I'm about out of popcorn. Start it already!
It鈥檚 one of those mini-series show. You鈥檒l have to be patience for the next episode. 馃ぃ

Actually, I work from 8 to 5 and have 4 kids to deal with so I can only work on my Honda during the evening. I am itching to get it back on the road too!

Registered
I think you are right. It鈥檚 the angle of view

I took a photo of it with the camera perfect parallel to the engine. It looks perfectly lined up after all.

View attachment 147902

FYI, I did not put that black marker on it. It was already on there.
That the Pulitzer Prize winning photo!
Celebrate!

Reactions: TechBill

Registered
Consider that the drive will be indexed by the cogs on the timing belt. Worry if you are off by whole teeth on the belt and gear. A minor 'miss' is most likely an optical parallax distortion (...in the space/time continuum) for which there is no correction available; all we can do is "jump" the belt on the gear teeth in whole-tooth increments.

Reactions: aggrex

Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
That link is the Aisin Store on Amazon. But ya, make sure your kit looks like this and not tampered with.
View attachment 147656
I too have had sketchy expefiences with Amazon over the last few years on auto parts. I no longer buy auto parts from them.

I have had 15 years of good results with RockAuto. Only 1 problem which they resolved to my satisfaction.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Done. Honda runs again.

One bad thing is when I removed the bolt on the rear timing cover on the far rear bottom, a piece of aluminum that is part of the thread broken off.

It look like it a dog ear thread sticking out on the side of the head so I think head is okay but not going to be able to bolt that one hole in the timing cover so I left it out. Whoever tighten that bolt last time overdid it.

Thank you everyonefor your feedback and help with this!

Registered
Done. Honda runs again.

One bad thing is when I removed the bolt on the rear timing cover on the far rear bottom, a piece of aluminum that is part of the thread broken off.

It look like it a dog ear thread sticking out on the side of the head so I think head is okay but not going to be able to bolt that one hole in the timing cover so I left it out. Whoever tighten that bolt last time overdid it.

Thank you everyonefor your feedback and help with this!
This part is replaceable. You only have to remove the timing belt tensioner, timing belt, cam pulley to access it. Its held on by 2 bolts.
Ya? :p

Registered
I think I can live without that one bolt next timing belt replacement, I will fix it.
Lol,
Well just in case I'm not on the forum. Here's how I broke loose the cam pulley bolts. Might be useful so many years from now. 馃榿

Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
good work, always love seeing another successful timing belt job done.
my neighbor runs the service dept at a local tire & repair shop and he said very few of his technicians could undertake such a job :geek:
as long as you have a good tool collection and patience and beer and can get away from the wife and kids for a couple hours it will all work out in the end!
the worst part is pulling the water pump only to have MORE coolant spill out all over the place, I just let it drip and dry overnight naturally.

also in regards to the thermostat, I would not bother replacing it unless you're doing the radiator and hoses all in one job.
my original wasn't bad, it still was functional but there was rubber material inside the thermostat that was swollen and cracked, I'd take a picture but I already threw it away. the aisin thermostat I ordered from rock auto was perfect, matched up identical in every way, THINK it even said tama on it, same people that make OEM. obviously gasket got replaced to but if it ain't leaking, don't replace it , FWIW.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts