Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
What is the "Sport" designation? I've never heard that before....:unsure:
I was going to put a 'Sport" and "Type-R" badge under the Pilot badge on my Pilot just to mess with people. Like you are at a stoplight and the guy behind you says to himself "Huh....I didn't know there was a...."

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I watch some YouTube on replacing timing belt. I notice some remove PCM while other doesn’t to remove the motor mount.

Did any of you remove it or not?

Do the battery need to be disconnected to change timing belt?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
The PCM removal is just to add some work/access room. Takes less than a minute.

I think the mount needs to come off or at least be unbolted and engine lifted slightly for belt R&R. At least that's my analysis after watching a few of the videos. It takes just minutes to do (once the PCM is out of the way...) so really not a serious worry at least for me.

Disconnecting the battery is a safety issue especially if the PCM and wiring are to be disconnected. Make sure you are familiar with bringing the entertainment stack back to life, either with activation code or the relearn procedure shared in the Owner's Manual. I've been giving thought to leaving my battery maintainer connected in "supply" mode, but since the relearn procedure works there's no advantage I can see, at least so far.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I disconnect the negative battery terminal. A precaution to making sure everything is perfect before starting the vehicle. No accidents this way.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Does power steering have 2 or 3 mounting bolts?

I been watching several YouTube on replacing timing belt and it seems to hav 2 mounting bolt but mine had 3. Also, I noticed the serpentine belt tensioner was different. On Yotube show having a piton while mine does not.

There is something on the intaje manifold which won’t let me remove the pump to put it on top of it

look like I have to remove the PCM and bracelet to move the AC hose back further to get pump out

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Just found another YouTube video of the ‘13 with engine just like mine.

He removed the whole PCM and bracket just to be able to move the AC piping slightly to get the pump out.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Reactions: TechBill

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
You have the crankshaft pulley bolt loose yet?
That was the first thing I did on the motor

I wouldn’t go any further if I couldn’t and I had to get a electric impact after all. They had it in stock at the other store.

My air compressor didn’t have the cfm to operate a 1/2 drive impact. Only 3/8 or less.

The electric impact took it off on one trigger pull.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
That was the first thing I did on the motor

I wouldn’t go any further if I couldn’t and I had to get a electric impact after all. They had it in stock at the other store.

My air compressor didn’t have the cfm to operate a 1/2 drive impact. Only 3/8 or less.

The electric impact took it off on one trigger pull.
I'd remove the 3 timing covers next. They wrap around the engine mount.
(You may know this)

Reactions: TechBill

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
The motor mount bolt on right mount was hell to unbolt. My impact driver wouldn’t budge it. I had to use a breaker bar and slowly turn it.

It took me a good half an hour to get it completely out but seems four hours of stress.

That was like defusing a bomb or something.

It look like I am going to need a new bolt and a new mount too.

Do anyone know what tap size is the thread in the frame is?

I am going to carefully tap to clean the thread out and get a new bolt of it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Is there a certain brand of mount to get from either O’Reiley or Autozone?

I need the vehicle so ordering online isn’t possible for me :(

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
The motor mount bolt on right mount was hell to unbolt. My impact driver wouldn’t budge it. I had to use a breaker bar and slowly turn it.

It took me a good half an hour to get it completely out but seems four hours of stress.

That was like defusing a bomb or something.

It look like I am going to need a new bolt and a new mount too.

Do anyone know what tap size is the thread in the frame is?

I am going to carefully tap to clean the thread out and get a new bolt of it.
On my ‘04 the mount bolt was M10 1.25

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
If the rubber in the mount isn't broken, I wouldn't replace. What's it look like with the cover off?

41 - 60 of 90 Posts