Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L Sport with 153K miles.

I inquired with previous owner if he ever had the timing belt replaced yet and he said no.

I am looking on suggestion on what brand timing belt kit to get for it. The kits I am looking for are ones that included belt, water pump, tensioner, pulley and seal/gasket.

Thank you for feedback

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Per Amazon's fit-checker, this is the one. Get the balancer holder tool, make sure you have a wrench or impact to get the crank bolt out, grab a set of spark plugs, and get cam cover gaskets so you can do the valve adjustment. Six-pack to celebrate at the end of the day too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Per Amazon's fit-checker, this is the one. Get the balancer holder tool, make sure you have a wrench or impact to get the crank bolt out, grab a set of spark plugs, and get cam cover gaskets so you can do the valve adjustment. Six-pack to celebrate at the end of the day too.
Thanks for the input!

The previous owner did had the spark plugs changed at 142K miles.

I am just going to focus on the timing belt area for now since my time is limit but I didn’t think about value adjustment so that is definitely my next project to do next month or so.

I may ordered a thermostat to replace it while I am doing the timing belt as well too to get it out of the way.

·
Registered
584 Posts
You really should order it from RockAuto. Amazon has had some of this stuff counterfeited. Sadly we have seen a few engines damaged from counterfeit parts so make very sure you’re getting legit stuff. Shipped and sold by Amazon is probably OK, but I’d do RockAuto to be sure.

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
You really should order it from RockAuto. Amazon has had some of this stuff counterfeited. Sadly we have seen a few engines damaged from counterfeit parts so make very sure you’re getting legit stuff. Shipped and sold by Amazon is probably OK, but I’d do RockAuto to be sure.
That link is the Aisin Store on Amazon. But ya, make sure your kit looks like this and not tampered with.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That link is the Aisin Store on Amazon. But ya, make sure your kit looks like this and not tampered with.
View attachment 147656

Thanks for the photo .. I will check and compare ...

It does say shipped by Amazon so most likely not a counterfeit unless I get unlucky and received another customer's returned item.

Mine arriving on Friday.

I tried ordering themostats but look like it's out of stock :(. I got the socket but the crankshaft holder is out of stock too however I can get one on a loaner from a local auto stop for free anyway.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I like RockAuto and order from it once a blue while if Amazon doesn't stock name brand parts I am looking for but I hated their "core charge" when they knew customer are most likely not going to return it because it not worth the time to ship it back when customer have to cover the shipping fee to ship it back.

Amazon got a awesome return policy and I get instant refund as soon my local UPS store scan the label on the package when I drop it off allowing me to order with refund right away.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,269 Posts
Keep in mind that while Amazon has an awesome return policy, if you end up with a counterfeit timing belt kit, their awesome return policy isn't going to do squat if that counterfeit timing belt breaks in a few thousand miles and shells a motor. They $5k-$6k price of a good rebuilt motor is going to fall on you.

Sometimes the best way to save money is to spend money.

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
Keep in mind that while Amazon has an awesome return policy, if you end up with a counterfeit timing belt kit, their awesome return policy isn't going to do squat if that counterfeit timing belt breaks in a few thousand miles and shells a motor. They $5k-$6k price of a good rebuilt motor is going to fall on you.

Before we scare everyone and especially the OP, maybe the OP can photograph each item when it comes in and post here. We can examine them closely for authenticity.

·
Super Moderator
4,269 Posts
Before we scare everyone and especially the OP, maybe the OP can photograph each item when it comes in and post here. We can examine them closely for authenticity.
I understand the sentiment, we personally purchase many things via Amazon, but to me I don't think the difference of a few dollars is important enough to take the risk of possibly getting a counterfeit timing belt kit bought through Amazon instead of a reputable auto parts supplier.

We have on more than one occasion on this forum had the very same kind of discussions involving purported counterfeit NGK spark plugs from eBay and Amazon. The failure of a counterfeit spark plug is an easier and cheaper to fix than the failure of a counterfeit timing belt.

In fact, checking the price of the Amazon list Aisin Kit and the exact same Aisin Kit from an often recommended auto parts distributor here on this forum the auto parts distributor price is $166.79, while on Amazon the linked price is $171.14.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Sorry I wasn't clear on this.

I meant Amazon have a excellent return policy so in event if I received the package and it turn out to be counterfeit after inspecting it then I know I can get a full instant refund from Amazon.

I didn't meant to return it if it breaks after installing it etc. I plan to check and come here to confirm that I got the genius parts before installing it or it goes back to Amazon and I'll just order it from Rock Auto instead.

Thanks for your concern.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I understand the sentiment, we personally purchase many things via Amazon, but to me I don't think the difference of a few dollars is important enough to take the risk of possibly getting a counterfeit timing belt kit bought through Amazon instead of a reputable auto parts supplier.

We have on more than one occasion on this forum had the very same kind of discussions involving purported counterfeit NGK spark plugs from eBay and Amazon. The failure of a counterfeit spark plug is an easier and cheaper to fix than the failure of a counterfeit timing belt.

In fact, checking the price of the Amazon list Aisin Kit and the exact same Aisin Kit from an often recommended auto parts distributor here on this forum the auto parts distributor price is $166.79, while on Amazon the linked price is $171.14.
We are a Prime member on Amazon and it will arrive tomorrow just in time for us weekend warriors to work on the Pilot. Rock Auto charge additional shipping which cost 9 dollars and it would not arrive until next week.

166.76 + 9.00 = 175.76 from Rock Auto.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I planned on comparing it to the photo on the AISIN website and if I seen anything questionable then I will take a photo and post it here to get your feedback on it.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
9,404 Posts

Free shipping versus + shipping.
I don't fear getting a counterfeit kit from Amazon. I do fear getting one that may have been a return.

·
Super Moderator
4,269 Posts
I planned on comparing it to the photo on the AISIN website and if I seen anything questionable then I will take a photo and post it here to get your feedback on it.

Thanks all!
Glad to note you are doing due diligence when the parts come in. We too are Prime members and I am currently awaiting a delivery tomorrow. I am just of a cautious nature when it comes to certain items. Especially items of a critical nature.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Guess I'd better click on my place in the Prime delivery line. Need to watch a few more videos to make sure I'm actually capable of getting the job finished correctly.

Bought the coolant last week; need to get spark plugs, thermostat and seal, plus maybe cam cover gaskets. Car has less than 55k on it, so maybe plugs and valve adjustment isn't critical yet. Might just do 'em for practice....

Reactions: aggrex and The Todd

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i made some notes today on torque specs but there one specs where I got two different information on is the crankshaft pulley.

Here the specs I gathered so far

Crank Pulley - 19mm @ 47ft lbs then 60 degree turn

The second Crank Pulley spec I found is 181ft lbs

My torque wrench only goes up to 150ft lbs so I will have to get a loaner on this one.

Rear Upper Timing Cover - 10mm @ 8.7ft lbs
Front Upper Timing Cover - 10mm @ 8.7ft lbs
Lower Timing Cover - 10mm @ 8.7ft lbs
Engine Mount Bracket - 14mm @ 33ft lbs
Hydraulic Tensioner - 10mm @ 8.7ft lbs
Idler Pulley - 14mm @ 33ft lbs
Tensioner Pulley - 14mm @ 19ft lbs
Water Pump - 10mm @ 8.7ft lbs

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Ultra-rare 2DR SWB version?