Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had some work done on our 2005 Pilot EXL; for timing belt kit including water pump, reseal of the oil pump that included dropping down the exhaust and oil pan, replacement of both valve cover gaskets (kit), thermostat and coolant replacement, VTM fluid replacement, spark plugs replacement, paid total 1,270.
Some of the parts used during service were purchased by me: Honda OEM timing belt kit with water pump (9 pieces), I paid $134.00, OEM spark plugs $45, VTM fluid, Honda bond, and two seals for oil pumps all together my parts were about $230. Remaining parts such as valve cover kits, antifreeze, synthetic oil/filter were included in 1,270 I paid to mechanic. Very satisfied with his work, he used to work for a few years for Honda dealership then opened his own shop about 5 years ago two blocks away from dealer in San Benito, TX.
He also removed the blower to clean it which removed annoying rattling sound and checked/recharged ac system.
In a few months I will take a car to him again to replace main seal which leaks oil. Not a big leak but I want to take care of it. Month earlier I followed YouTube video to replace V-tech solenoid gasket, brake pads, and PCV valve.
My wife loves this car and want to keep it as long as possible. We bought it 27 months ago from original owner with 141,000, Today it has 179,300. I did not have to replace timing belt yet since the original owner had it replaced at 106,000 miles but since I had some oil leaks I decided to have it replaced a bit early.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,198 Posts
Do you know which timing belt kit was used, Aisin, Gates or other? If you say it was OEM, it's probably Aisin. (y)

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL- 227,700 Miles
733 Posts
Maannnn!!!! What a deal!! My oil leak at valve cover gasket was due to me trying Full Synthetic.. changed to standard oil and leak stopped!!😀👍. Still going to be replacing soon when I start valve adjustments 👍

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Looks like you got a great mechanic you can trust who doesn't overcharge.
It's getting hot, even hotter in the Rio Grande Valley. Have you serviced your transmission with MaxLife ATF yet?

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
10,198 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you know which timing belt kit was used, Aisin, Gates or other? If you say it was OEM, it's probably Aisin. (y)

Timing belt was made by Mitsubishi

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like you got a great mechanic you can trust who doesn't overcharge.
It's getting hot, even hotter in the Rio Grande Valley. Have you serviced your transmission with MaxLife ATF yet?
I actually followed forum instructions and did MaxLife ATF flash about 20k miles ago

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,166 Posts
You might also consider replacing the transmission filter. At 179k miles it’s bound to be dirty.

·
Registered
10,198 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
519 Posts
Maannnn!!!! What a deal!! My oil leak at valve cover gasket was due to me trying Full Synthetic.. changed to standard oil and leak stopped!!😀👍. Still going to be replacing soon when I start valve adjustments 👍
Wait, synthetic oil causes leaks? I've got a couple small leaks on my valve covers that i assumed were due to age and not oil type. Is that a real thing, or a myth?

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Wait, synthetic oil causes leaks? I've got a couple small leaks on my valve covers that i assumed were due to age and not oil type. Is that a real thing, or a myth?
A heavier viscosity will slow down leaks, Especially around seals. I'd use 5w30 on an old Honda V6. Change to 0w30 if you deal with sub freezing temps in the winter.
Conventional oil will bake on easier than synthetic. Synthetic will keep an engine cleaner.

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
Or pour in a bottle of AT-205 <-[click the new spoiler blur] and keep using original spec oil. (Having fun with the new font settings):)

Fluid Leak

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Or pour in a bottle of AT-205 <-[click the new spoiler blur] and keep using original spec oil. (Having fun with the new font settings):)

Fluid Leak
The AT-205 treatment scares me if it should happen to seal up my VVT filter screens or even my oil filter.

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
The AT-205 treatment scares me if it should happen to seal up my VVT filter screens or even my oil filter.
It's a polymer, not molasses or STP.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts