Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
379 Posts
I doubt they would inspect anything they weren't asked to. But then again they do like to search for money. Has the timing belt been done already? How many miles on vehicle? I have an 04 with 170k and never had rings done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has a 158 k and the timing belt was replaced at 100 K by a Honda Mechanic moonlighting out of his home garage. Unfortunately though, I have no slip showing the repair, and he is no longer available. I have a buyer for the car, if I can prove the work was done. The ring job was done by a Honda garage , but their slip doesn't list a timing belt, I have seen videos which suggest that the timing belt is removed in order to pull the pistons. It seems they wouldn't put the engine back together with a belt that didn't look fairly new..

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,953 Posts
Even if the belt was inspected there is no way to tell how much longer it will last.

If I was the buyer I would operate under the presumption the belt was not changed unless there is documented proof. Unfortunately you might have to give the “timing belt needs to be replaced” discount.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even if the belt was inspected there is no way to tell how much longer it will last.

If I was the buyer I would operate under the presumption the belt was not changed unless there is documented proof. Unfortunately you might have to give the “timing belt needs to be replaced” discount.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah , that's what I may have to do. OR I pass on this buyer. I know the timing belt was changed at around 100 k. . Also, Seems the dealership would reach out to me since engine was apart and installing a new belt would be small cash. If I had taken the Pilot home, and the timing belt failed within a few months, I'd have to wonder if they messed up. I'd also like to know what the written procedure is for this repair.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
820 Posts
I’m trying to figure out why Honda would replace something that wasn’t covered under the recall. They wouldn’t. I assume they would do the absolute bare minimum. So prepare to give a discount or find another uninformed buyer. I would be hesitant to buy a car that has no documented proof of that expensive service being done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They actually charged me for other things they noticed , and could have made more money by suggesting repairs that I might want. Nonetheless, . I know it was a huge mistake not demanding slips on such major work as timing belt replacement. The fact is the potential buyer was informed.

·
Registered
906 Posts
When they did my rings at 162K they did not suggest or add any additional components to the repair other than what was required. They do need to pull the heads so the belt would have been pulled. I would be more interested in the condition of the belt tensioner than the belt itself due to the low miles on the replacement belt. The repair order was pretty basic, just replace piston rings on cylinders 1-4 and about four pages of parts /consumables required to do the job. Not sure I still have it laying around or if it went with the trade in. I try to hand over the stack of maintenance records when I get rid of a vehicle so the new owner has some idea what was done and when.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts