Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to the forum but not to Hondas. My 08 4wd Pilot has 122k miles on it and from what i can tell probably has never had anything other than oil changes done to it. So here is my laundry list, and below that some general questions, looking for feedback / any experiences.

Engine:
Timing belt -All Honda parts, belt, tensioner, idler & tensioner pulley, water pump.
The question i have is do many of you replace the upper cam oil seals and the lower crank oil seal when you are in there, i have heard mixed reviews on this? I have them but am debating if its worth digging deeper into the engine to
replace. Having done one in the past on another smaller car this one looks like it maybe easier to work on with its size.

Drive:
Transmission Fluid -Done
Rear Diff Fluid -Any tips on this one / how much heard that you just fill it up level with the hole?
CVs / Half Shafts, thoughts on replacing these as i will be in there doing work anyway and at that age why not?
On the rear driver side rear CV seems to be damp like the diff fluid is just keeping it wet, not dripping etc just looks damp. (thinking that is the dust seal on that guy needs a replacement any other thoughts)

Suspension:
Front Struts
Front Strut Stabilizer (has tear in the boots)
Rear Shocks
Probably going to go with KYB on the front and rear is it necessary to replace the coil springs at this time being 10 years old? If not KYB then what and spring choice if needed?

Seems like a laundry list i know but got a really good deal on it so time for a little TLC. Longer term plans are to put a lift kit, running boards and bumper / brush guard /update the crappy radio for one with a backup cam. looking for the long haul on this guy

·
Registered
451 Posts
Regarding crankshaft and cam oil seals: my 2 cents, you only have 122k miles on the engine, and if the seals are not leaking, leave them alone. You are overdue on the timing belt/water pump. Take care of that soon. If the seals are leaking at 200k, then do them at the next timing belt change. I have 206k on my 2003, and I did the timing belt/pump a couple of months ago. The original seals were still ok, so I left them alone. If they leak in a year or two, I will fix it then.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
For the rear diff only use Honda or Acura VTM-4 fluid. Remove the fill plug first. The crush washers are for drain and fill ports are different sizes regardless of what the person at the parts counter says.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Oh, and park on level ground. When you fill the rear diff don’t fully tighten the fill port until you have gone back and forth on your street a few times then topped it off. You should add VTM-4 until it starts dripping from the fill port.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would add new spark plugs to the list at that mileage. If your going to do the front suspension. I would look into replacing the front lower control arm bushings also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OMG man i read that completely wrong, nice catch. To be honest i didnt even consider the transfer case i was thinking about the rear diff case.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that i will probably leave them alone then, the lower control arms are showing a bit of wear will address them at a later time i think need to get the "laundry list" done first.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Dealer told me two years ago the compliance bushings (Honda’s terminology for LCA bushings) were going to ruin the new set of tires on the Pilot. Fast forward to today and the bushings are still just slightly torn. Keep an eye on them and when they really start to separate then replace the control arm assembly since you might as well get a new ball joint too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts