Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my kids and I were traveling for Christmas, and my timing belt failed while going 65 mph on the interstate. From everything I’ve read, the engine is an interference design. The local shop in Colorado thinks a new timing belt kit will fix it. They did a leak down test on 4 of the 6 cylinders so far and they’re within spec. This engine has 201000 miles on it. Here are my questions. Is there anything else that happens to the engine besides compression when this happens? Has anyone else experienced a failure like this that didn’t destroy the engine? If I green light this and it doesn’t work I’m out over a grand. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
Hasn't happened to me so I'm perhaps not the best to comment on this, but if you give them the green light, try to get a written guarantee. Valves can get bent on an interference engine that experiences a timing belt failure.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hold up a sec. Have they already changed the belt? It would be impossible to do a leak down test if the valves are not in time with the pistons, because valves will be stuck open. If they haven't already changed the belt and they are doing a leakdown test, then they are full of something. If they did change the belt already, then 4 out 6 testing good doesn't mean much unless all 6 are good, because they don't know if it's the one of the others that had open valves that got hammered.

If you somehow lucked out and didn't bend any of the 24 valves, then you just won the timing belt $10 million powerball lottery, it's usually very unlikely that valves weren't bent when that happens.

Edit: It would very difficult to do a leakdown test without a working belt. Possibly if they took the covers off and they are absolutely certain they have the cams lined up correctly to test each cylinder, and they are certain they are not moving when the test is performed, then maybe they know what they are doing. It sounds fishy to me, though.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
If the vales were all in a position when the crank kept spinning, if none got bent-

Go Buy a Lottery Ticket! Cuz things are going your way!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Hold up a sec. Have they already changed the belt? It would be impossible to do a leak down test if the valves are not in time with the pistons, because valves will be stuck open. If they haven't already changed the belt and they are doing a leakdown test, then they are full of something. If they did change the belt already, then 4 out 6 testing good doesn't mean much unless all 6 are good, because they don't know if it's the one of the others that had open valves that got hammered.

If you somehow lucked out and didn't bend any of the 24 valves, then you just won the timing belt $10 million powerball lottery, it's usually very unlikely that valves weren't bent when that happens.
I did my last post before I read yours.

Totally agree with so way to do it w/o the timing belt working to close the cylinder being tested.
Something's fishy.

Reactions: aloogatr

·
Registered
312 Posts
If the belt did break and it is not some other problem I am 99 % sure that some valves are bent. If you only lost a tooth or two on the belt it may be ok. I agree with others that I don't see them doing a leak down without a belt installed. They may be saying that those two cylinders are good so that they can later come back and say that the other 4 have problems. The only practical way to do a leak down is to wither put a belt on it or pull the rocker shafts off. The belt is the easiest way by far. That is the only way to know 100%. And then, why not just see if it will start and run ok. No real need for a leak down if you can run it. I personally could not tell them to put a belt on it unless they could guarantee that would fix it. I have a bad feeling based on what they said.

I would see if I could find another shop in town for a second opinion.

The last one I looked at that had a broken belt I just pulled one of the valve covers and looked at the valve clearance. It was obvious that valves were bent based on the valve clearance. I only needed to see a few to know I did not need to go further.

·
Registered
2007 EX-L
425 Posts
Strange things are afoot at the Circle K. I consider myself extremely lucky surviving this type of incident in my Del Sol. No bent valves at all, and the car is still running around. It happens, but not very often.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot
94 Posts
Strange things are afoot at the Circle K. I consider myself extremely lucky surviving this type of incident in my Del Sol. No bent valves at all, and the car is still running around. It happens, but not very often.
Just change your engine JDM the engine Depot sells them for about $1200 and if you want the transmission with it it’s about $1500 and all engine mileage are no more than 55000 straight from Japan and get a reputable mechanic for the installation 1-201-955-9556 get them to deliver it to the shop I buy from them all the time good luck brother and don’t bother repairing the engine you have in your truck wasted money

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Just change your engine JDM the engine Depot sells them for about $1200 and if you want the transmission with it it’s about $1500 and all engine mileage are no more than 55000 straight from Japan and get a reputable mechanic for the installation 1-201-955-9556 get them to deliver it to the shop I buy from them all the time good luck brother and don’t bother repairing the engine you have in your truck wasted money
Japan has that many 'used' Honda V-6's around? Cool and good to know.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
For research purposes only,
Was that the first OEM timing belt at 201K?
If not, how many miles/years were on that one that broke?

Good luck on you decision, God Bless you and your family, and Happy Holidays.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
I sure hope the OP gets back with us soon. I'm left hanging here big time.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,187 Posts
You could ask the shop to pull the spark plugs and send a bore scope down into the cylinders. If their bore scope has a side view camera they shouldn’t have to insert it too far into the cylinders to assess the condition of the valves and pistons.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
^^^.
Even more so, did it happen or is it just a hypothetical play?
Op, more details please.

I watched YT series that [email protected] Main Auto smoked test a Ridgeline engine and was able to diagnose stuck valve on cylinder #4. The local shop can do that, right? Shop can turn and align camshafts with/without TB.
Yes, you can turn cams to adjust timing. It must be done carefully because the pistons will touch valves when doing this by hand.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
You could ask the shop to pull the spark plugs and send a bore scope down into the cylinders. If their bore scope has a side view camera they shouldn’t have to insert it too far into the cylinders to assess the condition of the valves and pistons.
How common is it for borescopes to have side view cameras? Granted, mine is a cheap model, but it doesn't.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,187 Posts
How common is it for borescopes to have side view cameras? Granted, mine is a cheap model, but it doesn't.
Mine does, but it also cost me ~$150. I splurged on that purchase. I’d expect a shop to have a decent bore scope.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts