Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just joined a few min ago cause I need some expertise on head removal. Big question I have is, can you remove the rear cylinder head with the engine in the car? It’s a 2014 and I replaced the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, and idler 30k miles ago. Used all Honda parts. Turning down our road the other night it quit and turning the crank did not turn cam gears so apart it comes again. Timing belt is snapped in half. I have it pretty much torn down and I’m working on the front exhaust manifold when I get home from work so hopefully the front head will be off tonight. Rear head looks like fun. Haven’t determined cause of failure yet. Any tips or tricks for removing/installing the heads would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Hello, just joined a few min ago cause I need some expertise on head removal. Big question I have is, can you remove the rear cylinder head with the engine in the car? It’s a 2014 and I replaced the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, and idler 30k miles ago. Used all Honda parts. Turning down our road the other night it quit and turning the crank did not turn cam gears so apart it comes again. Timing belt is snapped in half. I have it pretty much torn down and I’m working on the front exhaust manifold when I get home from work so hopefully the front head will be off tonight. Rear head looks like fun. Haven’t determined cause of failure yet. Any tips or tricks for removing/installing the heads would be appreciated. Thanks
I don't have any tricks, but the rear head will come off. It's just more difficult. The catalytic converter will cause the most pain.
There are many here with experience that will be glad to answer questions when your going back together with it. Tear down is the easy part.
Do you know the cause of the timing belt break yet?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet. Tensioner seems to have pressure but I haven’t removed it yet. I’ll check water pump and cams to see if something is seized. Belt snapped as if there was a seizure.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
279 Posts
are there any teeth sheered off the belt or is the smooth side burned or glazed over? not many items to go wrong here and I can't believe a brand new pulley bearing from honda would seize up but anything's possible I suppose.
belts can also break just because there was a simple manufacturing defect

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Wow! I feel for you.
Please keep posting, add pictures, etc.
Lot's of very knowledgeable peeps on here!

good luck

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Read Only
293 Posts
I just did this job on a 1st gen, head gaskets on both heads, I assume 2nd gen is going to be extremely similar. May as well put in a new AISIN timing belt kit while you're in there.

Yes, the head will come off. Once you get all of the intake stuff of, along with the rear cat disconnected (you don't have to take it out fully) you'll see that the head will lift off. Getting it back on is tough because it's hard to get it perfectly aligned at that far back angle, but definitely doable with 2 people.

Buy new head bolts to put the head on, I used OEM, use an OEM gasket. You'll need an angle gauge to get the bolts torqued correctly, I used this one. 1/2" Torque Setting Angular Gauge with Magnetic Arm - Int. Square Head & Clip Arm: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific - it's a little querky, but it ended up working OK once I figured it out.

I replaced all of the water tube gaskets too with OEM, the water pipe is annoying to get off, message me if you need some help.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I just did this job on a 1st gen, head gaskets on both heads, I assume 2nd gen is going to be extremely similar. May as well put in a new AISIN timing belt kit while you're in there.

Yes, the head will come off. Once you get all of the intake stuff of, along with the rear cat disconnected (you don't have to take it out fully) you'll see that the head will lift off. Getting it back on is tough because it's hard to get it perfectly aligned at that far back angle, but definitely doable with 2 people.

Buy new head bolts to put the head on, I used OEM, use an OEM gasket. You'll need an angle gauge to get the bolts torqued correctly, I used this one. 1/2" Torque Setting Angular Gauge with Magnetic Arm - Int. Square Head & Clip Arm: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific - it's a little querky, but it ended up working OK once I figured it out.

I replaced all of the water tube gaskets too with OEM, the water pipe is annoying to get off, message me if you need some help.
I know it's something, but WTH is that tool for? Never seen/heard of it.
I'm not knocking, I'm learning. FR, what is it and what is it for? Does everyone use one? Where have I been? Don't ask me that last question.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
I know it's something, but WTH is that tool for? Never seen/heard of it.
I'm not knocking, I'm learning. FR, what is it and what is it for? Does everyone use one? Where have I been? Don't ask me that last question.
According to the 06' service manual, you have to torque the head bolts in a series, it's something like 45 degrees / 45 degrees / 45 degrees, going in order on each bolt. Using a gauge takes the guess work out of it. A digital torque wrench will do the same, but way more expensive for a 1 time use.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome. Thanks for the replies. I’ve seen quite a few mentions of the AISIN belt kits. FelPro makes a gasket kit and head bolt kit that I’ve seen quite a few guys on YouTube use. You’d stick with oem when it comes to gaskets and head bolts?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Oh, so you're torquining by % of a revolution, rather than by #'s?

I have a new nifty clicky HF torque wrench I recently got. Seems like that would work, no?

I watched the video- no angle gauge was used in it?

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Another thing to be careful of when installing a timing belt is to make sure there is no slack on the right side of the belt. To prevent this, loop over the back cam, then under water pump, then over front cam, and stretching it tight down and around crank gear.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Not really, you torque to 22lbf-ft then 90°, again 90°, and if new head bolts 90° again. My tq wrench has a gyro in it to keep track of the degrees 😀.
That's a smart torque wrench.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for the replies. I’ve seen quite a few mentions of the AISIN belt kits. FelPro makes a gasket kit and head bolt kit that I’ve seen quite a few guys on YouTube use. You’d stick with oem when it comes to gaskets and head bolts?
Why risk doing the job twice, the job sucks...the oem gasket lasted forever...stick with it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Snap on atech3fr250b which is 1/2 inch. I bought the 1/2 and 3/8 at the same time, 625 for both, but that was good deal. Snap on guy treats me well.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Can't go wrong with the Aisin TKH002 kit. Just make sure it's an authentic kit put together by Aisin.
https://www.amazon.com/Aisin-TKH-00...2+aisin&qid=1612304180&sprefix=tkh002+&sr=8-3
Head bolts and gaskets, I'd likely play it safe and buy OEM.

Reactions: aggrex
1 - 20 of 99 Posts