Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ever do an oil change in your driveway when there's snow on the ground and the temperature is below freezing?
I did a timing chain on a full size Ford van outside, in Feb, in Minnesota, with snow on the ground. It was 10°. Until I built my garage, all my repairs/maintenance was done outside from Feb '94 to May 2005. My wife and i each drove about 33,000 miles a year, so that's a lot of oil changes.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,827 Posts
Ever do an oil change in your driveway when there's snow on the ground and the temperature is below freezing?
No.
I am sympathetic, but maybe it would be best to do so between cold fronts?

·
Registered
11,283 Posts
Are you kidding? That's my default move. :)

How about you? All comfy and warm in the dealership's waiting area? :p

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
531 Posts
the seasons we have are so predictable I'm not sure why anyone would do their oil change in the 100 degree heat or the 10 degree cold. I've been changing my oil in the spring or fall or both when temps are a nice 55 to 75. otherwise it can wait. work smart, don't suffer

·
Registered
11,283 Posts
the seasons we have are so predictable I'm not sure why anyone would do their oil change in the 100 degree heat or the 10 degree cold. I've been changing my oil in the spring or fall or both when temps are a nice 55 to 75. otherwise it can wait. work smart, don't suffer
Actually, that's pretty much how I time it. I was just trying to make @xGS jealous because he likes it cool. :)

Just did mine a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
86 Posts
When it's due, I change the oil. Can't wait for nice weather, but at least I have a 30 x 50 garage now.

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
Back when I was DIYing oil changes, my annual mileage was about 25K and the oil change interval was 3K, so there was no option but to some of them during either winter or summer. At that time, the Audi dealer didn't offer 'while-u-wait' oil changes.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot SE
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Since today is such a beautiful day, I'm hoping to finally finish this job in one go. I went to inspect where the oil leak could be coming from and noticed that one of the oil pump(?) bolts seem to be leaking oil. Any idea on the cause of this (aside from a loose bolt)? Could this be related to the PCV valve?

Gear Auto part Font Circle Metal

Also found that these are indeed the original (Unitta) timing belt and Honda-branded water pump. 😬

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,827 Posts
Since today is such a beautiful day, I'm hoping to finally finish this job in one go. I went to inspect where the oil leak could be coming from and noticed that one of the oil pump(?) bolts seem to be leaking oil. Any idea on the cause of this (aside from a loose bolt)? Could this be related to the PCV valve?

View attachment 154094

Also found that these are indeed the original (Unitta) timing belt and Honda-branded water pump. 😬
Oil pump bolts can begin to leak, but it's more common when they are tampered with after the Honda bond gasket maker dries and sets. Loosening or retighting these can crack the bond causing a leak. It is a bit of a chore to reseal the oil pump properly. This requires dropping the exhaust and oil pan, then removing the pump, clean surface for new gasket maker. If this is something you don't want to tackle, I might be tempted to remove the bolt clean it and inside the bolt holes to remove oil and apply some Permatex Ultra Black RTV around the shoulder of the bolt, in hopes of preventing oil from leaking out around it, especially under the timing cover.
I'd also replace the main seal and cam seals.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot SE
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 · (Edited)
Alright, truth be told, I am stumped. The good news is I got the timing belt, pulleys, and tensioner all installed. I currently have the bottom timing cover and crank pulley back on. The frustrating news is that I can't one of the bolts of the passenger side motor mount in, specifically the bolt in between the fuse box and ECU/PCM (not the top bolt that holds the bracket with the A/C line and wire onto the motor mount). The A/C line is preventing a straight angle towards the bolt hole. Any tips?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Alright, truth be told, I am stumped. The good news is I got the timing belt, pulleys, and tensioner all installed. I currently have the bottom timing cover and crank pulley back on. The frustrating news is that I can't one of the bolts of the passenger side motor mount in, specifically the bolt in between the fuse box and ECU/PCM (not the top bolt that holds the bracket with the A/C line and wire onto the motor mount). The A/C line is preventing a straight angle towards the bolt hole. Any tips?
If I recall correctly you can pop the A/C line out of its supports and move it out of the way a bit. Those are a frustrating part of the job for sure. I believe I was able to do that then with a telescoping magnet to get the bolt down in the hole and get it started.

Reactions: Sol and Chukmak

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot, original owner
67 Posts
I have a NAPA Auto Parts store that is local to where I live. I drove there to do in-person purchase of the kit.

They were out-of-stock on the AISIN TKH-002 kit. Ordered the kit, paid-in-advance. The kit's cost was approx US$271. Got a phone call the next day: kit was in-store, ready for me to pick it up. Drove back to the store, showed them my pre-paid receipt, picked it up

I just started purchasing all the tools and kit within the past month (Nov/Dec 2021), to do my own DIY timing belt chg. So if folks are having challenges getting the AISIN kit through other vendors, perhaps try NAPA (worked for me, I don't own any NAPA stock, not a paid endorsement, etc etc etc ; ) ).

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
I have a NAPA Auto Parts store that is local to where I live. I drove there to do in-person purchase of the kit.

They were out-of-stock on the AISIN TKH-002 kit. Ordered the kit, paid-in-advance. The kit's cost was approx US$271. Got a phone call the next day: kit was in-store, ready for me to pick it up. Drove back to the store, showed them my pre-paid receipt, picked it up

I just started purchasing all the tools and kit within the past month (Nov/Dec 2021), to do my own DIY timing belt chg. So if folks are having challenges getting the AISIN kit through other vendors, perhaps try NAPA (worked for me, I don't own any NAPA stock, not a paid endorsement, etc etc etc ; ) ).

Advance Auto might be another option for the Aisin kit, too.
Aisin not available, what's next best?

·
Registered
11,283 Posts
81 - 99 of 99 Posts