Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi all. My family owns a 2008 Honda Pilot SE that we've owned for over 10 years at this point. It's been relatively well maintained for the most part. In the past 2 years, there has been a new radiator, alternator, front shocks/struts, front control arms, sway bar links, serpentine belt, driver side CV axle, along with regular oil changes and a recent ATF drain and refill. Most of the maintenance, aside from the radiator and front shocks/struts, have been done by my father. There's just one elephant in the room: the timing belt hasn't ever been changed, and the thing just hit 171K miles. I've been pressuring my father to allow me to purchase a timing belt kit so we can change the timing belt, but he hasn't been too worried about it until he finally gave me the OK. The only issue now is that the Aisin TKH-002 kit is out of stock on RockAuto, and on Amazon it has an ETA of Nov 27 - Dec 2 (plus I'm worried about counterfeits on Amazon). I know it's not advisable, but I was thinking of purchasing the Gates TCK329 kit (the one without the water pump and tensioner grenade) from RockAuto and just reusing the original water pump and tensioner. I would like to hear what others think, at this point it's a gamble on how much longer the current timing belt will last.
I was going to suggest a slugging wrench for the crank pulley bolt but it seems they are not made in that size, and if they were, they would probably be expensive, a lot of money for something rarely used, although when I was working, any combo wrench was a potential slugging wrench LOL
Can you explain "Tensioner grenade"? Good luck on the parts purchase-

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,827 Posts
Can you explain "Tensioner grenade"? Good luck on the parts purchase-
The tensioner has a pin that’s pulled to release the plunger that applies tension to the tensioner pulley.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot 2WD
81 Posts
If you use 2 people to put the timing belt on, it works better and you will not get off a tooth. Have one person put a long breaker bar and socket on the back camshaft and put some backward pressure on it. Have the other person release the pin on the tensioner. Then turn the crankshaft 2 turns and check your timing marks. If they are on, put the car back together. If they are off, remove the tensioner, squeeze the plunger back in with the biggest pair of channel locks you can get, put the pin back in and put the tensioner back in place. Repeat this process until you get it right. It is common to get it right the first time. It is also about equally common to get it wrong the first time, but right the second.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The tensioner has a pin that’s pulled to release the plunger that applies tension to the tensioner pulley.
Oh! I was thinking the blow-up kind of grenade, 'cuz my vehicle suffered a catastrophic "Piston, meet valve" timing belt failure about 15,000-20,000 miles after replacement . We were not able to determine the exact cause of the failure: belt, an idler, something else, etc. It is going on 7 years since the replacement & repair, about 65,000 mi., so it's about time for another timing belt, right?

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
Oh! I was thinking the blow-up kind of grenade, 'cuz my vehicle suffered a catastrophic "Piston, meet valve" timing belt failure about 15,000-20,000 miles after replacement . We were not able to determine the exact cause of the failure: belt, an idler, something else, etc. It is going on 7 years since the replacement & repair, about 65,000 mi., so it's about time for another timing belt, right?
Who did the timing belt water pump job that broke?
Honda recommends every 105k miles or 7 years, which ever comes first.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Since I was doing the timing belt, I decided to replace the crank shaft oil seal. I didn't have the time to order, so I went to a Honda dealer. While there, I also bought the filter/ seal for the spool valve. Those two items cost me $41.06 ouch! The water pump I removed was a Honda labeled pump, and the belt showed no signs of wear or cracking. The next time I do this, the Pilot will have 315,000 miles...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Who did the timing belt water pump job that broke?
Honda recommends every 105k miles or 7 years, which ever comes first.
The job was done by a garage that I have been going to for probably 25 years. I trust the man: there have been times when I thought I needed something done on a vehicle, and he told me to save my money, it didn't need it. I have brought used cars I was thinking of buying to him for a pre-purchase inspection, and he did not charge me for his shop's time, so I made a donation to a Christian ministry he is involved in.
Because it had been 15k-20k miles since the work was done, I did not expect any warranty consideration, but he gave me discount on labor of about 35%.
Hopefully this week ol' Howard will get his Kalifornia Kompliant Katalytic Konverter, and the TB & water pump will be a Christmas gift (better than two front teeth, eh?).
Happy Pumpkin Spice Month
Wood Font Gas Poster Signage

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
The job was done by a garage that I have been going to for probably 25 years. I trust the man: there have been times when I thought I needed something done on a vehicle, and he told me to save my money, it didn't need it. I have brought used cars I was thinking of buying to him for a pre-purchase inspection, and he did not charge me for his shop's time, so I made a donation to a Christian ministry he is involved in.
Because it had been 15k-20k miles since the work was done, I did not expect any warranty consideration, but he gave me discount on labor of about 35%.
Hopefully this week ol' Howard will get his Kalifornia Kompliant Katalytic Konverter, and the TB & water pump will be a Christmas gift (better than two front teeth, eh?).
Happy Pumpkin Spice Month
View attachment 153452
It would be good to know where he got the parts and what brand. I’d ask to see his receipt of purchase.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Since I was doing the timing belt, I decided to replace the crank shaft oil seal. I didn't have the time to order, so I went to a Honda dealer. While there, I also bought the filter/ seal for the spool valve. Those two items cost me $41.06 ouch! The water pump I removed was a Honda labeled pump, and the belt showed no signs of wear or cracking. The next time I do this, the Pilot will have 315,000 miles...
UPS was very late today. I didn't get my serp belt tensioner until 4:45. After installing that and the belt, I started it up and it purrs like a kitten. No codes, no vibrations. It's good to have the Pilot back on the road. Next oil change, I'll replace the filter/seal on the spool valve/oil filter mount

·
Registered
11,283 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
UPS usually comes to my house about 10:30 or 11 AM. Driver said they had "computer" issues.They sent me the wrong one at first so I had to reorder. My engine doesn't use the one with the tensioner that looks like a shock absorber, it uses the older style. Any way, it's done.

·
Registered
11,283 Posts

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
That how I feel every day, still waiting for my VML, Foxwell NT630 Plus, and ATP AT-205 kickback checks. :)
Don't say kickback check. They turn your regular account into a commercial one. Almost happened to me. 😐

• Haha
Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot SE
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
Alright, so, after much delay, I'm finally working towards replacing the timing belt. There's just one thing I'm paranoid about and would appreciate feedback from anyone who has worked with this kit. Is it normal to see the internal "fabric" of the new timing belt from the side? As you go down the belt it appears and disappears into the rubber.

Crankset Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread Gear

As for actual progress, so far I've gotten the top left timing belt cover off in order to inspect the installed timing belt. I almost got the top right timing belt cover off, but the last 10mm bolt is blocked by the serpentine belt tensioner and I haven't lifted the car yet to access it... A job for tomorrow. :sleep:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Helmet

For a belt that has 171K miles, its looks are certainly deceiving... Or I'm just clueless. Do those white marks on the belt (that are perpendicular to its length) indicate anything?

41 - 60 of 99 Posts