Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot SE
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My family owns a 2008 Honda Pilot SE that we've owned for over 10 years at this point. It's been relatively well maintained for the most part. In the past 2 years, there has been a new radiator, alternator, front shocks/struts, front control arms, sway bar links, serpentine belt, driver side CV axle, along with regular oil changes and a recent ATF drain and refill. Most of the maintenance, aside from the radiator and front shocks/struts, have been done by my father. There's just one elephant in the room: the timing belt hasn't ever been changed, and the thing just hit 171K miles. I've been pressuring my father to allow me to purchase a timing belt kit so we can change the timing belt, but he hasn't been too worried about it until he finally gave me the OK. The only issue now is that the Aisin TKH-002 kit is out of stock on RockAuto, and on Amazon it has an ETA of Nov 27 - Dec 2 (plus I'm worried about counterfeits on Amazon). I know it's not advisable, but I was thinking of purchasing the Gates TCK329 kit (the one without the water pump and tensioner grenade) from RockAuto and just reusing the original water pump and tensioner. I would like to hear what others think, at this point it's a gamble on how much longer the current timing belt will last.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,827 Posts
Hi all. My family owns a 2008 Honda Pilot SE that we've owned for over 10 years at this point. It's been relatively well maintained for the most part. In the past 2 years, there has been a new radiator, alternator, front shocks/struts, front control arms, sway bar links, serpentine belt, driver side CV axle, along with regular oil changes and a recent ATF drain and refill. Most of the maintenance, aside from the radiator and front shocks/struts, have been done by my father. There's just one elephant in the room: the timing belt hasn't ever been changed, and the thing just hit 171K miles. I've been pressuring my father to allow me to purchase a timing belt kit so we can change the timing belt, but he hasn't been too worried about it until he finally gave me the OK. The only issue now is that the Aisin TKH-002 kit is out of stock on RockAuto, and on Amazon it has an ETA of Nov 27 - Dec 2 (plus I'm worried about counterfeits on Amazon). I know it's not advisable, but I was thinking of purchasing the Gates TCK329 kit (the one without the water pump and tensioner grenade) from RockAuto and just reusing the original water pump and tensioner. I would like to hear what others think, at this point it's a gamble on how much longer the current timing belt will last.
I'd not buy Gates. They have had water pump leak issues.
Automotive tire Auto part Circle Electric blue Rim

Plus I don't like their tensioner.
Hand Material property Cylinder Font Tints and shades

It's more expensive at Napa, but the Aisin kit can be bought there.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I know it's not advisable, but I was thinking of purchasing the Gates TCK329 kit (the one without the water pump and tensioner grenade) from RockAuto and just reusing the original water pump and tensioner. I would like to hear what others think, at this point it's a gamble on how much longer the current timing belt will last.
It's a gamble either way.

The cost of this job is the labor. A water pump leak 10k miles down the road means you have to do it all over again. Tensioner failure with a new belt is as bad as failure with an old belt. I don't see the upside in this strategy unless the belt that's in there is obviously shredding and on the way out the door.

Given all the work that's already been done, paying a little extra for the Aisin kit is minor, and is refunded many times over by DIY'ing this job.

While you're ordering, get the Lisle socket, too.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot SE
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a gamble either way.

The cost of this job is the labor. A water pump leak 10k miles down the road means you have to do it all over again. Tensioner failure with a new belt is as bad as failure with an old belt. I don't see the upside in this strategy unless the belt that's in there is obviously shredding and on the way out the door.

Given all the work that's already been done, paying a little extra for the Aisin kit is minor, and is refunded many times over by DIY'ing this job.

While you're ordering, get the Lisle socket, too.
Yeah that's a very good point. I'm looking at buying from NAPA or Walmart right now. I have the Lisle socket saved on Amazon. Also, would a crankshaft bolt holder tool be needed if I have the Lisle socket?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot SE
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'd not buy Gates. They have had water pump leak issues.
View attachment 153204
Plus I don't like their tensioner.
View attachment 153203
It's more expensive at Napa, but the Aisin kit can be bought there.
A bit higher price but it looks like they have it in stock.
Thank you for these, I especially forgot Walmart carried the kit! I ended up ordering from NAPA, turns out they have a blitz sale for 20% off ending today, combined with the $5 they give to new members signing up I was able to bring the price down to $213.39 (before tax).

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
Yeah that's a very good point. I'm looking at buying from NAPA or Walmart right now. I have the Lisle socket saved on Amazon. Also, would a crankshaft bolt holder tool be needed if I have the Lisle socket?
The 50mm crankshaft pulley holder tool will not be needed if using an impact with the 19mm Lesle socket. That is unless you plan to re‐torque the crankshaft pulley bolt back to 181 ft lbs.

·
Registered
854 Posts
If you can’t find a reliable source for the Aisin kit I’d just get it from Honda directly. You’re saving enough money diy that there’s no shame in paying a bit more for the original stuff.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Since this is the first time for the belt, you should expect 1000 ft-lbs to loosen the crank pulley bolt. Not sure why Honda has them so tight. Had the same issue on my sons 06 Civic. In my mind this is the hardest part of the job.

Also, on installation, its real easy to get the back cam off one tooth. Recommend removing the spark plugs to make turning the engine over easy and then rotating the engine one or two complete cycles and checking the alignment.

In my case, I was one tooth off and had cold start issues that were painful to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
11,301 Posts
Your timing couldn’t be better. After another long dry spell, this just landed in my inbox. Get 'em while they're hot. :)

RockAuto <[email protected]>
Sun 2021-09-26 7:52 AM

RockAuto.com ALL THE PARTS YOUR CAR WILL EVER NEED
Your RockAuto Parts Are Now Available

Dear plplplpl,

You asked to be notified when the following parts are in stock. They now are available, but inventory is limited and may sell quickly! Please click on the brand/part number below to go straight to the RockAuto catalog. Thank you for making RockAuto your part store!

2006 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6
Engine : Timing Belt, Water Pump & Component Kit

AISIN Part # TKH002

RockAuto, LLC
Madison, WI

Edit:: Aaaaaand... they're gone. Man! 🥵

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot SE
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your timing couldn’t be better. After another long dry spell, this just landed in my inbox. Get 'em while they're hot. :)

RockAuto <[email protected]>
Sun 2021-09-26 7:52 AM

RockAuto.com ALL THE PARTS YOUR CAR WILL EVER NEED
Your RockAuto Parts Are Now Available

Dear plplplpl,

You asked to be notified when the following parts are in stock. They now are available, but inventory is limited and may sell quickly! Please click on the brand/part number below to go straight to the RockAuto catalog. Thank you for making RockAuto your part store!

2006 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6
Engine : Timing Belt, Water Pump & Component Kit

AISIN Part # TKH002

RockAuto, LLC
Madison, WI

Edit:: Aaaaaand... they're gone. Man! 🥵
Man, I didn't even get an email and I asked to be notified on their website. It is what it is... Any idea how much they were before going out of stock?

·
Registered
11,301 Posts
Man, I didn't even get an email and I asked to be notified on their website. It is what it is... Any idea how much they were before going out of stock?
I had signed up for the alert a couple of months ago, when they got some in and sold out very fast. I had signed up previously, but I discovered that once they get some back in stock, no matter for how long, and alert you, your availability alert is gone and you have to create a new one.

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
I got a RA notification too. Someone bought them up quick. 😒

• Angry
Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
11,301 Posts

·
Registered
2007 EX-L
520 Posts

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
I'm not a conspiracy theorist (as those who are always say), but I'm telling you, it's Jeff Bezos and his minions.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EEYTRE/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdb_imm_PMFB1B6V1440YQN04SYW

Now joined tit for tat down to the last red cent by the ghost of Sam Walton and his cronies.

AISIN TKH-002 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump - Walmart.com
I'm not sure about it being Jeff Bezos' fault, lol. Amazon is out of stock too. Seems to me Aisin is a little behind on production and it's not like any of us have ever bought an Aisin kit off the shelf at Wally World, so they have a handful of kits available as they are trying to enhance their internet sales. After this thread, these will likely be gone today too.
Just a reminder to all who read these threads. There are many low quality kits being assembled and sold on the net. Early timing belt failure has been reported on this forum when using these kits. Make sure if your buying Aisin that it is genuine. It ships in a box like this with instructions. If it doesn't look like this, I wouldn't use it.
Font Metal Fashion accessory Logo Advertising

1 - 20 of 99 Posts