Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Timing Belt Cost

42375 Views 39 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  Nail Grease
Looking to get the timing belt done for my 2007 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD. Just posting this information for others to see. Not sure what I will do, but I am trying to get Dupage Auto Werks to let me buy the parts, which should be about $250.00, bringing that job down to $900.00.

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4" border="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="TOP"> <td height="15" width="15%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Repair Shop[/FONT]
</td> <td width="13%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Location[/FONT]
</td> <td width="33%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Job[/FONT]
</td> <td width="14%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Parts[/FONT]
</td> <td width="15%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Labor[/FONT]
</td> <td width="10%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Total[/FONT]
</td> </tr> <tr valign="TOP"> <td width="15%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Dupage Auto Werks[/FONT]
</td> <td width="13%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]West Chicago, IL[/FONT]
</td> <td width="33%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Replace timing belt and tensioner, Replace water pump and flush cooling system. Replace serpentine belt and adjust.[/FONT]
</td> <td width="14%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]$526.11[/FONT]
</td> <td width="15%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]$651.95[/FONT]
</td> <td width="10%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]$1,178.06[/FONT]
</td> </tr> <tr valign="TOP"> <td width="15%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Carlton Auto Repair[/FONT]
</td> <td width="13%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Wheaton, IL[/FONT]
</td> <td width="33%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Replace timing belt and tensioner, Replace water pump and flush cooling system. Replace serpentine belt and adjust.[/FONT]
</td> <td width="14%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Didn't provide breakdown[/FONT]
</td> <td width="15%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Didn't provide breakdown[/FONT]
</td> <td width="10%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]$1,235.04[/FONT]
</td> </tr> <tr valign="TOP"> <td width="15%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Honda of Lisle [/FONT]
</td> <td width="13%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Lisle, IL[/FONT]
</td> <td width="14%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Didn't provide breakdown[/FONT]
</td> <td width="15%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Didn't provide breakdown[/FONT]
</td> <td width="10%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]$1,350.00[/FONT]
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
429 Posts
I typically use a Gates belt. I have only used a Gates water pump once without any problems but I have personally known other people who have had them leak. I usually use a Honda water pump but the last one I did I used an Aisin. Honda or Gates or Aisin for the tensioner. Bando for the accessory belts. Felpro or Honda for oil seals.

$1,400 sounds about right for a dealer doing it but I have never paid to have this job done in a Pilot. But, make sure they are replacing everything. I have seen some dealers only replace the timing belt and nothing else. I got a quote on an Acura and when I asked why the quote was for the belt only the service writer told me that they only replace the seals and other stuff if they are leaking. I have two other independent Honda specialty shops that are good and they both quote replacing all of it.

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
15,004 Posts
Instead of starting a new topic, let me ask here:

What are dealers, or independent shops, charging for this service in you areas ?

Full TB and serpentine belt change.

For the DIYer, what TB Kit did you use, and how many hours did it take you to complete the job ?
What water-pump did you use ?
I have personally never taken a vehicle to a dealership/shop for this service. But the horror stories I've heard, that way exceed the ridiculous price that some people got charged is worth noting.
  1. Some dealerships claim they can't do your TB job without replacing your power steering pump.
  2. Some dealerships quote you a price but later ding you more for the TB tensioner or dont replace it at all.
  3. Replace the belt but not the water pump.
  4. Charge labor for replacing serpentine belt and tensioner when the customer has already paid for labor on a TB job.
I'm sure there are more things others could add.
I "Only" have ever used Aisin TB WP kits. I trust no other. I've never had one component fail from their kit.

Reactions: Sha93

· Registered
13,321 Posts
CDN$1000 at time of purchase 5 years ago, half paid for by me, half by seller.

· Registered
15,004 Posts

· Registered
13,321 Posts

· Registered
15,004 Posts

· Registered
13,321 Posts

· Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
9 Posts
Was this the "first", or "second" timing belt in its lifetime, for this vehicle ?
That was my first question. Just bought this 08 last week ($7600) and it was one owner previously. There was a very detailed carfax and he/she was completely on top of routine maintenance, including ATF changes. But strangely there was no record of a timing belt change. My mechanic said the belt looked worn, but no way of knowing if it had 40K on it or 135K. So my hunch is that it was the original belt.

· Registered
542 Posts
That was my first question. Just bought this 08 last week ($7600) and it was one owner previously. There was a very detailed carfax and he/she was completely on top of routine maintenance, including ATF changes. But strangely there was no record of a timing belt change. My mechanic said the belt looked worn, but no way of knowing if it had 40K on it or 135K. So my hunch is that it was the original belt.
Cool... nice price from a shop too

I was wondering if the pilot lasted 135k/13 years on one(first) TB.....
Since many are religious about the 105k/7year change regardless of condition

· Registered
13,321 Posts
Cool... nice price from a shop too

I was wondering if the pilot lasted 135k/13 years on one(first) TB.....
Since many are religious about the 105k/7year change regardless of condition
He (or PO) gambled and won. :)

· Registered
15,004 Posts
so what’re we saying here... I’ve got the wrong coolant in my system? big enough problem to flush/change?
I wouldn't flush it out if it says it's ok to use in your vehicle. The Honda OE 50/50 blue folks might tell you to.
I use multi-vehicle Prestone green concentrate in all my Honda's.

Reactions: VTpiloteer
21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.