Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Looking to get the timing belt done for my 2007 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD. Just posting this information for others to see. Not sure what I will do, but I am trying to get Dupage Auto Werks to let me buy the parts, which should be about $250.00, bringing that job down to $900.00.

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4" border="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="TOP"> <td height="15" width="15%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Repair Shop[/FONT]
</td> <td width="13%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Location[/FONT]
</td> <td width="33%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Job[/FONT]
</td> <td width="14%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Parts[/FONT]
</td> <td width="15%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Labor[/FONT]
</td> <td width="10%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Total[/FONT]
</td> </tr> <tr valign="TOP"> <td width="15%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Dupage Auto Werks[/FONT]
</td> <td width="13%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]West Chicago, IL[/FONT]
</td> <td width="33%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Replace timing belt and tensioner, Replace water pump and flush cooling system. Replace serpentine belt and adjust.[/FONT]
</td> <td width="14%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]$526.11[/FONT]
</td> <td width="15%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]$651.95[/FONT]
</td> <td width="10%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]$1,178.06[/FONT]
</td> </tr> <tr valign="TOP"> <td width="15%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Carlton Auto Repair[/FONT]
</td> <td width="13%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Wheaton, IL[/FONT]
</td> <td width="33%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Replace timing belt and tensioner, Replace water pump and flush cooling system. Replace serpentine belt and adjust.[/FONT]
</td> <td width="14%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Didn't provide breakdown[/FONT]
</td> <td width="15%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Didn't provide breakdown[/FONT]
</td> <td width="10%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]$1,235.04[/FONT]
</td> </tr> <tr valign="TOP"> <td width="15%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Honda of Lisle [/FONT]
</td> <td width="13%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Lisle, IL[/FONT]
</td> <td width="14%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Didn't provide breakdown[/FONT]
</td> <td width="15%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Didn't provide breakdown[/FONT]
</td> <td width="10%"> [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]$1,350.00[/FONT]
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

· Registered
905 Posts
It's about average. Lots of labor to get to the belt and put it back together. Figure at least 6hrs. Make sure your kit has new pulleys and when they replace the serpentine belt, have them put in a new bolt on the tensioner. I've seen multiple Honda 6cyl have the serpentine belt tensioner bolt break when reused. May also want to ask how providing your own parts may impact their warranty if there are issues.

· Registered
213 Posts
The AISIN TKH002 kit can be found for around $200. Add new belts too. If I recall correctly the Alldata hour requirements is 6. Find a shop that specializes in imports and that will allow you to provide an OEM kit. In my area the shop rate that I use is $70/hr. So, the 100K service on my 2009 was under $500 labor which also included valve lash inspection (suggested on the 2009, not sure about your 2007).

While $1000 is a lot to pay for maintenance I would think about it this way - $1000 probably 2-3 months in a car payment. Maintaining the vehicle for the long term with this required service will save you that 2-3 payment in the long run.

· Premium Member
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,502 Posts
Its the biggest bill you will likely have on your Pilot. But the full service includes replacing plugs, filters, oil, transmission, Rear diff. Based on your numbers those are included in the service but not mentioned.
The flip side is that you are now set up for another 105k of service from your Pilot.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothing else is included in those numbers, just timing belt job. The 105,000 mile service price, not including the timing belt, was quoted to me at between $300-400, depending on who you asked.

I just bought the car used with 102,000 miles on it and the selling dealer had just done a brake job, oil and filter change and put new tires on it. I just had the fluids in the transmission, transfer case and differential changed. I am going to change the air and cabin filters myself and with the timing belt job I should be in good shape

I saw the $865 coupon for Honda of Lisle. When I asked them, they said they coupon doesn't actually cover the entire job, only part of it, so it equates to 10% off the entire $1350.00 full price job.

Also, I checked with Crown Transmission in Glen Ellyn, IL, which, despite the name, does all types of repairs and they quoted $795 for (Replace timing belt and tensioner, Replace water pump and flush cooling system. Replace serpentine belt and adjust), so they win. Going in on Monday

· Registered
Miss our 2005 Pilot
5,167 Posts
Those rates are inline with what I recently paid for a timing belt job (timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, and coolant). $895 regular price, $795 with coupon. The timing belt tensioner was about $150 extra which was a bit high but I didn't have much choice since it was leaking and I wanted the job done that day. Out the door was roughly $1K after tax. The dealer also loaned out a 2016 Accord for the day so I got to take an extended "test drive" with a vehicle I'd definitely consider in the future.

· Registered
20 Posts
It is not a hard job, I do it all my cars, look for kit on Ebay that has Aisin water pump, Gate timing belt, gates tensioner, GMB pulleys it should be around $150. The water pump is the big one, do not buy gates brand. My dealer wants $800 to do the job they also the biggest crooks around, when I stop to get the recall work done.they came up with $3500 work they liked to do, of course all phony, because I have worked on my cars for 40 years, I thrust my cars to nobody but myself. The hardest part of this job is to get the plastic parts out of the way.

· Registered
29 Posts
ditto fox74... did my 2010 a month ago and all in not a bad job. I did have a bit of a struggle with the pulley bolt but ended up making a super beefy 19 mm socket that's got way more umpf behind it when attached to my impact gun. I bet when you include the spark plug change-over, coolant exchange and fiddling with the plastic fasteners in the wheel well it's about a 6 hour job.

· Registered
905 Posts
I did mine in January. Worst part was lying on the garage floor feeling the heat get sucked out of your body. My initial thought once I was done was I will never do that again. Now I have changed my mind. The cost of the parts are minimal, the effort and knowing what needs to come off and how to get it off will save me at least 2-3hrs in cursing and fighting. I'll do it again in another 50K when I hit 200,000. Hopefully this time it is a bit warmer out.

If you do it yourself, make sure the kit has a timing belt tensioner included. Mine was leaking and needed replaced. If it fails and your belt jumps a tooth or two..... you may be in for an expensive repair.

· Registered
8 Posts
Hello all, so I do not feel like doing my 2004 Tb by myself. I have heard the sync is a bit delicate and have to be very careful with this ? Any comments on this ? is it really that delicate and complicated to put back together ?

So any good reliable (non crook) shop for this in Northern NJ (Bergen County) ?

Thanks

· Registered
137 Posts
Hello all, so I do not feel like doing my 2004 Tb by myself. I have heard the sync is a bit delicate and have to be very careful with this ? Any comments on this ? is it really that delicate and complicated to put back together ?

So any good reliable (non crook) shop for this in Northern NJ (Bergen County) ?

Thanks

The hardest part IMO is removing the crank pulley bolt. Even with the crank pulley tool i have to use a breaker bar & a pipe ( sometimes ) .

I work for Honda and having power tools helps but isn't necessary.

Also the cam pulleys when lined up with the timing marks do not move so you don't have to worry about moving the cam gears to get the belt on .

Just install the belt counter clockwise with the slack on the tensioner side.

· Registered
21 Posts
This thread is a great reference and I am bumping to get a clarification-

Looks like the AISIN TKH002 kit includes all recommended belts; does it include new pulleys? Are new pulleys necessary? Is there anything else needed that isn’t in this kit? Thanks!

Amazon.com: Aisin TKH-002 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump: Automotive
The main parts you need are included in that aisin kit. I suggest getting new bolts for both pulleys in the kit. It's recommended in the service manual for at least the idler pulley (the single bearing looking item). You will also need a new bolt for the serpentine belt tensioner (or accessory belt idler as Honda likes to refer to it), that's also recommended. Might as well replace the serpentine belt too. There is a service bulletin for a shim behind the idler pulley that gets no attention but is recommended for most Pilots.

· Registered
542 Posts
Instead of starting a new topic, let me ask here:

What are dealers, or independent shops, charging for this service in you areas ?

Full TB and serpentine belt change.

For the DIYer, what TB Kit did you use, and how many hours did it take you to complete the job ?
What water-pump did you use ?

· Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,887 Posts
Everybody recommends the Asin kit that is sold on Rock Auto. I’m sure other kits would be fine, but it’s pretty cheap if you’re going the DIY route.
As far as paying a mechanic, I don’t think it should exceed $1,400. That’s if you go to a dealer, but independent mechanics could range from $700+ depending on what all they replace.
Make sure you ask what parts they are going to replace because some places won’t replace everything, OR they will replace extra stuff like the PS pump.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.