Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting my timing belt and water pump changed out by the dealer this week is there anything else I should get done at the same time? I do my own transmission fluid and oil changes myself regularly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replace your spark plugs, timing belt tensioner, drive belt and have them inspect your side engine mount while they do the timing belt.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,325 Posts
Now would be a good time to have the valve lash checked and corrected if necessary.

It would also be a good time to replace the serpentine belt. While a broken serpentine belt will not kill and engine like a timing belt failure will, the serpentine belt, like the timing belt is made of rubber. They both degrade. That way you shouldn't end up with a dead vehicle because the serpentine belt broke. They never brake infant of the dealer or an auto parts store. They only break when you are 100 miles from nowhere.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Serpentine belt would be good, they have to remove it anyway to do the TB. Won't lose the engine, but losing power steering assist and the alternator isn't fun, you won't get very far without it.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,067 Posts
I’m getting my timing belt and water pump changed out by the dealer this week is there anything else I should get done at the same time? I do my own transmission fluid and oil changes myself regularly.
By the dealer? I'll bet they're changing 'errythang they can LOL.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
The components under the timing cover are...
  • Timing Belt
  • Timing Belt Tensioner
  • Timing Belt Tensioner Pulley
  • Idler Pulley
  • Water Pump
  • Cam Seals (2)
  • Front Main Seal
  • 2 gallons of 50/50 coolant
I'd have them drain radiator when water pump is pulled and replaced.
At 105k it's doubtful that cam and main seals need replacing.
Some dealerships do not replace Timing Belt Tensioner Pulley or Idler Pulley. You might ask.
If you DIY, I'd save some cash and replace my own spark plugs, serpentine belt, serpentine belt tensioner and engine mount. I've never replaced the side engine mount unless it's broken. I've gone 180k miles on a serpentine belt tensioner. I use RockAuto for OEM Spark Plugs, NGK Laser Iridiums. The Ruthenium HX is proving to be a good substitute. I've heard no complaints so far.

I use Made in the USA Bando serpentine belts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I will be doing my timing belt soon. Planning to have the timing belt, water pump, tensioner on the TB and serpentine belt, serpentine belt, and the spark plugs. I am at 7 years on my 2014 EX-L with 78,000 miles. I pull a trailer occasionally.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was just estimated "approx. $3K" for the B 1356 service for my 2015 Pilot with 108K miles including timing belt and much of what has been mentioned above. Chicago suburbs so I know things are pricey but geez. Is that in the ballpark or should I be bending over?
Thx..

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Keep shopping. I'm not real sure why having valve lash checked/adjusted is so spendy at some places. Dealer costs I've seen have been around $1200 for the belt and pump plus associated bits. Coolant is a given since the pump is out, and the serpentine belt is about $30 at parts places. Must be really expensive spark plugs.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Keep shopping. I'm not real sure why having valve lash checked/adjusted is so spendy at some places. Dealer costs I've seen have been around $1200 for the belt and pump plus associated bits. Coolant is a given since the pump is out, and the serpentine belt is about $30 at parts places. Must be really expensive spark plugs.
There's "parts place" prices and then there are dealer prices for OEM parts.
Dealer list price for the serpentine belt is about $60 and about $40 each for spark plugs.
Timing belt is $115 and water pump is about $210.
$200 for the timing belt tensioner and $400 for the accessory belt tensioner.
Then add labor charges.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I was just estimated "approx. $3K" for the B 1356 service for my 2015 Pilot with 108K miles including timing belt and much of what has been mentioned above. Chicago suburbs so I know things are pricey but geez. Is that in the ballpark or should I be bending over?
Thx..
That's about double what we generally see for a timing belt job. If they are including the valve adjustment, they are still around $1,000 high. The joys of living in the big cities.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks y’all. The dealer said they might not replace the water pump if it looked fine. Should I have it done anyway? I wouldn’t have it done till the next timing belt replacement otherwise.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Thanks y’all. The dealer said they might not replace the water pump if it looked fine. Should I have it done anyway? I wouldn’t have it done till the next timing belt replacement otherwise.
That’s the best time to replace the water pump.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yes - it's driven off the timing belt. If it wasn't I'd say "sure" but given that it's driven off of it a bad water pump bearing could take out your belt and in turn take out the engine. I'd rather just replace it than potentially run it close to 200k miles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wish I had seen this post this morning! Just took my car in to a local shop with the A14 code. When I walked in, I told the office manager I had the code for timing belt and water pump replacement. Unfortunately, I just picked up the car and found out that is all they worked on, they didn't do the spark plug replacement or valve adjustment. When I asked the guy if they did all the work for the A14 code, he told me they were instructed to just do the timing belt, water pump and idlers, and oil change. No tire rotation either but I get that done at Discount Tires.I paid $1093.

I just called them after rechecking what A14 calls for and they told me to take the car back for them to give me a quote on the spark plugs and valve adjustment. Should I still ask for them to replace the serpentine belt or would the labor be ridiculously high? Anything else I might need? I wish I went with the dealer as they had told me they'd charge $1200 which I bet included everything the code calls for whereas I am a bit mad that the local shop didn't even bother looking at what code the car had. Or maybe I should just keep my mouth shut and tell them what code the car showed so they can do their due diligence.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
I wish I had seen this post this morning! Just took my car in to a local shop with the A14 code. When I walked in, I told the office manager I had the code for timing belt and water pump replacement. Unfortunately, I just picked up the car and found out that is all they worked on, they didn't do the spark plug replacement or valve adjustment. When I asked the guy if they did all the work for the A14 code, he told me they were instructed to just do the timing belt, water pump and idlers, and oil change. No tire rotation either but I get that done at Discount Tires.I paid $1093.

I just called them after rechecking what A14 calls for and they told me to take the car back for them to give me a quote on the spark plugs and valve adjustment. Should I still ask for them to replace the serpentine belt or would the labor be ridiculously high? Anything else I might need? I wish I went with the dealer as they had told me they'd charge $1200 which I bet included everything the code calls for whereas I am a bit mad that the local shop didn't even bother looking at what code the car had. Or maybe I should just keep my mouth shut and tell them what code the car showed so they can do their due diligence.
If your at 100k miles, it is time for a set of spark plugs.
I would not do a valve adjustment if their is no valve clatter. This will often cause valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube oil leaks if gaskets are not replaced. Also request a plenum/intake manifold gasket if it's neccessary.
Other things I would do....
Disable the VCM.
Clean MAF.
Replace PCV.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If your at 100k miles, it is time for a set of spark plugs.
I would not do a valve adjustment if their is no valve clatter. This will often cause valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube oil leaks if gaskets are not replaced. Also request a plenum/intake manifold gasket if it's neccessary.
Other things I would do....
Disable the VCM.
Clean MAF.
Replace PCV.
Thank you! I'll skip the valve adjustment and ask the shop to do all that you recommended. I have a 2013 pilot that is now at 101K miles. VCM is disabled but car is still noisy AF when driving.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
At 105k, the water pump should be replaced. You might consider going to an independent shop and request Aisin TKH-002. Might get a better deal, and everything gets replace with OEM quality parts.

Also a good time to replace the serpentine belt.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
3 Posts
[/QUOT
Another member mentioned coolant. Absolutely agree. The water is a no-brainer but suggest also the replacing the radiator hoses and thermostat. Much easier now than on the side of the road. Its done and you don't have to worry about for another 100k miles.

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
115 Posts
Take out a new mortgage... stealership timing belt change, about $1800 around here.

Seriously, time for new plugs and complete coolant change. If you have not done vtm service time for that too. You should also do ps and brake fluid flush if you have not done that earlier.

Gonna cost $3000+ at a stealership to do all of this!

Astrobuf

1 - 20 of 22 Posts