Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2010 Pilot from the local dealer this spring with 133k on it. They mentioned they had no record of the TB being 'updated' so I should consider this service. I've seen reference of a reminder code being thrown.. does that always happen? and is that something they would reset when performing this service? See, I'm not certain this may, or may not, have been done by the previous owner and I'm not sure if there's a way to tell..(?)

·
Registered
336 Posts
It is unlikely there is a way to tell. It it were performed by a Honda dealership, there would be records of it that Honda would be able to look up. The only other thing you could do is pay for a Carfax report in the event that an outside service company was used, and they log their maintenance records electronically. I like having the full possible service history of any used car.

Physically it would be difficult to tell. You could remove a timing cover, and rotate the engine clockwise while looking for any evidence of a replacement belt, such as a non-asian brand (Gates, Continental, Dayco, etc)

You could look at the timing belt tensioner, and see if it was leaking... that would be evidence the job needs to be done and this was not replaced.

When in doubt, you replace it, along with pulleys, tensioner, water pump, and bolts. Whenever you buy a used car like this, and you do not have PROOF it was done, you assume it was not and plan/price the offer accordingly. If this was a Honda dealer you purchased it from, I would have negotiated to have them do the work to make the deal.

When the maintenance minder code was set, it triggered around 105k miles. However, resetting this is the same as resetting for a oil change reminder. If the previous owner knew they were going to sell/trade it soon, they probably said "screw it".

·
Registered
192 Posts
What's your Pilot worth, with a blown engine?

Don't gamble..... CHANGE IT..... cheaper than an engine replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advise. Since the dealership said they had to record of it being done I'll go with that assumption. They gave me a quote of $900 for the TB and water pump portion of it. I'm content with that. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I bought a used 2010 Pilot from the local dealer this spring with 133k on it. They mentioned they had no record of the TB being 'updated' so I should consider this service. (?)
I know it's too late, but it would have been better to negotiate that into the purchase of the vehicle; if there wasn't any confirmed record of the timing belt service having been done then that should have been negotiated into the sale. But the good thing is that you're at least aware of it now and asking the right questions here.

Thanks for the advise. Since the dealership said they had to record of it being done I'll go with that assumption. They gave me a quote of $900 for the TB and water pump portion of it. I'm content with that. Thanks for the input.
You should check and see if that includes the idler pulley, tensioner pulley, and tensioner itself. When I was shopping around for quotes on timing belt replacements, I noticed that most of the dealers had lower prices than independent shops however they weren't changing the water pump or pulleys, just the timing belt itself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts