Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was changing the timing belt today on my 2014 Pilot. I am mostly done but stopped because my stool slipped and I fell onto my chest. Bruised or broken rib...not sure. But it really hurt. So I packed it in. I was mostly done but after replacing the belt, water pump, and pulleys, I have these 2 large bolts sitting here. They are not the 2 vertical bolts going into the motor mount, I have those and these are larger than those. So while I recover from my injury and before I finish....where do these 2 bolts go? They have a 17mm head and are 3 inches long.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I looked under the hood of my 2006. I know it could be different. I saw a number of places that used large bolts like these, but my best guess is that they are motor mount bolts. It could be a pulley bolt, but I doubt it in your case, since the timing belt wouldn't go on right with a pulley or two missing.

As far as the ribs, I have weak ribs, and have messed mine up several times. Anymore, as soon as it happens, I'm blazing a trail to my Chiropractor, saying I have a rib out. A couple of big cracks later, and I feel a whole lot better. I have found no other solution to rib pain than this.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I have these 2 large bolts sitting here. They are not the 2 vertical bolts going into the motor mount, I have those and these larger than those. So while I recover from my injury and before I finish....where do these 2 bolts go? They have a 17mm head and are 3 inches long.

View attachment 146804
Hope you heal up well! I know you said they are not the vertical motor mount bolts but they certainly look like the bolts for the passenger side motor mount I had issues with in my TLC build.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They were too big to fit into the motor mount and besides...I have those already. And they were too big in diameter to fit there. All the new pulleys are already installed. Unless they are from a completely different vehicle / project, but I cleaned up the floor before I started.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,320 Posts
They were too big to fit into the motor mount and besides...I have those already. And they were too big in diameter to fit there. All the new pulleys are already installed. Unless they are from a completely different vehicle / project, but I cleaned up the floor before I started.
I can think of any 17mm bolts that would be involved in a timing belt water pump job, other than the engine mount.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Possibly the bolts going horizontal for the engine mount to the engine itself? I recall there were a couple that were hidden in there...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Possibly the bolts going horizontal for the engine mount to the engine itself? I recall there were a couple that were hidden in there...
Thank you, but I already installed those 3 bolts also. That portion of the engine mount is installed. It's a mystery but my wife is kinda freaking out. It's not like having bolts left over is unusual...I have a bolt or two left over from projects all the time. But nothing this large.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
What bothers me is that they look like Honda bolts.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Did the kit come with new bolts that you may have used in place of these?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Did the kit come with new bolts that you may have used in place of these?
I bought the standard Aisin kit from Rock Auto. No bolts came with the kit.

By the way, I also bought the fat 19mm socket and a new impact gun. Took the crankshaft bolt off in 2 seconds. I bought the pulley holder tool thingy for bolt installation. Soon to be for sale...19mm fat socket and holder tool thingy.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No. I haven't got that far yet but there is only one bolt which holds that tensioner and I have that bolt still sitting right next to it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Is there a chance you swapped these partial threaded bolts with full threaded bolts somewhere else?

Oh man...That's why I take pictures (sometimes video) of when I do a large teardown! Nothing worse that having leftover parts!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Maybe I am remembering the wrong vehicle, but isn't that passenger side bracket and mount a two part affair with like 5 large bolts total?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
A-ha! I think that's it! I didn't bolt the mount itself to the fender. It's the top 12 x 1.25 bolts. I'll have to undo some stuff and do that. Well, thank you very much. Now I have to lean on the edge of the car to finish that up and that hurts already.

I feel stupid. I would have eventually figured that out I'm sure.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nothing worse that having leftover parts!
I can probably think of something worse...something involving electricity and sharp objects.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
A-ha! I think that's it! I didn't bolt the mount itself to the fender. It's the top 12 x 1.25 bolts. I'll have to undo some stuff and do that. Well, thank you very much. Now I have to lean on the edge of the car to finish that up and that hurts already.

I feel stupid. I would have eventually figured that out I'm sure.
I really had anxiety over this. I'm like these are Honda bolts for the engine mount. But I assumed you had it bolted. Really glad you figured it out.
😅

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.