Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 pilot touring has almost 50,000 miles.
Is it recommended to change the timing belt and do water pump inspection now? The vehicle is 7 years and 5 months old.
Thank you!

·
Registered
2019 Honda Pilot Touring AWD
66 Posts
Yes timing belt is recommended at 7 years or 105,000 miles whichever comes first. I’d also replace the water pump, timing belt tensioner, and drive belt with timing belt replacement.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Were's that popcorn emogi?

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,166 Posts
OP, if you go by standard recommendation the belt should be replaced at the seven year mark even if it doesn’t have that many miles on it.
I was in your shoes on a 2005 Pilot back in 2012. I gambled and waited four more years and 30k more miles before having the service performed, That was my risk threshold. Note if the belt breaks the engine will likely be toast, so factor that into your decision.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
The factory has officially abandoned the 7-years guidance, in favor of the Maintenance Minder that alerts you at about 105k. I personally think the 7-year guidance is still pretty relevant though. Im a the same age/milegae on the same 2013 car, and plan to do the belt early next summer. My 2013 is an early October 2012 build, received end of October, so it will be 8.5 years old when I do the service. I have no clue the mfr date on the belt itself. Lots of speculation involved.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
The factory has officially abandoned the 7-years guidance,
How convenient.
Have they done the calculation that it's more profitable to replace engines than doing timing belt water pump jobs?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Any bets on if your belt breaks prior to mm telling you to do, that Honda will pay for it? They suggest 60k under certain conditions.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Any bets on if your belt breaks prior to mm telling you to do, that Honda will pay for it? They suggest 60k under certain conditions. View attachment 143164
Well since I fall in between those 2 temperature ranges, the MM will dictate. Will MM sugest a timing belt change because of age?

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
as long as it gets out of warranty, it did it's job.
Thus, for those keeping a Honda v6 past its warranty, you might want to change your water pump and timing belt components every 7 years.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
The Maintenance Minder has no clock or calendar, so all 'periodic' maintenance tasks are relegated to the Owner's Manual for scheduling. Things like coolant and brake fluid changes are mentioned there in the manual but not on the Maintenance Minder display. The seven-year belt change interval may or may not still be applicable; I would think that they would have added that to the list with the other periodic tasks, but not so.

Meanwhile, belt materials and technology have taken some giant steps since the earliest days. Steel reinforcement was replaced with glass fibers and now are Kevlar aramid fiber. The construction of the belts has changed to a round-tooth design that's a lot more forgiving of a little stretching than the old square-tooth designs. The rubber is much better suited to the environmental conditions so lasts a lot longer. Tensioner design has improved immensely, accommodating belts stretch and block expansion without adding significantly to tension on the belt. All of these things contribute to greater belt life expectancy.

That said, grease in the rollers turns to soap/wax over time. Springs and any damping fluid in the tensioners get tired or leak out. The various sprockets wear especially under dirty/dusty conditions. Oil can leak in from a number of places like cam tower seals, oil pump seals, cam cover seals, crankshaft seals, dipstick seals, and more. Oil and oil fumes/vapors are really tough on belts.

The belt on my 2013 car is now over eight years old in the car, plus whatever time it sat waiting to go into the car. It has maybe fifty thousand gentle miles on it, but the majority of those are technically "severe service" miles. Short trips for the most part. But it lives in a climate-stable garage between uses, and we don't have smog here in the mountains the way metro areas do.

For peace of mind it will get a new belt and pieces in the spring. It will take me the best part of a lazy wrench day doing it, with all the cleaning and seals/bearings/tensioner/pump replacement. Plus the other WYAIT tasks that go along with it, like thermostat and coolant replacement. Sounds like a fun day, doesn't it?

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
740 Posts
The Maintenance Minder has no clock or calendar
This is not correct for all mm, starting in 18/19 depending on model. They will absolutely count down oil life sitting on the lot, without being driven or started. Guessing other mm suggestions too.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Sounds like a fun day, doesn't it?
I did it this last August. It wasn’t my idea of fun but no worse than most tbelts. I suggest having replacement plastic clips for the fender liners handy. They don’t make those like they used to. Most of mine broke coming out. 68k miles, 2013, garage kept, fairly moderate climate... and those clips were BRITTLE.

This is not correct for all mm, starting in 18/19 depending on model. They will absolutely count down oil life sitting on the lot, without being driven or started. Guessing other mm suggestions too.
99% sure the earlier ones like mine have no calendar function. The MM system on mine is about the worst reminder system that I’ve seen. They had the technology to set drivers settings in the dash but not tell you wtf those codes even mean, show you when something is due, or reset items individually. Ugh.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts