Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep waiting for the maint. minder to tell me this needs to be replaced but I reset it after changing the oil yesterday and the only thing it said is change the transmission and transfer case fluid. I suppose I could have missed it in a previous oil change but I'm usually pretty good about those things. Does the mileage seem excessively high for an original belt? I'm very gentle on my cars with easy acceleration and braking and only tow a popup camper about once a year. I live in Pennsylvania so climate is moderate. What do you think?
2012 Pilot EX 4WD.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Agreed. My MM just came on yesterday for it at 106,000 miles. B-146

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
I keep waiting for the maint. minder to tell me this needs to be replaced but I reset it after changing the oil yesterday and the only thing it said is change the transmission and transfer case fluid. I suppose I could have missed it in a previous oil change but I'm usually pretty good about those things. Does the mileage seem excessively high for an original belt? I'm very gentle on my cars with easy acceleration and braking and only tow a popup camper about once a year. I live in Pennsylvania so climate is moderate. What do you think?
2012 Pilot EX 4WD.
The old pre-MM time and mileage based maintenance schedule called for the timing belt to be replaced at 7-years/105K-miles, whichever came first.
On that basis, you're not quite due according to mileage but overdue according to time.
I've been under mileage both times and waited about nine years before having it done.
Unless you consider it a DIY job, I'd start getting quotes from local dealers/shops and arrange to have it done soon.

·
Registered
506 Posts
If you plan to keep the vehicle in the family for the long haul, do it now, as well as new plugs and valve adjustment.

You're close anyway, you'll have to do it anyway. You might as well get the benefits of new stuff. You probably won't still have it when it needs another new one at 197k miles.

If you'll be selling within 20k, don't even bother. Someone will buy it either way.

It's a good driveway DIY job, if you have the time, the tools and you're into that kind of thing. If not, get a few quotes from independent shops, as xGS suggests.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Timing belt service around 1k at a shop, new engine, around 6k. Guess it depends on if your a gambler or not.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
As mentioned the TB is not only mileage dependent but also time dependent. For best results get the TB done for another trouble free 7yr/105K

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
I'm old school and change the belt every 90k. In my opinion, your overdue.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
i just got the tb replaced on my 2012 at 125k last week. I asked to see the belt and just like on my last pilot (05 done at 9yrs/120k), you could barely tell the old from new. both have lived their whole lives in the deep south fwiw.
You've beat the odds. Will you beat the odds again? Some haven't and lost big time.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
At 142K on my 08, the tensioner went. Valves did not hit the piston.
Had it replaced. I won't go that far again, I just wasn't being that mindful of these things- then.

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
I gamble on aftermarket parts quite often, as noted in this forum. Never a timing belt though.
The difference is that when a cheap aftermarket CV joint/axle fails, it's just an inconvenience, but it won't ruin the engine - whereas using a cheap aftermarket timing belt (or tensioner or water pump) has that potential.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
The difference is that when a cheap aftermarket CV joint/axle fails, it's just an inconvenience, but it won't ruin the engine - whereas using a cheap aftermarket timing belt (or tensioner or water pump) has that potential.
Exactly! Though I do not recommend aftermarket in all instances. This is not to villainize every aftermarket or rebuilt part. I have many successful experiences. Aisin TKH002 timing belt water pump kit has been one of the greatest success stories.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
When that cheap aftermarket CV joint/axle fails you could be in for a bad one-way ride

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Well this thread couldn't be more timely... our '15 has around 70k miles on it now and I've been debating if I replace it this year or not since I'm technically at 7 years since manufacture.

I just emailed a couple dealers in my area to see what the current rates are, if I can't get the timing belt/water pump/tensioner for ~$750 I'll probably do it myself. With 3 kids under 7 it will likely turn into a two weekend project which is the type of thing I try to avoid right now.

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
Well this thread couldn't be more timely... our '15 has around 70k miles on it now and I've been debating if I replace it this year or not since I'm technically at 7 years since manufacture.

I just emailed a couple dealers in my area to see what the current rates are, if I can't get the timing belt/water pump/tensioner for ~$750 I'll probably do it myself. With 3 kids under 7 it will likely turn into a two weekend project which is the type of thing I try to avoid right now.
Are you planning to include spark plug replacement and/or valve clearance adjustment along with the timing belt job?

You might want to also check prices at any nearby Acura dealers.
I had the first timing belt job done at an Acura dealer because they quoted a lower price than the Honda dealer, plus they provided an MDX as a free loaner.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts

1 - 20 of 26 Posts