Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 EX-L is at 200k miles. Value on a private party sale is $5500. Needs $2000-$2400 in repairs (both converters, oil pan gasket, possible v-tech solenoid). Is it time to get rid of it?

·
Registered
223 Posts
10+ year old car with 200+k miles-----Unless you can fix it all yourself with wholesale / junkyard parts, it's time to sell.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
809 Posts
Well, have you recently done the timing belt? Do you have cash on hand to buy a car or would you need a car payment. Do you like new and interesting technology or are you fine with what you have?
To me, a car whose history I know is worth it more to me, BUT I am odd in that I don’t care for new technology. However, given it’s not worth a ton, there’s always a chance you could put the money into it and it could be totaled the next day. So all in all, you’ll have to make the decision with what works best for you financially and otherwise. You could always shop around for a cheaper cost to repair.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Agree with Tanner. Over 200k you better be able to do it all yourself, and even then, be pragmatic enough to "know when to fold 'em"

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 2009 EX-L is at 200k miles. Value on a private party sale is $5500. Needs $2000-$2400 in repairs (both converters, oil pan gasket, possible v-tech solenoid). Is it time to get rid of it?
Just keep it, for the converters, unless they're plugged up, do the sparkplug defouler trick (I've done it for my converters and pass smog here in CA no problem. Oil pan gasket, when you do an oil change, drop it, clean it and lather it up with some gasket maker, done. V tech solenoid, very rare for those to go out? is it just leaking and maybe need to change the gasket only? Youtube and the service manual are your friends. The last time I spent clost to $2000 in repairs, was when I engine swapped my pilot when I first go it. $1400 for the engine, and the rest for new timing belt and etc. parts. Your repairs will probably be like $50 if you DIY.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts