Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 with 376,000.
Maintained it well over the years but current power steering rack leaks like a sieve and needs replacing. Firewall also is cracked. Original engine and trans.
Time to let it go?

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'd have a really hard time putting any money into that. Great job.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Your call. Nothing lasts forever. Maybe you are ready for a new 2020 4Runner? Let someone else fix it or junk it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think it comes down to sentimental value here. If you can get rid of it I agree with the 4Runner idea. New pilots aren’t the same but a 4Runner is still the tank these things once were.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
look on the bright side that's a simple repair just tedious since a lot of things need to be moved out of the way .. if everything else is running great i would just fix it .. look what i'm up against .. OIL pump leaking need replacement , rack and pinion shot leaking as hell , valves ticking away could be a Timing belt tensioner issue , coolant smell RAD may be shot , ball joints shot, rear shocks and front need replacement front bearings may need replacement cant really tell since i have 255's on it fuel pump regulator / sending unit going out the door needle jumps all over the place.. so If your only complaint is a rack n pinion job count your blessings :) ... BTW how to hell did you crack the firewall?

And the 4runner sucks you get less gas mileage and only seats 7!

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,042 Posts
Your Pilot has done you well. If you can make it your project vehicle that could be fun. But if you’re going to pay someone to replace the rack it might be time to let the Pilot go since repair will likely exceed value of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Your Pilot has done you well. If you can make it your project vehicle that could be fun. But if you’re going to pay someone to replace the rack it might be time to let the Pilot go since repair will likely exceed value of the vehicle.
The price of gas is already exceeding the value of the Pilot :D It's $400 new from rockauto

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
945 Posts
That's a tough one. You could put a ton of money into the car and someone could hit it the next day and total it. (Obviously I hope that never happens). On the other hand, a car that you know the history of is worth way more than some random used car you may buy. I noticed some talk about a 4Runner, and if you can afford that then drop the Pilot as soon as possible and RUN to the Toyota dealer and never look back. That is a lifetime car in my eyes. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Seats 5 less mileage mpg ...nah I will pass I do love the option of the off road suspension options ,, and it's a Toyota like Honda long ago they were built like tanks ..not anymore

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Did you try PS stop leak? Some recommend a 250 something fluid, but I drained my system of Honda PS fluid and refilled with Valvoline Max Life ATF. The leak has been reduced already. Only drove it 2 months.

Reactions: 97trophy

·
Registered
407 Posts
We have had 3 cars (Camry, Accord & a Pilot) where small power steering leaks have cured with a new fluid flush and AT 205 seal 'repair'.

I think AT 205 is stronger than Maxlife but either / or both worth a try.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
376,000 miles, that's awesome, my 2004 with 210k, had the trans rebuilt couple months after which sucked but had to have the ship do it, it's my family's primary no choice. I'm a heavy equipment mechanic by trade and do all my repairs if I can, it's all nuts and bolts right. Before I do any repair I watch all the YouTube I can and forums, especially this one, keep an open mind, there is more than one way to skin a cat. When I did my TB I felt like deja Vu, took 6 hrs, one tip on breaking the main crank pulley loose would be to use quality extensions, not harbor freight trust me, and a jack stand to support the down force. As of now the whole front suspension has been gone through ending with the sway bar bushings, I change the trans filter every 6 months using OEM fluid, the AC flux capacitor thingy up under the passenger side dash, shocks and struts, EGR plenum plate cleaning, window regulator, coolant manifold gasket, ect...
Ive added airlift springs
One thing I've found while working on the pilot is I feel Honda engineers designed it to be easily serviceable, and I love over that. I have been fighting the urge to buy something newer but as the saying goes it's easier to deal with the devil you know than the one you don't.
These early built pilots I think will keep going with minimal maintenance and the occasional repair. Let's keep sharing our experiences and helping each other from an expensive car payment. Thanks all.

·
Registered
200 Posts
2005 with 376,000.
Maintained it well over the years but current power steering rack leaks like a sieve and needs replacing. Firewall also is cracked. Original engine and trans.
Time to let it go?
Are you in the rust belt? I personally live in a rust state (Michigan), where it's common on many vehicles to have the body and frame metals corrode before the mechanicals fail to the point of no return...

If you're not, and the body is in good shape, then I think it's hard to justify NOT fixing it unless you WANT something newer. In the big picture, the cost of repair is much less than a 5 yr auto loan. 20 years ago, most experts agreed that a vehicle was worth $200 a month - so if you have a $1000 repair, you needed to drive it for at least 6 months to see a positive return (5 months * 200 = 1000, month 6 puts you less than 1000 and into the positive). I think the number is now likely closer to $400 a month - so it won't take long to pay for itself - as long as nothing else goes wrong. Depending on how bad it is, the firewall crack can be repaired by a welder for probably a few hundred $$ or less.

Also consider the value of fixing it and then selling it compared with just scrapping it. If you fix it, drive it for a few months while you look for a new car and then sell it - it's going to get you a decent return on your investment compared to just sending it to the scrapper for $200-300. For me, this would also be the worst time to scrap a car, largely because scrap steel prices typically peak in the summer and plummet in the winter in most snow states.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts