Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at the honda instructions and it looks like a pretty easy job. I have one question: how hard is it to remove the plugs underneath the car? The instructions talk about needing a special tool, but it looks like a pair of pliers would do the job. Any advice?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Plug tool

I used a pair of 3-4" long skinny needlenose pliers. With the pliers closed, you poke the center of the plug in, inserting the pliers about an inch, then open the pliers and pull the plug out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I used my fingers and a screw on the more "stubborn" ones. They all popped out real easy. No problem...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another vote for "no problem". I used the needle-nose "poke-and-pull" method too.

The only problem I had was that I was shorted 12 flange nuts. A quick trip to Lowe's and $2.50 fixed that easier than complaining about it would have.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Do it yourself, it took about 3 hours to do but I was watching football on the TV on the counter from underneath the Pilot. Without distracting my self I'm sure it could have been even quicker. The needle-nose trick worked about the best on the plugs. Just remember to leave everything loose while you put the board in place. That way you can set it front to back as well as it's tightness to the frame.

Have fun, you'll like this project. It's sturdy when you're done AND really easy.

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: How about these OEM running boards?

humanpole said:
Check out this Ebay link for Pilot OEM running boards with or without lights. They're considerably less expensive and they seem to be made well. I've even checked the feedback on a few buyers and they seem to be quite happy.
Would any of you recommnend for or against buying these??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2401360496&category=6766
I was planning to install one and found your link to the e-bay site and I bought it. It came yesterday and after I try to install it and I don't recommend you to buy it. The reason is the mounting brackets are not factory like, there is 1 screw per contact point to the vehicle and the factory ones have two. This is not a big problem but the biggest problem is the last bracket needs to bore a bigger existing hole and there is no existing hole for its vertical bracket. That means you need to drill holes !! However it said on the site that it is NOT universal product but it seems like it to me. I haven't decide what to do yet because the cost of shipping is $45 and to ship back may cost me another $45 ! Unless you few comfortable to bore and drill holes, then this deal is good.
One more thing there is no instruction to tell you how to tap into the door light to get power for the running board light, you need to figure it yourself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts