Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am at my wear indicator and have to pick a new tires. My last set I am very happy with. Michelin LTX. They weren't cheap, but worked fine for a car that spends 97% of it's time on paved roads. I am looking at the new Michelin Premier or Defender as my next time, but dang!...$168 per tire at Tire Rack. I was wondering if anyone was enjoying a lower priced tire on their Pilot

I have the same Michelin LTX's on my 03 Pathfinder and they are due to be replaced soon as well.

Update - Looking closely at the Kumho Crugen which is very similar to the LTX, but about $60 less per tire. That is very tempting.

·
Registered
653 Posts
There is an entire section on tires and wheels, have a look to see if it provides the info you need
https://www.piloteers.org/forums/65-tires-wheels/

Re. Michelin Premier, I put a set on my vehicle in April this year and they seem to have a nicer ride that the old LTX. If the $168 price includes installation and road hazard warranty, it sounds about right. You may be able to get them for a few dollars less at one of the warehouse clubs.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
I am at my wear indicator and have to pick a new tires. My last set I am very happy with. Michelin LTX. They weren't cheap, but worked fine for a car that spends 97% of it's time on paved roads. I am looking at the new Michelin Premier or Defender as my next time, but dang!...$168 per tire at Tire Rack.
I'm in a similar situation. The LTX M/S tires on my Pilot have plenty of tread depth remaining but they've developed cracks in the bottom of the tread.

One tire I'm considering is the Firestone Destination LE2. Walmart's price is currently about $91. GM dealers will match that price and through the end of November are offering a $70 rebate - which is doubled if you use a GM credit card. That same rebate is applicable to General and Michelin tires, as well.

Another budget option is the Hankook Dynapro HT RH12, which is $89 at Walmart. The GM rebate for that brand (along with Bridgestone, Goodyear, Continental and Pirelli) is $100/$200.

Update - Looking closely at the Kumho Crugen which is very similar to the LTX, but about $60 less per tire. That is very tempting.
Walmart's current price for the Kumho Crugen HT51 is $90.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I recently changed from Firestone Destinations which still had tread remaining above wear markers, but hydroplanning was horrible.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Just put Yokohama Geolandar A/T on the Pilot after the Michelin LTX M/S2 tires wore out around 35k miles. Previous set of BFG tires lasted 38k miles.
The Geolandars cost me $660 out the door with lifetime rotations, balancing, and 3 year road hazard coverage. Tax was $50 of the cost. There was a rebate for $60 so total cost came down to $600 for the set.
I can’t afford to put premium tires on the Pilot if I’m not going to get 40k miles on a set.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Glad to hear in not the only one. I checked my records and I have only had these Michelins about 43k miles. I rotate and balence every oil change which isn't 5k but close enough that it shouldn't take 20k miles off the life. These were supposed to be 70k mile tires. My last set got 60k. This is making me consider the less expensive tire even more. Also wonder if I have some sort of suspension or other issue causing this excessive wear?

I have the same tires on my 03 Pathfinder and they are almost out as well and they got about 55k out of them. I rotate every 5k (and change oil) on this car.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
If all your tires wore evenly you can file a warranty claim with Michelin. I did this with the BFGs (that’s how I ended up with the LTX M/S2 since they are sister companies). Decided for the Michelins it wasn’t worth the hassle and I really wouldn’t net any cost savings since I wasn’t going with those two brands again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts