Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Pilot Touring with about 127k miles

Tighten Fuel Cap message won't go away no matter what we do and I'm about to lose my mind! Please help. Here's the details:

1. Started with the "Tighten Fuel Cap" message (not engine code, just a message in the message board).
- Replaced the gas cap with an after market one from Auto Zone, then read that those sometimes don't work, so ended up getting a new OEM Honda one. The message would go away then
come back a couple times a week until one day it turned into an actual engine code with the message switching to say "Check Emissions System".

2. Had the engine codes run and it was saying Evap Purge Valve leak, so I replaced that. It was quick and easy to do.

3. We cleared the codes and it lasted for about 5 days, then the Tighten Fuel Cap message came back on the message board, but no engine codes. After a week or so it turned into an engine code
like before with the Check Emissions System message.

4. Had the codes run again and it was now saying Evap Purge Valve failure, so replaced it again (was under warranty) and decided to replace the Evap Purge Canister while at it.

5. Cleared all the codes and all was well for about 10 days, but the darn "Tighten Fuel Cap" message just popped back up today.

Really getting old, so hoping someone knows what the problem is and what needs to be done to fix this before I go insane!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Tighten Fuel Cap message won't go away no matter what we do and I'm about to lose my mind! Please help. Here's the details:

1. Started with the "Tighten Fuel Cap" message (not engine code, just a message in the message board).
- Replaced the gas cap with an after market one from Auto Zone, then read that those sometimes don't work, so ended up getting a new OEM Honda one. The message would go away then
come back a couple times a week until one day it turned into an actual engine code with the message switching to say "Check Emissions System".

2. Had the engine codes run and it was saying Evap Purge Valve leak, so I replaced that. It was quick and easy to do.

3. We cleared the codes and it lasted for about 5 days, then the Tighten Fuel Cap message came back on the message board, but no engine codes. After a week or so it turned into an engine code

4. Had the codes run again and it was now saying Evap Purge Valve failure, so replaced it again (was under warranty) and decided to replace the Evap Purge Canister while at it.

5. Cleared all the codes and all was well for about 10 days, but the darn "Tighten Fuel Cap" message just popped back up today.

Really getting old, so hoping someone knows what the problem is and what needs to be done to fix this before I go insane!

·
Registered
43 Posts

I had the same issue a while back.. leave gas cap loose and drive around until check engine light comes on, pull over and tighten fuel cap then go home and disconnect battery and reconnect after 15 min, should reset then

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You say codes.

What are the codes?
Sorry, I forgot to post the code #'s and now I can't remember them, but this most recent time the code popped up it said it was the Mass Flow sensor, so I replaced that and all codes and lights have gone away. It's been almost a week and still no CEL, yet. Hopefully it stays away this time!

But, something new just popped up:

Saturday after my wife filled up her Pilot with fuel, when she went to start the vehicle it wouldn't start. She said it would start cranking and almost turn over but wouldn't. She tried a bunch more times and after 5-10 minutes it finally fired up.

We drove it multiple times this weekend since then and it didn't happen again, until this morning, she went to fuel up and it happened to her again.

Any ideas what this could be? Maybe a fuel pump malfunction?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the same issue a while back.. leave gas cap loose and drive around until check engine light comes on, pull over and tighten fuel cap then go home and disconnect battery and reconnect after 15 min, should reset then
I think we got it fixed! (hoping and praying, ha ha!)

This most recent time the CEL code popped up it said it was the Mass Flow sensor, so I replaced that and all codes and lights went away immediately after I started the vehicle without me clearing them or doing anything. It's been almost a week and still no CEL, yet. Hopefully it stays away this time!

But, something new just popped up:

Saturday after my wife filled up her Pilot with fuel, when she went to start the vehicle it wouldn't start. She said it would start cranking and almost turn over but wouldn't. She tried a bunch more times and after 5-10 minutes it finally fired up.

We drove it multiple times this weekend since then and it didn't happen again, until this morning, she went to fuel up and it happened to her again.

Any ideas what this could be? Maybe a fuel pump malfunction?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fuel pump is one potential cause-as it could be on any car. How empty does she let it go?

Duplicate threads merged
She hardly ever lets it get below 1/2 tank, but I have driven it to empty multiple times before filling it up, but she's the primary driver of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts